Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 815 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Lightbulb "Icing" On the Cake Storm Headed for NYC

Notice Gov. Cuomo calls homes without heat "uninhabitable." Another of your growing list of reasons why a wood-burning stove would've been a good idea. Those who forgot to stock up the first time can maybe do better this time around.

The National Weather Service predicted Sunday that a Nor'easter that could include gusts of up to 55 mph is likely to reach the area by Wednesday and could compound the havoc brought by last week's violent weather. "Prepare for more outages," advised weather service meteorologist Joe Pollina. "Stay indoors. Stock up again." He said the new storm wouldn't be nearly as strong as Sandy, but could pack winds "stronger than usual, even strong for a Nor'easter." Meanwhile, cold temperatures streamed in and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that means "tens of thousands" of people whose homes were damaged by the superstorm will need other places to live. "It's going to become increasingly clear" that homes without heat are uninhabitable, the governor said. He said residents who have been reluctant to leave their homes will be forced to and will need housing.

Encore Storm Headed Toward NYC Metro Area

Patti

Thanks
    Thanked 6,575 Times in 3,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: "Icing" On the Cake Storm Headed for NYC

just out of curiosity, how much firewood do you think there is in NYC?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

That's actually a good question. I'm hedging my bet and going with a propane generator and storing enough to last me 2 weeks. I don't have the room to store wood and there aren't enough trees on my tiny property to last.

4. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    That's actually a good question. I'm hedging my bet and going with a propane generator and storing enough to last me 2 weeks. I don't have the room to store wood and there aren't enough trees on my tiny property to last.
    That's my point- a lot of the problems from Sandy are on Staten Island, which is overpopulated and lacks wooded areas. And the people that live there don't exactly have excess space to store wood. Wood-burning stoves are not the cure all that Patti is making it sound.

If you live in the suburbs or rural areas, and have easy access to wood plus some space to store it, she might be onto something because having a plan B is never a bad idea. At the same time, it's not the magic solution for every situation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

And good luck getting through Round 2.

This storm seems like a typical November storm for the northeast and it probably wouldn't be much of a problem if everything wasn't still so screwed up from Sandy.

Registered User YankeeInRaleigh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I cannot believe i'm going to admit this...but i'm listening to NPR today, they're interviewing people on staten island, and one of the ladies goes "We've been without power for X amount of time, and the estimates say we wont get it for another week. Boy, I really wish I had a wood burning stove right about now"

And the freaking INSTANT she said that, Patti popped into my head.

I guess you were right patti. Although the question remains...what wood would a staten islander burn if a staten islander could burn wood?

8. Post thanked by:

Lucidvizion (11-09-2012)

rodger dorn of predictions Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    That's my point- a lot of the problems from Sandy are on Staten Island, which is overpopulated and lacks wooded areas. And the people that live there don't exactly have excess space to store wood. Wood-burning stoves are not the cure all that Patti is making it sound.

If you live in the suburbs or rural areas, and have easy access to wood plus some space to store it, she might be onto something because having a plan B is never a bad idea. At the same time, it's not the magic solution for every situation.
    How much oil does Staten Island pump out of the ground? How much of its own food does it grow? Do they make their own clothes?

I mean really, if you own a wood-burning stove, you don't harvest the tree in your front yard, you buy it from people who have large properties and sell firewood. When people say "stock up," you stock up from where you normally get these resources. If you want to know where you can "get" firewood, I'd start with Craigslist or the local paper.

Currently, having neither woodburning stoves nor firewood, Staten Islanders don't need to worry about either. (although they DO need to worry about being someplace warm) Anyone who DOES get a wood-burning stove would be advised to ALSO get a few cords of firewood. From the people who sell it.

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    How much oil does Staten Island pump out of the ground? How much of its own food does it grow? Do they make their own clothes?

I mean really, if you own a wood-burning stove, you don't harvest the tree in your front yard, you buy it from people who have large properties and sell firewood. When people say "stock up," you stock up from where you normally get these resources. If you want to know where you can "get" firewood, I'd start with Craigslist or the local paper.

Currently, having neither woodburning stoves nor firewood, Staten Islanders don't need to worry about either. (although they DO need to worry about being someplace warm) Anyone who DOES get a wood-burning stove would be advised to ALSO get a few cords of firewood. From the people who sell it.

Patti

Are you daft? If they can't get gas to Staten Island, they can't get firewood there either. And have you ever been to NYC? People don't have space to stock up on ANYTHING, let alone a wood-burning stove and the wood to make it work.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

NYC, as of today, is supposed to get rain and wind, but supposed to stay warm enough to avoid snow. low to mid 40s for the day the storm hits. but still, with no power, thats going to be mighty cold.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,568 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    NYC, as of today, is supposed to get rain and wind, but supposed to stay warm enough to avoid snow. low to mid 40s for the day the storm hits. but still, with no power, thats going to be mighty cold.
    The issue isn't snow, its hypothermia especially among children. This could get very ugly, very quickly.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

As Op said patti for most it's a storage issue. I live in the burbs and have the space but if you live in one of the more populated areas there simply isn't the space to stock away wood, extra propane tanks and the other things that you seem to think are needed.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    The issue isn't snow, its hypothermia especially among children. This could get very ugly, very quickly.
    think more people could die in NYC then sandy killed?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Are you daft? If they can't get gas to Staten Island, they can't get firewood there either. And have you ever been to NYC? People don't have space to stock up on ANYTHING, let alone a wood-burning stove and the wood to make it work.
    I am not suggesting Staten Islanders go out and get a wood-burning stove NOW. I'm suggesting that they would be better off if they had one, and that anyone who is not currently having a problem would do well to think about getting one for future disasters and power outages. Getting firewood goes along with that. Where would you store it? In your basement. In your garage. Where would you get it? Suppliers of firewood. Staten Island obtains food that they don't grow, they get gas that they don't refine, they get cash that they don't print, I mean what sort of question is that, "where would they get wood?" You get the stove and wood BEFORE the disaster, not DURING it. (so this is advice for YOU-ALL, not "them.")

As to what they do now, I guess move in with family/friends who have heat. Or get a hotel. In dire cases, people make fires where they are to keep warm, and sometimes they end up accidentally burning down their house. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but when people are cold and desperate, that kind of stuff can happen.

Anyone on this board who lives in a cold climate could use a wood-burning stove, or a fireplace insert. (fireplace insert is necessary if you want to have a fireplace that truly heats your home, rather than just having hot air go out your chimney) Stoves run anywhere from 1-5K, installation is not bad, they can do it in a couple of hours, and generally you don't even need any special insulation, just a fireproof pad to set the stove on. It's nice to get a flat top one that you can also cook on. And buy the firewood ahead of time. From a firewood supplier. Sheesh, if I tell you to stock up on warm socks are you going to tell me that your area's zoning laws don't allow sheep?

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Looking into an insert. Thanks Patti!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Hopefully that won't happen. There are enough locations available with power and heat to accommodate. If it gets that bad, I just hope people know where they can go.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    I am not suggesting Staten Islanders go out and get a wood-burning stove NOW. I'm suggesting that they would be better off if they had one,

And you would be dead wrong with that suggestion. They live in Apartments- there is nowhere to put a stove. There is nowhere to store wood. There is nowhere to put the exhaust pipe.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

and also, storing firewood in your basement or garage (which most people don't even have on Staten Island) is stupid. Ever hear of termites?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,568 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    Hopefully that won't happen. There are enough locations available with power and heat to accommodate. If it gets that bad, I just hope people know where they can go.
    Well as of this morning they still more than 100,000 without power. That's a lot of people who will need places to go in the next 24 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    think more people could die in NYC then sandy killed?
    I certainly hope not. There are relief stations set up that are running either with power or on generators.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

And you would be dead wrong with that suggestion. They live in Apartments- there is nowhere to put a stove. There is nowhere to store wood. There is nowhere to put the exhaust pipe.
    I just randomly googled homes in Staten Island, kept my search to those under 200K. Here's one, built in 1905. The LOT is only 2600 square feet, the house is 1440. It is a short sale with starting bid at 50K. It is teeny tiny, yet I noticed it has a chimney. (Yes, people did manage to heat their homes before gas and electric were available. I believe they used coal and wood). Doesn't say if this house has a basement (although many of the houses on Staten Island seem to have basements, which is a great place to store your wood. Or the garage if you have one) So let's assume there's no basement. However, I looked at the pictures, and I see a nice area where you could easily store wood.

Even This Teeny Staten Island House Has Room For Firewood

Okay, now "apartment" people. If you are RENTING -- doesn't matter if it's an apartment, house or mansion. You are not the owner, you don't have the ability to add a stove or fireplace or anything to your domicile. So if you are a renter you are S.O.L. I suggest renters NOT rent near the shore, but in any case, if you are a renter you're not a prepper. You need the address to the nearest "warming faciliity." Only homeowners can add stoves to their homes. So my advice does not apply to renters.

BF1, if you are going to start using your fireplace (inserts add a LOT of efficiency to the heating equation!), be sure to order a couple cords of firewood. Also it would be a good idea to have your chimney professionally cleaned. A buildup of debris can cause a fire so it's always a good idea to get them cleaned before each winter.

Patti

Thanks
    Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

A lot of these chimneys have been retrofitted to vent the furnace and hot water heater. The fireplaces have been either removed of closed off.

23. Post thanked by:

Lucidvizion (11-09-2012)