Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: "Icing" On the Cake Storm Headed for NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    I just randomly googled homes in Staten Island, kept my search to those under 200K. Here's one, built in 1905. The LOT is only 2600 square feet, the house is 1440. It is a short sale with starting bid at 50K. It is teeny tiny, yet I noticed it has a chimney. (Yes, people did manage to heat their homes before gas and electric were available. I believe they used coal and wood). Doesn't say if this house has a basement (although many of the houses on Staten Island seem to have basements, which is a great place to store your wood. Or the garage if you have one) So let's assume there's no basement. However, I looked at the pictures, and I see a nice area where you could easily store wood.

Even This Teeny Staten Island House Has Room For Firewood

Okay, now "apartment" people. If you are RENTING -- doesn't matter if it's an apartment, house or mansion. You are not the owner, you don't have the ability to add a stove or fireplace or anything to your domicile. So if you are a renter you are S.O.L. I suggest renters NOT rent near the shore, but in any case, if you are a renter you're not a prepper. You need the address to the nearest "warming faciliity." Only homeowners can add stoves to their homes. So my advice does not apply to renters.

BF1, if you are going to start using your fireplace (inserts add a LOT of efficiency to the heating equation!), be sure to order a couple cords of firewood. Also it would be a good idea to have your chimney professionally cleaned. A buildup of debris can cause a fire so it's always a good idea to get them cleaned before each winter.

Patti
    Basements and garages are NOT great places to store wood because of termites. Wood should be stored a fair distance from the house.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

still a friggin gasoline shortage here.

rodger dorn of predictions Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 744 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    A lot of these chimneys have been retrofitted to vent the furnace and hot water heater. The fireplaces have been either removed of closed off.
    You don't need to have a pre-existing fireplace (although that's nice, then you can just add an insert). You can just get a small-sized woodburner and they can vent it right out of your house. Termites are generally not a problem because subterranean termites live underground, not in wood piles. Still, I would agree that having firewood outside is generally preferable than in your basement. The issue is can you have it out of sight and secured, maybe a locked shed, or as I noted in the one house linked above -- they had space under their backyard deck!

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Found out earlier that my fireplace can get an insert put in.

5. Post thanked by:

Discotrish (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

My thoughts and prayers are for all of those on the East Coast who continue to suffer from these storms.

7. Post thanked by:

Discotrish (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    You don't need to have a pre-existing fireplace (although that's nice, then you can just add an insert). You can just get a small-sized woodburner and they can vent it right out of your house. Termites are generally not a problem because subterranean termites live underground, not in wood piles. Still, I would agree that having firewood outside is generally preferable than in your basement. The issue is can you have it out of sight and secured, maybe a locked shed, or as I noted in the one house linked above -- they had space under their backyard deck!

Patti
    termites generally are a problem because the ones that eat wood are not subterranean. They're in wood piles because THAT'S WHAT THEY EAT.

Here in VA, they constantly warn people not to leave firewood too close to their house or deck for that exact reason.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

seriously, people, don't listen to Patti about storing firewood in your garage or basement. If you do, you won't have to worry about waiting for a storm to destroy your house. You'll be able to poke holes in the wood with your fingers after the termites get at it.

In the past I've make sarcastic comments and joked around with her suggestions because, while they are paranoid and crazy, they also weren't harmful if someone actually did them. This one is potentially harmful.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 11-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Skoobasaurus-Rex MitchMurrayDowntown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Goodluck to those that reside in these storm hit areas, our thoughts & Prayers are with you all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    termites generally are a problem because the ones that eat wood are not subterranean. They're in wood piles because THAT'S WHAT THEY EAT.

Here in VA, they constantly warn people not to leave firewood too close to their house or deck for that exact reason.
    The queen and the nest are underground. You can get termites in wood piles, but they will die once separated from the colony, the cannot reproduce. Having said that, I agree with you that having wood in your basement is not the ideal situation, it would not be my first choice for a place to keep it. Obviously better options are out in your yard someplace. However I think we are mixing up two issues. We've been initially talking about a situation of desperation, a survival situation where people might be inclined to steal your wood. Then clearly keeping it protected is a bigger concern than termites. If you are just getting wood in a normal situation then I totally agree, you want to keep it outside, stacked and DRY. (when buying wood, be sure it is seasoned wood)

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    seriously, people, don't listen to Patti about storing firewood in your garage or basement. If you do, you won't have to worry about waiting for a storm to destroy your house. You'll be able to poke holes in the wood with your fingers after the termites get at it.

In the past I've make sarcastic comments and joked around with her suggestions because, while they are paranoid and crazy, they also weren't harmful if someone actually did them. This one is potentially harmful.
    We don't have any disagreement on the storage issue as noted in my post above.

Patti

13. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Fair enough.

I just wanted to be sure people don't do anything stupid and ruin their houses while trying to be prepared.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I'll get a tarp or a small rubbermaid shed.