Thread: Our dog got "skunked" last night.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Our dog got "skunked" last night.

I took him for a walk around our yard. He's a small dog and we have almost 3 acres of land, so it makes a good walk for him. He spotted a skunk and took off after it. I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't have a very firm grip on it. He got a good shot. Then the skunk hustled under a storage shed in our yard. I'm assuming that's what it calls home. This has happened to us before: another house and another dog, but we know the drill. I gave him a bath. No tomato juice - that's just an old myth. My wife wanted to sprinkle coffee grounds on him while he was getting his bath. Supposedly they soak up the smell. I'm skeptical. Otherwise, I just used dog shampoo, and lathered him up good twice. It was messy and unpleasant. We also rubbed some baking soda into his fur after his coat dried. That makes more sense to me. The house still smells some today, not as bad as the last time our dog got skunked. One difference is we don't have nearly as much carpeting in the house now. I think fabric probably soaks up the smells. Our dog still smells some, but it's very faint. I also bought a product at the local Tractor Supply store that is supposed to neutralize skunk smell. We can use that in the laundry to get the smell out of our clothing. In any case that's the last episode of a dog getting skunked that I ever want to have to deal with.

Now we have to figure out how to make the skunk feel unwelcome under our storage shed.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

A wise man doesn't waste effort telling the world he's wise. If it's true, it will be self-evident.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: Our dog got "skunked" last night.

Tomato juice for the dog ,moth balls for the skunk. Or a live trap and throw a blanket over it ,when he is caught then you can release him somewhere else without getting it yourself.
    www.ticats.ca

http://hortontownship.ca/
    A regime does not spend $50 billion on the Olympics if it does not
    care about its international reputation
    PM Stephen Harper, leader of the free world.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

mythbusters did a thing on cleaning up "skunk" and if i remember correctly, tomato juice was the most effective in their study
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I know we did tomato juice with our other dog, and it was worthless. I remember also looking up on the internet and finding a homemade recipe for cleaning the dog that called for hydrogen peroxide and some other stuff. That also didn't help much. Shampooing twice seems more effective than either of those "solutions" in my own experience.

The thing that you have to be aware of in cleaning up skunk smell is that humans are subject to a phenomenon known as "olfactory fatigue." That is, after being exposed to a very powerful and unpleasant smell for a period of time, your brain will start to screan out that smell. You can clean your dog, and think he smells pretty good. Then someone else can come along, who hasn't been exposed to the smell, and will think it still smells awful. You have to go out of the house for a while to really be able to tell if there has been much improvement.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

As far as getting rid of the skunk, I've seen naphtha recommended. That's the active incredient in moth balls. I also saw recommendations for rat poison (warfarin/coumidin) and anti-freeze (ethylene glycol).With moth balls, I'm guessing that while they are toxic, it would be more of a repellent, since you're not going to get them to eat the stuff. The problem with the others is that you have to make sure any pets you have (we have a cat too) cant get into them. Warfarin can be put into some kind of bait (I've heard liver pieces works for skunks) and ethylene glycol is sweet, so a lot of animals like it. Bottom line is if I used any of them, I'd probably want to put a barrier up around the bottom of my shed to keep our cat from trying to get under it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I just looked up Mythbusters, and tomato juice got a "plausible" rating, but the explantion is what I called "olfactory fatigue" in my earlier post. They liked the hydrogen peroxide treatment (which also includes soap and baking soda).

Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Awwww, don't kill it!!!! Try to humanely catch it and release it.

But for the grace of God go I
    I must've been born a lucky guy
    Heaven only knows how I've been blessed
    With the gift of you love
    And I look around and all I see
    Is your happiness embracing me
    Oh Lord I'd be lost
    But for the grace of God

8. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (11-05-2012)

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,812 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Awwww, don't kill it!!!! Try to humanely catch it and release it.
    agreed. the animal should not be destroyed. hope your pup is doing well too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    I know we did tomato juice with our other dog, and it was worthless. I remember also looking up on the internet and finding a homemade recipe for cleaning the dog that called for hydrogen peroxide and some other stuff. That also didn't help much. Shampooing twice seems more effective than either of those "solutions" in my own experience.

The thing that you have to be aware of in cleaning up skunk smell is that humans are subject to a phenomenon known as "olfactory fatigue." That is, after being exposed to a very powerful and unpleasant smell for a period of time, your brain will start to screan out that smell. You can clean your dog, and think he smells pretty good. Then someone else can come along, who hasn't been exposed to the smell, and will think it still smells awful. You have to go out of the house for a while to really be able to tell if there has been much improvement.
    I have done 3 dogs with tomato juice worked every time, it take more then just pouring it on, got to work it in and leave if for a while.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 917 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

hey liked the hydrogen peroxide treatment (which also includes soap and baking soda).

This method by far works the best.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I have always given the dog 2 baths with normal pet shampoo, the I mix a large bottle of Scope mouthwash with a gallon of water and sponge it on the dog. Let it dry and wallah, back to scent free, and nowhere near as messy.

I once had a skunk that kept digging up my dead cat, so I got a live trap and caught it. Put the tarp over the trap during the daylight hours when it was sleeping and carefully loaded it into my truck. I then took it way up the road and set the trap next to a deer trail that led into the woods. While I was waiting for the skunk to come out a State Trooper pulled up. He asked if there was a problem and I told him I was waiting for a skunk to come out of the trap (I still had the tarp over the cage). Well he had to check it out for himself and it was at that moment the skunk came out and promptly sprayed him right square in the chest. I almost fell off the tailgate I was laughing so hard! He puked and snot was running out of his nose. Classic only wish I had a video camera.
    Last edited by mush69; 11-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Don't Mistake Lack Of Talent For Genius

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

If there's some local group willing to do the trapping, I'm happy to let them do it. I'm not going to mess with it myself. I've had enough close encounters of the smelly kind.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    If there's some local group willing to do the trapping, I'm happy to let them do it. I'm not going to mess with it myself. I've had enough close encounters of the smelly kind.
    try calling the local animal control center