• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Re: One image sums up Sunday's game

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    Bill Belichick ran a version of that against the rams in 2001... in the superbowl.

As to that picture. Just throw a freaking screen to the inside WR. if he can't fall forward for 2 yards you need to get him off the football field. I mean that's a straight man defense the texans are running with zero safety overtop.

And yes... without motion or seeing the game or what will happen with the play I can tell the defensive set just looking at a picture. I only feel the need to say that because around these forums this year some strange thinking has settled in that "you can't tell what defense the defense is in" when talking about schemes and player failings about this bills abortion of a defense. To which i reply, if a QB in the NFL can't generally tell what defense the defense is in prior to the snap he has no business being under center. So that thought process is bunk.

The Texans have 7 men at the line, crowding it, in a clear blitz (5 man rush in this case, which qualifies as a blitz), it's straight man on the WR, no safety over-top, one of the LB is in man on the RB, and will follow him into the hole, covering the inside/outside of the run depending on which side the RB goes to (either to close of a cutback or force one depending), the other LB is likely in a read defense, and will either be playing a middle zone or run defense... the 5 men on the line will all pass-rush, likely collapsing inside, probably zero stunts, and no real up-field edge rush, other then to hold the edge against an outside run or bootleg. probably they'll mostly stand up to clog the passing lane on a possible quick slant, rather then rush the passer... the inside 3 will push inside.

That's a pretty easy defense to read, (and anyone who's seen the game feel free to correct me on how it played out past this point) and as a QB, your obvious move would be to audible to a screen pass on the inside WR (probably a spot audible, were everyone else runs the play you called, except the WR and QB), or even audible to a quick out with the target being the slot WR... (that would require the outside WR to run a slant or post, to clear the area, the Safety is too far off the ball to make a play on even a bad pass... 2 yards should be easy to pick up against that defense.
    What he said. Says it all and an honor to read.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• kishoph
      • Jun 2003

There were certainly other options, but in defense of that play (I just watched it), Urbik totally missed his block, which is the reason the play was blown up.

Comment

• we are
        • Oct 2008

My favorite play was when they had Fred split out wide, the Texans put a DL on him and Fitz never even looked that way.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍