Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: Looking At Returns

Quote Originally Posted by Marcala12 View Post
    lol, dude..that doesn't make it any less true now does it? Most professors are liberal; i had a few that used to routinely go off on republican politics; we all have. some of them were cool about it and welcomed debate so i have no problem with them at all. but when you have mostly liberal teachers and mostly impressionable young people..it's not a surprise that a lot of people hop out of college as a liberal. there's a lot of factors, but this is one of them. Campuses are very liberal; if you're a young college student searching for a political identity; it's gonna be a lot easier to find liberals willing to talk to you than it is conservatives. It's not a bad thing dude, but it certainly is the way it is. don't lump me in with people who say, "college campuses are evil; death to professors." i liked some of my professors; but i didn't have any preaching conservatism that's for sure.
    You have this idea that people go into college as lumps of clay and come out liberal because their professors made them that way. Look at the policies, college students are liberal because they are young - young people are liberal by a large margin (look back at post #3) because they are more tolerant on social issues than their parents and because liberal policies tend to favor the young. That's still going to be true whether they go into college or into the workforce.

I went to one of the most liberal schools in the country (Colorado) and while there were liberal profs, there were also plenty of conservative profs in my computer science and economics classes.
    "I love both Dan and Wendy. I love those guys. They work so hard. The center-quarterback relationship is a pretty special one. I've got my hands on their butts probably more than their wives, so it's a pretty unique trust and relationship you have."
    -
    Tom Brady

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

2. Post thanked by:

denverboz (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Forgive me for trying to interject something substantive into the partisan bitching that's currently going on.
    I need a soapbox smiley at my disposal.

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

LOL! So Marcala can't accept that as kids come in to college and get educated, they become liberals on their own...no they are instead indoctrinated by these liberal professors. I guess they should've gone to church instead to learn to believe in things without an ounce of proof...that way they could be like the Conservatives of today - not believing in Evolution, rejecting pregnancy within rapes, and being close minded about gay marriage.

I guess it's a mystery why our youth today reject the Conservative viewpoint...

5. Post thanked by:

denverboz (11-08-2012),gebobs (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,351 Times in 1,817 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    You have this idea that people go into college as lumps of clay and come out liberal because their professors made them that way. Look at the policies, college students are liberal because they are young - young people are liberal by a large margin (look back at post #3) because they are more tolerant on social issues than their parents and because liberal policies tend to favor the young. That's still going to be true whether they go into college or into the workforce.

I went to one of the most liberal schools in the country (Colorado) and while there were liberal profs, there were also plenty of conservative profs in my computer science and economics classes.
    I went to Canisius, and at the time, I would say that most of my professors were pretty conservative, especially for the times...pre-Reagan revolution.

All the Political Science teachers were very conservative. (One went into the CIA upon earning his PhD)
    I had a History teacher who gave us a day off when Reagan was elected. VERY hard line. (Hated Carter with a passion)
    The Catholic priests were pretty conservative too, although perhaps a bit more lenient socially than your average Pastor, considering that they were primarrily dealing with young adults.
    Science....tough to tell.
    English...math...languages...again, tough to tell.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto View Post
    The funny thing is, it's small wonder young people support liberals.

We weren't like our crappy baby boomer parents who hate all things non-white and non-Christian.

We grew up with diversity. We had gay friends. We had Muslim friends. We had atheist friends. We don't think twice about diversity because it's something we already understand intuitively. People are people and we're all in the same boat.

Brain dead zealots in the Republican Party will die a slow painful death in political relevance because they don't understand that their little white cocoon isn't reality.

Bill O'Rielly and Neal Boortz both came out and said that because white people are set to become the minority means that moral decay will run rampant and darkies will steal money from white people.

Which is so insanely racist it's amazing they still get to have their cushy little jobs in broadcasting.

8. Post thanked by:

denverboz (11-08-2012),Ed (11-08-2012),gebobs (11-08-2012),Historian (11-08-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (11-09-2012),mysticsoto (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,566 Times in 2,654 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    I need a soapbox smiley at my disposal.
    I like the use :sarcasm:
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Academia is as liberal as it's going to get. The longer you stay in Academia the more you're hit with liberalism. Teachers/professors have to be 80%+ liberal.
    The last study I saw was 75% left leaning and 25% right, as compared to the "normal" 50:50 split. And if conservatives are worried about this, the answer is simple - persuade more Republicans to give up chasing money and start serving the country at a low wage in universities
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof ~ Christopher Hitchens

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

LOL! So Marcala can't accept that as kids come in to college and get educated, they become liberals on their own...no they are instead indoctrinated by these liberal professors. I guess they should've gone to church instead to learn to believe in things without an ounce of proof...that way they could be like the Conservatives of today - not believing in Evolution, rejecting pregnancy within rapes, and being close minded about gay marriage.

oh i see young people are liberal because they're so damn smart, experienced, and sophisticated compared to the married and middle aged folks who are in the KKK. i get it; young people are smarter...i see. holy s**t you tree huggers have gone mad. go and talk to a 19 year old about something important and you won't be able to stop yourself from slapping them across the face.

dear God, first of all any knucklehead who votes mostly for social issues is part of the problem. the problem being 16 trillion in debt headed for 20. we are on the verge of frying the dollar and you do not care. it's going to take 5+ million dollars to retire well for anyone currently under 40 years old. Will you retire with 5 million or more bud??? will you retire with more than 2 million? we all know the answer in your case is no and not even close. So you can feel great about yourself as you vote for social issues, as if the president has any impact on them anyway...meanwhile we torch the dollar and the economy and we ENSURE you a life of struggle as you won't be able to keep up with inflation. great work, at least we have a president who likes green energy and gay marriage..that's what matters, becoming Greece in a decade is fine as long as companies like Solyndra exist and as long as we have a president who openly supports gay marriage. Great thinking. Almost as good as making young people out to be smarter than their parents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightVoice View Post
    The last study I saw was 75% left leaning and 25% right, as compared to the "normal" 50:50 split. And if conservatives are worried about this, the answer is simple - persuade more Republicans to give up chasing money and start serving the country at a low wage in universities
    never said i was worried about...never. you hippie tree huggers are just trying to start a fight. repeatedly i said colleges are liberal and that's just the way it is.
    Somebody over at another sports forum is insane. He's a fat-ass who has nothing better to do than run a site like he's some type of powerful person when everyone knows that he's a worthless person. Banning people with no explanation when they simply ask a pertinant question in a chatroom? He removes 1000's of threads that have real meaning to people without so much as an explanation. He barely has a pot to piss in, so his only shot of exerting power in his whole life is to act like an internet Hitler. The funny thing is EVERYONE talks so much s*** about the guy behind his back in Pm's etc. because everyone hates him.

PM ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS IN other sports sites - tell them BillsZone is where it's at. BillsZone has a chance to be everything that the other site should have been, but couldn't be because that other guy is so insane.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    The funny thing is, it's small wonder young people support liberals.

We weren't like our crappy baby boomer parents who hate all things non-white and non-Christian.

We grew up with diversity. We had gay friends. We had Muslim friends. We had atheist friends. We don't think twice about diversity because it's something we already understand intuitively. People are people and we're all in the same boat.

Brain dead zealots in the Republican Party will die a slow painful death in political relevance because they don't understand that their little white cocoon isn't reality.

Bill O'Rielly and Neal Boortz both came out and said that because white people are set to become the minority means that moral decay will run rampant and darkies will steal money from white people.

Which is so insanely racist it's amazing they still get to have their cushy little jobs in broadcasting.

yes shame on those baby boomers for working their asses off and making the U.S. the strongest and richest nation on Earth. SHAME, we're just a bunch of bad colonizers and anyone who didn't vote for Obama is a racist. you smug pr**ks will be living in a box in 30 years..a very expensive box. but you'll get exactly what you want; a nation totally preoccupied with making everyone even and not hurting anyone's feelings and killing the capitalist system that sparked the nation's greatness. Me, I'm fine either way, but i feel very sorry for you self hating white guys. It's funny but more people voted for OBama because of race than Romney.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I went to Canisius, and at the time, I would say that most of my professors were pretty conservative, especially for the times...pre-Reagan revolution.

All the Political Science teachers were very conservative. (One went into the CIA upon earning his PhD)
    I had a History teacher who gave us a day off when Reagan was elected. VERY hard line. (Hated Carter with a passion)
    The Catholic priests were pretty conservative too, although perhaps a bit more lenient socially than your average Pastor, considering that they were primarrily dealing with young adults.
    Science....tough to tell.
    English...math...languages...again, tough to tell.

oh thank you for the tip. I guess schools are conservative; it's crazy to think college campuses are liberal. I'm learning so much from you geniuses.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

This is awesome. Keep going, retard.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    This is awesome. Keep going, retard.
    do you have a special keyboard where your fat cheeseburger fingers can type without a problem? Why are you posting so late at night anyway? Is it that pesky sleep apnea thing?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

17. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-09-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (11-09-2012),mysticsoto (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

oh thank you for the tip. I guess schools are conservative; it's crazy to think college campuses are liberal. I'm learning so much from you geniuses.
    Not trying to say that.

Just trying to show that they may not be as liberal as you think.

I know it's only anecdotal, but from what I saw at canis, the history and PSC departments had profs that were pretty conservative.

School of Business, not so much.

Give me at least that the priests were pretty tough on their abortion stance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Who's bitching?
    Rush, Hannity and a Network that starts with F and ends in X.

20. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-09-2012)

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

oh i see young people are liberal because they're so damn smart, experienced, and sophisticated compared to the married and middle aged folks who are in the KKK. i get it; young people are smarter...i see. holy s**t you tree huggers have gone mad. go and talk to a 19 year old about something important and you won't be able to stop yourself from slapping them across the face.

dear God, first of all any knucklehead who votes mostly for social issues is part of the problem. the problem being 16 trillion in debt headed for 20. we are on the verge of frying the dollar and you do not care. it's going to take 5+ million dollars to retire well for anyone currently under 40 years old. Will you retire with 5 million or more bud??? will you retire with more than 2 million? we all know the answer in your case is no and not even close. So you can feel great about yourself as you vote for social issues, as if the president has any impact on them anyway...meanwhile we torch the dollar and the economy and we ENSURE you a life of struggle as you won't be able to keep up with inflation. great work, at least we have a president who likes green energy and gay marriage..that's what matters, becoming Greece in a decade is fine as long as companies like Solyndra exist and as long as we have a president who openly supports gay marriage. Great thinking. Almost as good as making young people out to be smarter than their parents.
    As usual, you read into and insert words that aren't being/weren't said. Nobody said young kids are smarter. What they tend to be is more culturally diverse than the old angry white folk who think every black guy in a hoodie is a hoodlum. You tend to read something that is not there and then go off on tangents and bringing extreme examples. And as for social vs financial issues, you can vote any damn way you want. It's a free country and everyone has their priorities. Here's a clue for you though...most people vote on their candidate standing for a number of issues that they agree with - not just economic. But if it's economic issues that keep you up at night...then the right president won. Romney would've been a nightmare for anyone but the rich...

22. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-09-2012)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,277 Times in 2,068 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

No one but you is saying that all college campuses are to one side of the simplistic political spectrum. Some are more liberal (Harvard, Stanford, Yale). Some are more conservative (Bob Jones, Liberty, West Point).

Historian's point is that, even among these, they aren't monolithically one or the other.

The notion that one's politics are cast by their stay at college and then unaffected by their even longer stay in the corporate world is not even scratching the surface.
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Gailey's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,277 Times in 2,068 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

As usual, you read into and insert words that aren't being/weren't said....You tend to read something that is not there and then go off on tangents and bringing extreme examples.
    Marcala, consciously or not, loves to fight strawmen.

25. Post thanked by:

mysticsoto (11-09-2012)