Thread: mel kiper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

mel kiper

was just on sportscenter saying he doesnt have a qb in his top 10 this year

and that he has matt barkley and geno smith as mid round picks

barkley is 11 on his big board

one thing ive been looking at is the need for a qb by nfl teams.

currently only 3 teams the chiefs, bills and the cardinals do not have a 1st round qb or their franchise qb in place.

you could add that the jets need a qb and maybe the raiders will second guess carson palmer and the rest of the nobodys they have at qb

this is the bills year where we get a qb from the 8th to the 12th pick i pray its BARKLEY

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-08-2012),ThunderGun (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: mel kiper

There are some who think Jacksonville is fed up with Blaine Gabbert. I do think the chances are good Buffalo will pick a QB this year, but then I've thought that for the last couple of drafts. I don't think there is anyone who is in the same ballpark as RGIII and Andrew Luck, but I think there are a few future starters to be had. Barkley will be OK, I think. He doesn't have any elite qualities, but he's steady. I'm assuming you're down on Geno Smith. I'm not. He's got a better arm and a little better size. He doesn't have as much college level preparation as Barkley or as strong a supporting cast, but that strong supporting cast has not proven to help a lot of USC QBs of the past make a transition to the pros. I also like EJ Manuel and a few others. Our own Ingtar thinks Geno Smith is the only QB in the draft that's even worthy of a first round pick, but as we all know, QBs tend to get picked earlier than their quality merits, based on the need that exists in the NFL for starting caliber QBs.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

4. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-08-2012)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's still a lot of football to be played, but if the draft were today I'd be comfortable with Barkley, Smith, or Manuel tbh. Barkley's got the lowest ceiling but the highest floor. Smith and Manuel are big and strong and, most importantly, accurate.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd take Barkley over Fitz in a heartbeat.

7. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What is it about Barkley that everyone likes he is not the answer he does not have the arm strength.

He is Sanchez junior I will be so upset if we draft him.

I would rather draft Geno and let him sit on the pine for two years.

9. Post thanked by:

kingJofNYC (11-08-2012),ParanoidAndroid (11-08-2012),ThunderGun (11-08-2012),trapezeus (11-08-2012),ZAZusmc03 (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wrote about this months ago with regard to the lack of QB need in this years class.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

11. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (11-08-2012),ThunderGun (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    What is it about Barkley that everyone likes he is not the answer he does not have the arm strength.

He has a ton of starting experience in a pro style offense and generally makes smart decisions with the football. Sanchez had neither of those things. He's not going to cannon the ball downfield like Cutler or Vick, but he can hit most routes. We have one wideout who could charitably be described as a deep threat anyway.

I would too, but despite Kiper's bluster I don't see Smith falling to us.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In the modern NFL, if you draft a QB in the 1st round, he's your starting QB no later than his 2nd season. The only exceptions are teams that draft a QB for the future with a top QB in place, or if the guy is such a bust the team knows he'll never be a quality starter. Fitzpatrick is not the guy you sit your 1st round pick for.
    If we draft Geno Smith, he's starting by mid-season.

14. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-08-2012),trapezeus (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

I would too, but despite Kiper's bluster I don't see Smith falling to us.
    Where do you think we're drafting? If KC & Jax don't take him before us, who will?

16. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I wrote about this months ago with regard to the lack of QB need in this years class.
    watch this be the year where we completely bottom out, lose the rest of our games, and there is no QB available.....

18. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-08-2012),ParanoidAndroid (11-08-2012),ThunderGun (11-08-2012),Thurmal (11-13-2012),trapezeus (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He has played a lot more football than Sanchez, who only started 16 games in college before turning pro. There will be 4 years of college film on Barkley against some pretty good competition, so he should be easier to evaluate.

I don't think Barkley is as good a prospect as Luck, RGII, Stafford or some other QBs who went top-5, but he is still a pretty good NFL prospect. I'd like him a lot more if he could bring his WR from USC with him. Neither Lee or Woods are an A.J. Green-type talent, but both seem like they will be pretty good as pros. That helps Barkley.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Where do you think we're drafting? If KC & Jax don't take him before us, who will?
    Well you just listed two teams who I think would draft him before us and likely will appear before us in the draft order. I can see us stealing 2-3 more wins off our remaining schedule and finishing between 8-13 in the order. Beyond them, I could imagine Dallas or Philadelphia (should Reid go) trading up for a QB, or a St. Louis giving up on Bradford and what's left of his monster deal.

In any event, unless something changes significantly, I still see Smith as the first QB off the board and us not being able to get him without a large trade.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hell I do not see any QBs for 14 either that intrigue me either to be honest with you.

Maybe Renner from North Carolina but still.

Honestly Dysert from Miami Ohio might be the best QB in these next two classes.

That is not a joke either.

Also I agree that most first round QBs start but we do have the advantage of having a QB that can play well at times which allows us to not rush him.

I would much rather do an Aaron Rogers where the guy sits for two years learns and David Lee can work with him and develop him and then he starts in year 2 or 3, preferably year 3.

Granted that is also predicated on the bills actually making the playoffs in 2013 so do not listen to me I am in Narnia right now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hell I do not see any QBs for 14 either that intrigue me either to be honest with you.

Maybe Renner from North Carolina but still.

Honestly Dysert from Miami Ohio might be the best QB in these next two classes.

That is not a joke either.

Also I agree that most first round QBs start but we do have the advantage of having a QB that can play well at times which allows us to not rush him.

I would much rather do an Aaron Rogers where the guy sits for two years learns and David Lee can work with him and develop him and then he starts in year 2 or 3, preferably year 3.

Granted that is also predicated on the bills actually making the playoffs in 2013 so do not listen to me I am in Narnia right now.
    For '14 Id look at David Fales (SJ St), Jeff Matthews (Cornell), and Tyler Russell (Miss St).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For '14 Id look at David Fales (SJ St), Jeff Matthews (Cornell), and Tyler Russell (Miss St).
    You seem to really like small school QBs. Why is that? I know you've been hyping Dysert this year and now guys from SJ State and Cornell?

As a side note, the thought of replacing a Harvard QB with a Cornell QB would be pretty funny.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    You seem to really like small school QBs. Why is that? I know you've been hyping Dysert this year and now guys from SJ State and Cornell?

As a side note, the thought of replacing a Harvard QB with a Cornell QB would be pretty funny.
    Because details matter. Anybody can name an SEC QB like Bray or Murray, how many know that there is an Ivy League QB with NFL potential, that the WAC conference even still exists, or that neither Bray nor Murray are the best QB prospects in their own conference?

Championships are built on drafts that are successful on all four days of the draft not just the first or second one. Its important to know as much about the QB you're bringing into camp as a Free Agent as the OT you drafted in Round 1.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When was the last Ivy League QB that went on to be really good in the NFL? Sid Luckman? Usually they are schmucks like Fitzpatrick or Jay Fiedler.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fitz is not the answer at QB.

If we're in capable hands (doubtful), we'll take a QB in round 1.

You can't win with a guy whose arm dies out in mid October and can't handle cold weather.

It used to be, we had Jim Kelly. And he was tough as nails and won all but one game at home in January.

Fitz can't play in the elements and he can barely play after 4 games have occurred.

He's a loser and it's time to cut our losses.

27. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Neat.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

29. Post thanked by:

delectrolux (11-08-2012),mrbojanglezs (11-08-2012),Pinkerton Security (11-08-2012),Thurmal (11-13-2012)

Registered User BuffaloWingEater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

is klein coming out? is he any good?

31. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-08-2012)