Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: mel kiper

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: mel kiper

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    How many teams in the NFL now a days actually run a pro style offense?
    Most of them. Being a shotgun spread guy isn't the deal breaker it once was, especially if you are using more complex reads. But QBs still need to line up under center from time to time to maintain the threat of the power run game and play action.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You do not have to have a RG III or a Luck to be successful, but you can not do it with a Fitz. There are some good QB's in this draft maybe not a great one, but still ones that are capable of running an NFL offense and succeeding. Right now I'd be thrilled to death to get a QB that can help us get back to winning and get back to the post season and they are out there, but you have to take a shot and draft them. Not every winning team has a Brady, or Rodgers, but there's no winning teams with a Fitz. I would take Smith, Wilson, or Barkley in a heartbeat, even if it required trading up (since our picks are so valuable). This team can not go another year without a real QB on the roster.
    Last edited by kishoph; 11-10-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    watch this be the year where we completely bottom out, lose the rest of our games, and there is no QB available.....
    Thats the thing...sometimes you have to forse in issue. If I was owner of the Bills, I would have done everything in my power to make sure that Luck was in a Bills jersey. Sure I could have been wrong, but I am willing to gamble on a once in a generation prospect. The biggest problem with missing out on these talents is that it takes at least another 10 years before another such QB is available insuring 2 things: 1) you wont be a legit SB Contender for next decade 2) who ever drafted that talent will be beating you and everyone else for the next 10+ years. Funny thing is, this is definitely the year not to bottom out...
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    You do not have to have a RG III or a Luck to be successful, but you can not do it with a Fitz. There are some good QB's in this draft maybe not a great one, but still ones that are capable of running an NFL offense and succeeding. Right now I'd be thrilled to death to get a QB that can help us get back to winning and get back to the post season and they are out there, but you have to take a shot and draft them. Not every winning team has a Brady, or Rodgers, but there's no winning teams with a Fitz. I would take Smith, Wilson, or Barkley in a heartbeat, even if it required trading up (since our picks are so valuable). This team can not go another year without a real QB on the roster.
    Depends on what you mean by successful. If success is going 9-7 and maybe a playoff spot or even a perennial playoff team that a Barkley will help you out. If you want to be the Eagles of the next decade than maybe a Smith will do but if you want to be the Patriots than you have to have Luck or RG3 etc...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Yet both will go top 10 because QB's always go higher than their rankings dictate

Why? Did you watch the Colts tonight? The Colts were the worst team in the league last year and with one pick they are already light years ahead of this franchise. That is how important the QB position is in this league. I applauded the Redskins for their bold move for RGIII because until you have a franchise QB you are seriously wasting everybody's time as a franchise.

If you draft and miss then you keep drafting one until you get it right
    Could Not Agree More... Why wast your time with a second rate first round QB... accept the fact that we missed a once in a generation player so we can once again miss the playoffs, this time in style.

All that being said, the Colts 2012 season was an aberration. They were contenders every year preceding 2012 and are once again playoff bound. No way this team was even close to being as bad as their 2012 record.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    Agree with the premise of we can't got another year without a QB, disagree with the idea that you have to just take one. If they say only Geno Smith is worth a Top 20 pick I dont want to see them then panic and reach for Wilson while sitting in the Top 10 should Geno be gone.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thats the thing...sometimes you have to forse in issue. If I was owner of the Bills, I would have done everything in my power to make sure that Luck was in a Bills jersey. Sure I could have been wrong, but I am willing to gamble on a once in a generation prospect. The biggest problem with missing out on these talents is that it takes at least another 10 years before another such QB is available insuring 2 things: 1) you wont be a legit SB Contender for next decade 2) who ever drafted that talent will be beating you and everyone else for the next 10+ years. Funny thing is, this is definitely the year not to bottom out...
    I don't think you could have gotten Luck at any price. It took 4 picks to get RGIII and St. Louis already has a young QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Depends on what you mean by successful. If success is going 9-7 and maybe a playoff spot or even a perennial playoff team that a Barkley will help you out. If you want to be the Eagles of the next decade than maybe a Smith will do but if you want to be the Patriots than you have to have Luck or RG3 etc...
    If it comes to choosing between the possibilities of a QB that will move us forward and at least into the post season, or that perennial Pro Bowl LB that will move us up 5-10 spots in the defense rankings, I'll take that QB. This teams biggest need right now is at the QB position and unless they can acquire a starter in a trade (highly unlikely), they need to draft one.

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Agree with the premise of we can't got another year without a QB, disagree with the idea that you have to just take one. If they say only Geno Smith is worth a Top 20 pick I dont want to see them then panic and reach for Wilson while sitting in the Top 10 should Geno be gone.
    I really don't believe that Smith is the only prospect that is worth a top 20 pick and I see the Bills with their remaining schedule finishing around 7-9 which would leave them picking around 13-14 (there's a lot of bad teams) and with the Bills history of drafting I'd rather see them grab a QB then the next Aaron Maybin or Donte Whitner even if he turns into JP Losman. Very few picks are a guarantee.
    Last edited by kishoph; 11-10-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Barkley cannot throw in the Buffalo winds.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IAG View Post
    Barkley cannot throw in the Buffalo winds.
    I don't agree with this. It's not like he has a cannon, but from what I've seen, Barkley can make all the throws.

And how often do the "Buffalo winds" decide a football game? If anything it effects special teams more than the offense. It might make throwing the ball down field a little more difficult but it is manageable. I honestly can't remember the last time a saw a ball get batted down by the winds in Buffalo (besides the snow storm games that happen once every two years or so, and even then, most QB's play like **** in a snow storm anyway).

People act like if you don't have John Elways arm, that a QB can't throw a 10 yard pass at the Ralph without the ball getting blown into stands. It's stupid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    I love Bridgewater but he is only a true Soph.

Yeah I know, I was replying to someone who said something about no QBs in 2014 either, I think he comes out then.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    You always find a way, don't you...
    What do you want him to do, tell you that Barkley is this years Luck or that Smith will be better than RG3?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Doesn't matter what Mel Kiper says, 2 QBs will go in the top 10 regardless.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This QB class reminds me a lot of 2011.
    Deep in numbers, but a lot of question marks. Nobody was a sure thing.

That draft produced Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Mallett.

The Bills passed on quarterbacks all throughout that draft, and it was a huge mistake.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State