Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,168
    Thanks
    3,874
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    9
    ZoneBux
    55,671.90
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,671.90
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    What I mean is that it wasn't a slaughter.
    332-206

    In most circles that would be considered a slaughter!!!

    I'll bet Romney's billionaire backers do!!!

  2. Post thanked by:

    BillsFever21 (11-08-2012)

  3. #42
    Go Sabres!! Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    975
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 219 Times in 154 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    4
    ZoneBux
    12,476.86
    Bank
    74,310.11
    Total ZoneBux
    86,786.97
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    It tough to run against dependocrats who promise to get the rich to pay and solve all problems....

    Romneys 47% quote was a dumb thing to say out loud but it is spot on....
    If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.
    President Obama July/ 2009,

    ...

  4. Post thanked by:

    imbondz (11-08-2012)

  5. #43
    PC BSing Homo Historian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    31,495
    Thanks
    4,740
    Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,792 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    119
    ZoneBux
    844,931.56
    Bank
    688,998.32
    Total ZoneBux
    1,533,929.88
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?


  6. Post thanked by:

    mysticsoto (11-08-2012)

  7. #44
    Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    specifically located in the Milky Way
    Posts
    22,117
    Thanks
    1,359
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 760 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    72
    ZoneBux
    76,218.64
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    76,218.64
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    My thoughts, take em or leave em:

    Romney lost because he:

    1) Came off as elitist, snobbish, and woefully out of touch with the American people from the start, and his 47% statements did not help him at all, and nor did his equally out of touch wife. Much like the previous two candidates who claimed MA as their home state, only to lose badly (Kerry and Dukakis in case you had attempted to forget), he showed no style, no charisma, no charm, and the only thing he was missing was inapropriate headgear. Yes, people don't like Obama, but like Bush he is charismatic and likeable. I mean really, who would you rather go have a beer with? Oh wait, that's right Romney can't drink. Frankly, and it is a failing in our electoral system, a candidate has to be likeable to win. People couldn't buy into Romney and his positions because he wavered and flip flopped constantly.

    2) In addition to being rather unlikeable and disagreeable to the American electorate and needless isolating them, he demoralized and de-motivated his base. The first strike he had against him was being a Mormon. This alienated the sensibilities of many evangelicals, who stated that they would not vote for him because he wasn't a Christian. Then he lost a good deal of the Catholic vote and therefore the election when during the Ryan-Biden debate. I know that it will come as a shock to many on here, as most of you here who don't give a **** about abortion, or view it as a woman's rights issue, but in great parts of the midwest and the south this is not the case. In the past three elections, I can tell you the exact moment when the election was decided. In 2004 it was when Bush and Kerry were asked about abortion, and Bush said he was against it, and Kerry said pretty much what Ryan said. In 2008, its was when Palin was named McCain's VP candidate. In 2012, it was during the Biden-Ryan debate. Everyone knows Biden's stance on abortion, while Ryan appeared to be pandering. During that debate a lot of people were turned off because his abortion stance made him look no different than Obama.

    3) This leads to another problem, Romney in trying to play the middle for all it was worth could not distinguish himself from Obama, and when he tried to he came off as a wacko with all the wrong stances. In foreign policy he couldn't really sell the Obama is soft on terror and weak on defense thing, especially when Obama took out Khadaffi and Bin Laden. He has the same ideas on much of Obama's foreign policy so he tried to say he was different by calling Russia our biggest threat which made him look out of touch and dangerous. Obama who has been attempting to enable the people of North Africa and SW Asia to lead their own regime change efforts, Romney came out for another War in the Mid-East and Americans are tired of war. He didn't look strong on foreign policy, and in domestic policy this continues. He was against Obamacare even though Obamacare was invented by Mitt Romney. His tax plan was ambiguous and looked to continue the current deficit spending. His jobs plan didn't look promising either.

    4) Stupidity erupitions. Todd Akin and the other guy who talked about rape, the guy in Tennessee who told his lover to get an abortion, and of course Mike Brown.
    that's about dead on right.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.


  8. #45
    Registered User DraftBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    70,644
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 4,514 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    183
    ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    It tough to run against dependocrats who promise to get the rich to pay and solve all problems....

    Romneys 47% quote was a dumb thing to say out loud but it is spot on....
    Even harder when you choose to alienate 62% of the voters.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

  9. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,645
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 881 Times in 462 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    16
    ZoneBux
    40,135.73
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    40,135.73
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    It tough to run against dependocrats who promise to get the rich to pay and solve all problems....

    Romneys 47% quote was a dumb thing to say out loud but it is spot on....
    Then it's time for Republicans to stop running or to start promising to get the rich to pay. Only an idiot knows his competition has a successful formula and then uses the same failing tactics & continues to fail. Sort of like the Bills management.

  10. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,872
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 286 Times in 177 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    11
    ZoneBux
    18,689.04
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    18,689.04
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    But it was. These results aren't just about this one race, look outside of it and then re-examine your premise.
    k



  11. #48
    Registered User BillsFever21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a state located in the USA
    Posts
    9,078
    Thanks
    2,285
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 826 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30
    ZoneBux
    3,346.95
    Bank
    572,236.19
    Total ZoneBux
    575,583.14
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    One of the guys I work with who is a huge right wing neocon nut that I've mentioned on here before about some of the debates we've had hasn't been into work since Tuesday morning. He must be so sick from seeing Obama winning that he can't even muster up the strength to come into work.

    This is the same guy who defended Romney's 47% comment even though he is one of the 47% but still refutes it when the facts are stated to him. He has a couple kids and qualifies for the EITC and Child Tax Credit which means he gets back more taxes then he pays in. He says taxes are taken out of his check every week. I told him of course they are but once February comes around you get back more then you paid in so you don't pay federal taxes. It goes in one ear and out the other. He just says they're a bunch of n-----s which doesn't want to work so Obama is taking care of them because they are n-----s. He says he isn't racists though.

    He also has a problem with government spending, workers and pensions but he has been crying about the possible defense cuts which would cost government jobs and government contracted jobs. At the same time he has a pension that he collects every month from a government job he had earlier in his life. Go figure.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 11-08-2012 at 06:04 PM.

  12. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,168
    Thanks
    3,874
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    9
    ZoneBux
    55,671.90
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,671.90
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...ag=AverageHero

    Honestly, I have no idea how these people could have been so out of touch thinking he had it in the bag.

    But I digress. My point of the post is to point out his adviser saying Romney was shell shocked by the loss! That I can easily believe! When I was watching his concession speech, I'm sitting there thinking 'there's something not right about him'. I was thinking they drugged him. That he had a breakdown, or was breaking down, and that was the real reason he took so long to come out and concede. Now I really believe that!!

    The little spoiled frat boy, born with a silver spoon in his mouth and given everything all his life finally had someone saying no to him (the electorate) and he lost it!!!!

  13. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,168
    Thanks
    3,874
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    9
    ZoneBux
    55,671.90
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,671.90
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFever21 View Post
    One of the guys I work with who is a huge right wing neocon nut that I've mentioned on here before about some of the debates we've had hasn't been into work since Tuesday morning. He must be so sick from seeing Obama winning that he can't even muster up the strength to come into work.

    This is the same guy who defended Romney's 47% comment even though he is one of the 47% but still refutes it when the facts are stated to him. He has a couple kids and qualifies for the EITC and Child Tax Credit which means he gets back more taxes then he pays in. He says taxes are taken out of his check every week. I told him of course they are but once February comes around you get back more then you paid in so you don't pay federal taxes. It goes in one ear and out the other. He just says they're a bunch of n-----s which doesn't want to work so Obama is taking care of them because they are n-----s. He says he isn't racists though.

    He also has a problem with government spending, workers and pensions but he has been crying about the possible defense cuts which would cost government jobs and government contracted jobs. At the same time he has a pension that he collects every month from a government job he had earlier in his life. Go figure.
    Good! I hope he's suffering with all the other ignorant, POS racists out there!!!

  14. #51
    Registered User BillsFever21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a state located in the USA
    Posts
    9,078
    Thanks
    2,285
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 826 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30
    ZoneBux
    3,346.95
    Bank
    572,236.19
    Total ZoneBux
    575,583.14
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by denverboz View Post
    Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...ag=AverageHero

    Honestly, I have no idea how these people could have been so out of touch thinking he had it in the bag.

    But I digress. My point of the post is to point out his adviser saying Romney was shell shocked by the loss! That I can easily believe! When I was watching his concession speech, I'm sitting there thinking 'there's something not right about him'. I was thinking they drugged him. That he had a breakdown, or was breaking down, and that was the real reason he took so long to come out and concede. Now I really believe that!!

    The little spoiled frat boy, born with a silver spoon in his mouth and given everything all his life finally had someone saying no to him (the electorate) and he lost it!!!!
    You could tell he was definitely upset. After basically 6 years of campaigning to be President he finally gets the Republican nomination and loses. He went from basically telling people "you're fired" to the American people telling him "you're not hired" and he couldn't handle it.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 11-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.

  15. Post thanked by:

    denverboz (11-08-2012)

  16. #52
    Registered User BillsFever21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a state located in the USA
    Posts
    9,078
    Thanks
    2,285
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 826 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30
    ZoneBux
    3,346.95
    Bank
    572,236.19
    Total ZoneBux
    575,583.14
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Poor Ann was crying? Ah I feel so bad for her. Was it worse then when she cried because Tiffany's didn't have the red shoes in stock so she either had to buy another color or wait a week until they got their next delivery?

  17. Post thanked by:

    denverboz (11-08-2012)

  18. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,615
    Thanks
    2,099
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    12
    ZoneBux
    111,734.27
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    111,734.27
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm not trying to rub it in that Romney lost, I'm looking for legitimate thoughts and analysis here.

    A few months ago, it looked hopeless for Romney. Then, out of nowhere, he pulled even in the polls and was even leading in some. The debates helped him greatly- he easily won the first two and arguably won the 3rd (and even if you argue that he lost, it was still a solid performance). It looked like he had a legit shot.

    Then election night arrives. Romney didn't lose by much in terms of the popular vote, (50.4-48.0), but he was beaten pretty solidly in the electoral college. He lost at least 3 of the 4 major battleground states- Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania (and he lost pretty badly in PA as far as battleground states go) and is likely to lose Florida as well. To be fair, Va and OH were close, and FL is so close that they haven't even called it yet. If this were sports, he's likely to get swept in the series but lost 2 of the 4 games by 1 and took game 4 to overtime.

    Many voters said the economy was their biggest concern, yet a majority of them still voted for Obama (this according to a WashPo article from yesterday).

    So what happened? How did Romney lose on the economy? How did he do so poorly in the battleground states after gaining momentum late in the race?

    From what I read, a lot of it had to do with voter mobilization. There was an apparent "enthusiasm gap" for Obama from '08 to '12, but it didn't really turn out that way on election day. African-Americans and youth came out and overwhelmingly supported Obama. I also read that Latino voters helped put Obama over the top. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Romney had picked Rubio instead. At the very least, he would have taken Florida and possibly VA.

    Moving forward, though, it looks like the GOP has to do a better job of motivating their base, and they probably need to expand their base as well. They are definitely going to have to do something to attract more Latino voters, as that voting block is growing larger every year, but their hard-line stance on immigration makes it hard for Republicans to appeal to Latinos. For what it's worth, my dad is a staunch conservative, but even he is coming around and saying the GOP needs to soften their stance on illegal immigrants who are already here.

    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    The polls were wrong for the most part. The explanation is that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    well, the polls usually aren't wrong- why were they wrong this time? And how did people like Nate Silver get it right?
    Sorry, but the polls were mostly correct. Very correct. I'm not surprised by the results one bit.

    Nate Silver called every single state correctly, and was very close in his margin of each ending vote total. How did he do it? Only those that don't regularly read Nate would ask that question. Nate always noted the closeness of the nation popular polls, which he also always emphasized that the national popular vote total is irrelevant. He was able to quantify the disparity of a close popular vote and his landslide Electoral Vote total.

    All based on polling.

    What Nate Silver does is run models of how the voting would go in each state, based on averaging the polls. He does not do polling himself. He uses data that he has collected for years, and does an honest analysis based on the past record of accuracy from polling companies. For example, he did a detailed analysis on how polling companies fared for each race and how their accuracy was in relation to how many points they were off from actual results. He also looked for patterns on if any pollster was consistently biased in their accuracy.

    Not surprisingly, he found Rasmussen to be very bad accuracy with high degree of bias toward Republicans.

    So, he gives their polling less weight in his analysis.

    All during the campaign, Nate had Obama with a very high chance of winning. There were ebbs and flows, but his data crunching is just a reflection of all pollsters.

    The reason that some people think that polling was inaccurate is because they listened to the echo chamber of Fox, Rush, Sean and just about every single right wing blabber mouth out there. These are deeply biased and partisan sources which are desperately out of touch with reality. Facts are not important to these guys, and neither to their consumers.....millions and millions of right wingers hungry for anti-Obama bull****.

    Much of that right wing chatter is picked up other, more credible news sources. One of the worst thing to happen to mainstream media is their sick desire to try and keep conservatives happy by appearing "balanced" and "fair". All it has resulted in is dishonest reporting.

  19. #54
    Registered User DraftBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    70,644
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 4,514 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    183
    ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Sorry, but the polls were mostly correct. Very correct. I'm not surprised by the results one bit.

    Nate Silver called every single state correctly, and was very close in his margin of each ending vote total. How did he do it? Only those that don't regularly read Nate would ask that question. Nate always noted the closeness of the nation popular polls, which he also always emphasized that the national popular vote total is irrelevant. He was able to quantify the disparity of a close popular vote and his landslide Electoral Vote total.

    All based on polling.

    What Nate Silver does is run models of how the voting would go in each state, based on averaging the polls. He does not do polling himself. He uses data that he has collected for years, and does an honest analysis based on the past record of accuracy from polling companies. For example, he did a detailed analysis on how polling companies fared for each race and how their accuracy was in relation to how many points they were off from actual results. He also looked for patterns on if any pollster was consistently biased in their accuracy.

    Not surprisingly, he found Rasmussen to be very bad accuracy with high degree of bias toward Republicans.

    So, he gives their polling less weight in his analysis.

    All during the campaign, Nate had Obama with a very high chance of winning. There were ebbs and flows, but his data crunching is just a reflection of all pollsters.

    The reason that some people think that polling was inaccurate is because they listened to the echo chamber of Fox, Rush, Sean and just about every single right wing blabber mouth out there. These are deeply biased and partisan sources which are desperately out of touch with reality. Facts are not important to these guys, and neither to their consumers.....millions and millions of right wingers hungry for anti-Obama bull****.

    Much of that right wing chatter is picked up other, more credible news sources. One of the worst thing to happen to mainstream media is their sick desire to try and keep conservatives happy by appearing "balanced" and "fair". All it has resulted in is dishonest reporting.
    Nat Silver is not polling. He is probability that uses polling as part of his model. Him being accurate does not make the polls accurate. Silver also uses census info, and past voting history to determine his probability. Much of his equation is kept secret for obvious reasons. He's very, very good, but him being right does not make polling right.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 11-08-2012 at 06:55 PM.

  20. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,615
    Thanks
    2,099
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    12
    ZoneBux
    111,734.27
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    111,734.27
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    The point, BTW....is that the trajectory of the campaign did not change much for months and months. It showed close national popular vote and always over 300 Electoral votes.

    So, nothing "happened to the Romney campaign". They were destined to lose from even before he won the primary.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Nat Silver is not polling. He is probability that uses polling as part of his model. Him being accurate does not make the polls accurate.

    The polls were accurate. Don't look at Rasmussen and Gallup, and most were right on the money.

  21. #56
    Registered User DraftBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    70,644
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 4,514 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    183
    ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The polls were accurate. Don't look at Rasmussen and Gallup, and most were right on the money.
    Let's try this a different way, what is "accurate" by your definition?

  22. #57
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,368
    Thanks
    3,635
    Thanked 3,219 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25
    ZoneBux
    52,820.10
    Bank
    126,335.46
    Total ZoneBux
    179,155.56
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    It tough to run against dependocrats who promise to get the rich to pay and solve all problems....
    What a jackalope you are. No one but moron neocons believe the myth that the rich do a damned thing for the poor.

    1000 points of light. What horse sheeee-ite.
    Gailey's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

  23. Post thanked by:

    MST3KBillsfan (11-08-2012)

  24. #58
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,368
    Thanks
    3,635
    Thanked 3,219 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25
    ZoneBux
    52,820.10
    Bank
    126,335.46
    Total ZoneBux
    179,155.56
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Let's try this a different way, what is "accurate" by your definition?
    The impression I got from the polls I saw was that it wasn't going to be close. It wasn't. From my perspective, that's accurate.

  25. Post thanked by:

    denverboz (11-08-2012)

  26. #59
    Registered User DraftBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    70,644
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 4,514 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    183
    ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    The impression I got from the polls I saw was that it wasn't going to be close. It wasn't. From my perspective, that's accurate.
    What polls specifically? National, State, or Local level? Who were they done by? Professional pollsters or news agencies?

    Accuracy is measured in a number of ways, simply saying Obama was going to win doesn't mean they were accurate from a Political Science stand point, which is the standard they are supposed to be judged at.

  27. #60
    Registered User DraftBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    70,644
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 4,514 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    183
    ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    271,587.09
    Donate

    Re: So, what happened to the Romney campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    What polls specifically? National, State, or Local level? Who were they done by? Professional pollsters or news agencies?

    Accuracy is measured in a number of ways, simply saying Obama was going to win doesn't mean they were accurate from a Political Science stand point, which is the standard they are supposed to be judged at.
    For example let's take Ohio;
    Obama won by +1.9

    Only three polls that were conducted after 10/30 had Obama winning and by two or less. They were Columbus Dispatch, Gravis, and Univ of Cincy. The other five that had Obama winning were 3 or more, and Rasmussen had them tied. So out of 9 polls, six were not correct (and only one was within the margin of error). That's not accuracy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •