Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 25 hours will be the new "full time"..

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

25 hours will be the new "full time"..

Heard about conference call that included most fast food resturants and major retail chains..

They are pooling their resources to fight obamacare and if they lose they will implement a policy where only 1 or 2 middle managers will work 40+ hours and all other workers will not be allowed over 25 hour a week. This is because obamacare defines "full time " worker to be anyone working over 30 hours/week...

I have a realative that runs 6-7 Wendy's and has 50-60 employees under him. Word came down from corporate that beginning 2014 the above policy will be implemented...

Anyone else catch wind of this??
    If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.
    President Obama July/ 2009,

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: 25 hours will be the new "full time"..

As mentioned before, this is nothing new. Fast food and retail have been doing this for years...

3. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (11-08-2012),MST3KBillsfan (11-08-2012),notacon (11-09-2012),ThunderGun (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,433 Times in 2,589 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Yea Im confused about why this is new.

Now if you're going to tell me corporate offices are going to start doing it then you have something.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I worked at Wal-Mart for about a year, not like they ever did that. Oh, yeah well except that my full time went down to 32 to 36 hours in the few months after I got my raise to 8.10 an hour there back in 2007 and spring 2008

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I'm guessing this could affect churches too. In my denomination, we have a lot of what we term "local pastors." They have less education than ordained clergy. They are serving smaller churches that can't afford to pay full time clergy. Some are serving "95%" of full time because their spouses have health insurance, and the churches can't afford to pay health insurance costs. Our conference (a group of about 900 churches) is using an insurance provider which is requiring that all full time clergy have health insurance. I don't know enough about Obamacare to know if employers will be able to opt out of paying health insurance costs for employees whose spouses have health insurance or not. If not, that's going to necessitate a lot of small churches going to something less than 3/4 time to be able to afforda pastor.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

A wise man doesn't waste effort telling the world he's wise. If it's true, it will be self-evident.

7. Post thanked by:

Night Train (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Single payer

9. Post thanked by:

BuffaloWingEater (11-09-2012),coastal (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

i don't have the exact example but it went something like this... assuming hourly wages are the same; a company can pay two part timers LESS money for 22 hours of work each than they would wind up paying for a full time employee for 40 hours.

So the R's are stupidly using this to show why the full time employee will wind up getting canned or losing his hours thanks to Obamacare. We all know that's basically BS; like some have said up top it hasn't been much different than this for a while now anyway, and it's a lot bigger a pain in the ass to have two employees to train and manage than it is 1, so only in the lowest level minimum wage jobs would a company actually waste all of their time to save a few extra bucks.

However the point that does mean something is that there are a great # of small businesses that will wind up having to pay more money because of this, many of whom basically can't afford it. I can't really say their employees wind up losing because that's a R' pipe dream. But in all honesty the small business owner loses and nobody on this board should be happy about that.
    Somebody over at another sports forum is insane. He's a fat-ass who has nothing better to do than run a site like he's some type of powerful person when everyone knows that he's a worthless person. Banning people with no explanation when they simply ask a pertinant question in a chatroom? He removes 1000's of threads that have real meaning to people without so much as an explanation. He barely has a pot to piss in, so his only shot of exerting power in his whole life is to act like an internet Hitler. The funny thing is EVERYONE talks so much s*** about the guy behind his back in Pm's etc. because everyone hates him.

PM ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS IN other sports sites - tell them BillsZone is where it's at. BillsZone has a chance to be everything that the other site should have been, but couldn't be because that other guy is so insane.

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Marcala12 View Post
    i don't have the exact example but it went something like this... assuming hourly wages are the same; a company can pay two part timers LESS money for 22 hours of work each than they would wind up paying for a full time employee for 40 hours.

So the R's are stupidly using this to show why the full time employee will wind up getting canned or losing his hours thanks to Obamacare. We all know that's basically BS; like some have said up top it hasn't been much different than this for a while now anyway, and it's a lot bigger a pain in the ass to have two employees to train and manage than it is 1, so only in the lowest level minimum wage jobs would a company actually waste all of their time to save a few extra bucks.

However the point that does mean something is that there are a great # of small businesses that will wind up having to pay more money because of this, many of whom basically can't afford it. I can't really say their employees wind up losing because that's a R' pipe dream. But in all honesty the small business owner loses and nobody on this board should be happy about that.
    I don't think anybody on the board is happy for a small business owner losing. They are happy b'cse an Employee gains...

Registered User BuffaloWingEater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    Single payer
    it's the best alternative.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,354 Times in 3,151 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Heard about conference call that included most fast food resturants and major retail chains..

They are pooling their resources to fight obamacare and if they lose they will implement a policy where only 1 or 2 middle managers will work 40+ hours and all other workers will not be allowed over 25 hour a week. This is because obamacare defines "full time " worker to be anyone working over 30 hours/week...

I have a realative that runs 6-7 Wendy's and has 50-60 employees under him. Word came down from corporate that beginning 2014 the above policy will be implemented...

Anyone else catch wind of this??
    Any source or link on this?

This sounds like one of those bull**** chain emails that thousands of people read and believe when a simple Snopes search can prove it false. And I'm almost positive it's false- not because companies wouldn't do something like this but because a) companies would make the decision to do it on their own and wouldn't need a conference call with their competitors to make the decision and b) as others have pointed out, companies have been doing this for years. I saw it happen first-hand when I worked at Wegmans in the mid-late 90's.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,402 Times in 1,910 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Anyone else thinking that a conference call among several major retail chains and fast food restaurants to artificially restrain their employee's hours sounds a lot like illegal collusion? Just saying.
    "I love both Dan and Wendy. I love those guys. They work so hard. The center-quarterback relationship is a pretty special one. I've got my hands on their butts probably more than their wives, so it's a pretty unique trust and relationship you have."
    -
    Tom Brady

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Anyone else thinking that a conference call among several major retail chains and fast food restaurants to artificially restrain their employee's hours sounds a lot like illegal collusion? Just saying.
    Collusion or bullcrap. One or the other. I'm leaning towards bullcrap. "Heard about a conference call..."? LOL...that is so farking lame that this whole thread rightfully should have been ignored.
    Gailey's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

16. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Elections have consequences....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-obamacare-be/

Last night's victory for the President marks the first time since its inception that Obamacare is no longer a what-if; it is the future of health care in America. It also means a near immediate impact on the economy. With 20 or so new or higher taxes set to be implemented, ranging from a $123 billion surtax on investment income, through the $20 billion medical device tax, all the way down to the $600 million executive compensation limit, Obamacare will be a nearly unbearable tax burden on the economy.
    Who will pay? The middle-class workforce, of course.
    So with another four years for President Obama to look forward to, and the obvious inevitability of Obamacare that this entails, let's examine the very real jobs that will be lost, and the very real lives that will be affected.
    Welch Allyn
    Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law.
    Dana Holding Corp.
    As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citing "$24 million over the next six years in additional U.S. health care expenses". After laying off several white collar staffers, company insiders have hinted at more to come. The company will have to cover the additional $24 million cost somehow, which will likely equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.
    Stryker
    One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.
    Boston Scientific
    In October of 2009, Boston Scientific CEO Ray Elliott, warned that proposed taxes in the health care reform bill could "lead to significant job losses" for his company. Nearly two years later, Elliott announced that the company would be cutting anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 jobs, while simultaneously shifting investments and workers overseas - to China.
    Medtronic
    In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions over the summer, with another 500 set for the end of 2013.
    Others
    A short list of other companies facing future layoffs at the hands of Obamacare:

• Smith & Nephew - 770 layoffs
    • Abbott Labs - 700 layoffs
    • Covidien - 595 layoffs
    • Kinetic Concepts - 427 layoffs
    • St. Jude Medical - 300 layoffs
    • Hill Rom - 200 layoffs

Beyond the complete elimination of a significant number of American jobs is another looming problem created by the health care law - a shift from full-time to part-time workers.
    Sean Hackbarth of Free Enterprise explains:
    A JP Morgan economist "points out that 8.3 million people are working in part-time jobs even though they'd prefer full-time work. Unfortunately, because of President Obama’s health care law, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), workers in the hotel, restaurant, and retail industries could be pushed into part-time jobs working less than 30 hours per week."
    "Under the health care law, if a company has more than 50 “full time equivalent” workers, a combination of full and part-time employees, but doesn’t offer “affordable” coverage that meets the government’s minimum value standard, the company will have to pay a penalty. This penalty is determined by the number of full-time employees minus 30 full-time employees. So to reiterate a very important point: part-time workers are not part of the penalty formula. The health care law creates a perverse incentive to hire part-time versus full-time workers."
    Tangible examples of Obamacare causing a reduction in full-time workers:
    Darden Restaurants
    According to the Orlando Sentinel, Darden Restaurants, a casual dining chain best known for their Red Lobster, Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse restaurants, is "experimenting with limiting the hours of some of its workers to avoid health care requirements under the Affordable Care Act when they take effect in 2014".
    JANCOA Janitorial Services
    The CEO of JANCOA, Mary Miller, testified to Congress that Obamacare was a "dream killer", adding that one option she had to consider "is reducing the majority of my team members to part-time employment in order to reduce the amount that I will be penalized."
    Kroger
    The American retailer in Cincinnati, Ohio recently was reported to be planning a significant slashing of their hourly workers. Doug Ross writes:
    Operative Faith (a mid-level manager with the company) reveals that Kroger will soon join the ranks of Darden Restaurants and slash the hours of its non-exempt (hourly) workers to avoid millions in Obamacare penalties.
    According to the source, Obamacare could result in tens of thousands of Kroger employees being limited to working 28 hours per week.
    Summary
    This is by no means, meant to be an exhaustive list. But it is meant to provide examples of real companies, real jobs, and real names, soon to be added to the growing list of employment casualties provided by the inevitable implementation of Obamacare.
    Last night, America voted for four more years of President Obama and his destructive economic and health care policies. By extension, America last night voted their approval of the aforementioned layoffs and overall work reduction.
    Now we must accept the inevitable. Welcome to mourning in America.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

That's just greed and laziness on the part of their management.

Sound like ****ty companies to work for in the first place.

19. Post thanked by:

ICRockets (11-09-2012),Michael82 (11-09-2012),mysticsoto (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

That's an awful lot of companies who seem to think Obama should take personal responsibility for their failures.

21. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (11-09-2012),Michael82 (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Managed care will reduce the profit margin for any company that is associated with the medical field, I would expect layoffs in those areas.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Even if all of this is 100% accurate, there are winners and losers with every administration. Let's look at some of these ok?

Boston Scientific...why the hate for Obama? This company has been tanking for years. The stock peaked at $44 in '03 and dropped steadily until '08 where it has flatlined at $4-$6. EPS is a lousy -2.54. It's my feeling that these guys are covering their own asses for mismanagement, a botched takeover of Guidant, and a damning DoJ decision for a payola scheme with an Army doctor.

Dana Holding Corp..."Holding"? Oh yeah...Dana Corp went bankrupt in '07 and with it 150 million shares of stock were cancelled. People lost jobs AND their retirements. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Medtronic...peaked at $60 per share in '05 and lost over half that value by '08. It has since recovered a bit and trades at $42 and has a decent EPS of 3.54. Typically though, these earnings are not paid to shareholders and P/E is over 12.

Darden Restaurants...Red Lobster, Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse...ugh...disgusting.

Kroger...anecdotally, down here they are getting pounded on one side by Publix, Ingles, and Trader Joe's and on the other side by Whole Foods and Fresh Market. I don't see them lasting long here. They are getting carved up.
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 999 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

My favorite quote on Obamacare

People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.

~ Investor's Business Daily
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof ~ Christopher Hitchens

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightVoice View Post
    My favorite quote on Obamacare

People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.

~ Investor's Business Daily
    tough decisions will need to be made..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 999 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

tough decisions will need to be made..
    Sorry, but you do know that Stephen Hawking is British and credits the National Health Service with saving his life don't you? There was no tough decision to be made - he was ill so he was treated.