Thread: Gailey: Rookie Qb's should play

Registered User BuffaloWingEater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gailey: Rookie Qb's should play

So much for grooming a rookie.

"It's the same old thing. You draft them to play 'em now," the head coach stated. "You don't draft 'em to let them sit. There's a few people that are doing that, but for the most part you're drafting those guys to play."

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Gailey-on-r...-to-p/14776554

shelby's big brother smilie smilie Oldbillsfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Gailey: Rookie Qb's should play

helps to draft one too

3. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-14-2012),X-Era (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's nice in theory, but then there's another theory that says you should start your best players. What if there is a quarterback in the draft who has a great skill set and combination of measurables, but he hust isn't ready to play the pro game. He hasn't had enough experience. He's had substandard college coaching. He's not going to be the best QB on your roster in the first game of the season. Do you pass on him because he might not be ready to start on day one?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

fitz is taking all of this laying down. no fire from him like, "i think i can lead this team and i need to do that". In some ways its refreshing and needed, but in a season where at 3-6 we are still in this...and there are no qb prospects that i trust 1BD getting right, we need to win some games.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

" Help ! Buddy and I have our jobs on the line ! "

Tha's how I'm reading it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A while back I heard a former player on the radio but I can't remember who it was address this issue. He said a rookie QB can learn much quicker by playing than sitting on the bench. He said by playing, you get a feel for the speed & quickness of the game you don't get by watching from the sideline. He also said when watching film from the last game, if you played, you can see what mistakes you made in the game to learn to correct them.

He said if not playing & watching film, you are looking at the mistakes someone else made which is not very helpful because no two people are alike & mistakes will be different for both.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    That's nice in theory, but then there's another theory that says you should start your best players. What if there is a quarterback in the draft who has a great skill set and combination of measurables, but he hust isn't ready to play the pro game. He hasn't had enough experience. He's had substandard college coaching. He's not going to be the best QB on your roster in the first game of the season. Do you pass on him because he might not be ready to start on day one?

That is what he's basically saying...any rookie QB would be the best QB on our roster.

9. Post thanked by:

Novacane (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

its somewhat disheartening that with all the talk about bringing in a new guy next year that has come from the front office, and somewhat the coach, that Fitz appears to have accepted it, and not challenged that the job is his, either vocally or with his actions on the field
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mski View Post
    its somewhat disheartening that with all the talk about bringing in a new guy next year that has come from the front office, and somewhat the coach, that Fitz appears to have accepted it, and not challenged that the job is his, either vocally or with his actions on the field
    Well, I think everyone including Fitz has come to the realization that he has had his chance & blew it. You have not heard any of Fitz's teammates come to his defense lately either. It is over for him as a starter in the NFL. I do think he will be a back up for years to come somewhere however.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    That is what he's basically saying...any rookie QB would be the best QB on our roster.
    I don't think that's necessarily true, however. I've never been a big fan of Fitzpatrick, but I can see a lot of rookie quarterbacks coming in and making Fitzpatrick look like an all pro.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily true, however. I've never been a fan of Fitzpatrick, but I can imagine a lot of rookie quarterbacks coming in to Buffalo and making Fitzpatrick look like and all pro.

14. Post thanked by:

Night Train (11-15-2012),YardRat (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My apologies for the double post. My computer froze up while I was posting, and I thought it didn't post. Now I can't get the second one deleted. Stupid computer!

16. Post thanked by:

Night Train (11-15-2012),YardRat (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Double posts deserve double thanks.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

To be honest, I really don't give a **** what Chan Gailey thinks about rookie QB's, or drafted QB's for that matter...

First off, Gailey has never been the head coach of a team that had (or drafted) a rookie QB (and no, Levi Brown doesn't count). He had Troy Aikman in Dallas and has had Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo.

Furthermore, the Bills traded a draft pick to get Tavaris Jackson and, thus far, the guy hasn't even dressed for a game. That's the closest Gailey has ever come to "drafting" a QB, and he won't even let the guy suit up.

When Gailey wants to talk about drafting a "waterbug" RB at #9 overall, when he already has 2 starting caliber running backs on the roster, then only give the guy single digit carries in games, maybe I'll be interested in hearing why that is logical.*

* - Just to clarify, I'm bashing Gailey's use (or, more accurately, lack of use) of Spiller, not the fact that they drafted him.

-Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    To be honest, I really don't give a **** what Chan Gailey thinks about rookie QB's, or drafted QB's for that matter...

First off, Gailey has never been the head coach of a team that had (or drafted) a rookie QB (and no, Levi Brown doesn't count). He had Troy Aikman in Dallas and has had Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo.

Furthermore, the Bills traded a draft pick to get Tavaris Jackson and, thus far, the guy hasn't even dressed for a game. That's the closest Gailey has ever come to "drafting" a QB, and he won't even let the guy suit up.

When Gailey wants to talk about drafting a "waterbug" RB at #9 overall, when he already has 2 starting caliber running backs on the roster, then only give the guy single digit carries in games, maybe I'll be interested in hearing why that is logical.*

* - Just to clarify, I'm bashing Gailey's use (or, more accurately, lack of use) of Spiller, not the fact that they drafted him.

-Bill
    I think Nix had made comments in the recent past that he's in charge of acquiring the players, and Gailey is in charge of coaching them. Not sticking up for Gailey by any means, and depending on the degree of truth to the statements I'd have a hard time buying that Gailey doesn't have at least some input.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I think Nix had made comments in the recent past that he's in charge of acquiring the players, and Gailey is in charge of coaching them. Not sticking up for Gailey by any means, and depending on the degree of truth to the statements I'd have a hard time buying that Gailey doesn't have at least some input.
    That's fine and I get what you're saying, but then, maybe Nix should make sure that Gailey is going to actually use the players that he acquires... Tavaris Jackson is a perfect example of that.

With Jackson out, Gailey pretty much has to play Spiller more, unless he's gonna give Tashard Choice a bunch of carries... We'll see tomorrow night.

-Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mski View Post

He even knows he sucks