• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Re: Spiller was wide open on the last play for the Bills offense

Its like Fitz doesnt wanna make the easy TDs sometimes on purpose
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Buffalogic
      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Thanks.

Spiller is obviously open, but the pic doesn't show where the deep safety is on SJ's side of the field...he may not be coming open as clearly as the pic makes it appear.
      Yeah, I watched it again, there was no safety help. SJ13 had the whole area behind those two defenders all to himself =(

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
        So are there actually any pictures of the last play?

Spiller WIDE OPEN in space. Everybody else that you don't see in the picture were basically in the endzone.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by feldspar; 11-12-2012, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• kishoph
          • Jun 2003

There was a safety on that side, but if Fitz would have anticipated (hahaha, yea sure) and let it go, the safety would have not gotten there. Both the LB and corner bit on Spiller, leaving Stevie open. Still getting it to Spiller on the 12 in an open field would not have been a bad choice either, I'd put my money on Spiller in the open field any day.
          Last edited by kishoph; 11-12-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
            • Aug 2012

If Fitz hits Spiller in stride, he's fast enough to easily split two LBs and hit the EZ.

The only LB that even has a shot at him is stopped dead at that point.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Look. I'm fairly certain the play is designed for the middle as he threw to. 5 wides, 2 on each side line with one shalow and one deep. The fact that they got the look they wanted, you go with the 1st option, period! Graham made the wrong cut, and that's that. By all accounts, had Graham made the right cut, it'd be an easy TD catch and pitch (SJ seemed to have beaten the double team but that requires a much difficult throw to drop the ball over the two Pats guys and we don't know how close the safeties in the end zone). Going to CJ with 28 ticks left means we may have one more shot (a down and a spike to 4th down). The Graham route had a clear path for Fitz to the endzone. There is really no debate where the ball should go, except, EXCEPT it didn't work. Now all the 2nd hand argument.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
                If Fitz hits Spiller in stride, he's fast enough to easily split two LBs and hit the EZ.

The only LB that even has a shot at him is stopped dead at that point.
                I doubt. Remember there are 4 more D players not shown on that picture. I believe the guy who picked off Fitz could come up, and the one of each who doubled SJ and Chandler could come on both side to control the CJ moves as well. I'm not even sure it would be a first down. So you are talking about running & tackling mess, lining up to spike, and facing 4th down.

Those injuries to Jones and Jackson really screwed us up to be hones. We'd have all the running options in place with CJ or Jackson down at the 15 yard line.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  • Feb 2006

Spiller was open but he's a checkdown, that's usally open on plays like that. The real error is not throwing to Steve J. Patriots messed up their coverage and he was behind two defenders with the endzone all to himself. Real qb's see that and do what they need to to make that play successful. Fitzpatrick choked, pure and simple. There's no way Brady or even Matt Ryan misses that open receiver. I feel bad for stevie. It's the end of the day with the game on the line and fitz is throwing to a guy who can barely get on the field and not his go to guy or his best weapon Spiller? It's crazy.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                    Does the video show the game changing plays Super Mario made?

No he wasn't sitting on the bench.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

This is where we miss David Nelson....just sayin'.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Is there a snapshot of the same perspective, a few clicks prior to Fitz releasing the ball? I'd like to see the position of the players when he was looking off the safety by TJ.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Buffalogic
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
                          Spiller was open but he's a checkdown, that's usally open on plays like that. The real error is not throwing to Steve J. Patriots messed up their coverage and he was behind two defenders with the endzone all to himself. Real qb's see that and do what they need to to make that play successful. Fitzpatrick choked, pure and simple. There's no way Brady or even Matt Ryan misses that open receiver. I feel bad for stevie. It's the end of the day with the game on the line and fitz is throwing to a guy who can barely get on the field and not his go to guy or his best weapon Spiller? It's crazy.
                          Here's a link of Stevie on NFLAM implying the exact same thing that I did in my previous post. Games on the line and the ball didn't go to one of our staples.

Comment

• imbondz
                            Democrats are people too
                            • Jan 2003

anyone have a screen capture of that last play?
                            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              • Feb 2006

I'll take a pic showing how open stevie was in the end zone when I get home

Comment

• Buffalogic
                                • Feb 2006

At 3:16 in this video you can see that Stevie beats both shallow guys and the safety way too far out of position in order to defend him. Bills win if Fitz makes an accurate throw to him.

This screen capture (pretty bad quality) comes with the ball still in Fitzpatricks hand. Stevie wide open in the blue circle. Other two red circles are open players as well, CJ and I think DJ. So Fitz had 3 open receivers and two covered receivers, one being Chandler and the other Graham. He makes the worst possible decision and throws it to the covered rookie. Every other option would have been better. That's what we are dealing with. And I've made a lot of excuses for Fitz, but he freaked out and choked.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍