Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: We will go into last game of season with a shot at playoffs!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: We will go into last game of season with a shot at playoffs!

Other than Seattle our last 5 games are against some of the worst teams in the NFL. What does going 4-1 or even 5-0 in that stretch accomplish? Say we go 4-1 with a loss to the Seahawks. We finish 8-8 with all our wins coming against bad teams. We make minimal changes cause we're on the "right track" Then next year we don't get that cake schedule and go back to 6-10

2. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Other than Seattle our last 5 games are against some of the worst teams in the NFL. What does going 4-1 or even 5-0 in that stretch accomplish? Say we go 4-1 with a loss to the Seahawks. We finish 8-8 with all our wins coming against bad teams. We make minimal changes cause we're on the "right track" Then next year we don't get that cake schedule and go back to 6-10
    The right track has been off-track for a while.

4. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus we beat the 2-10 Jags without MJD and we are talking playoff's. That's optimism right there.
    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

6. Post thanked by:

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We will beat the Rams by the skin of our teeth, get squashed by the Seahags (I can see Lynch hanging us out to dry with 200+ yards and 3 or 4 tds) then we lay down and die against Miamia and we beat the Jets so we can get that coveted CB from The OHIO STATE university

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Billz_fan View Post
    Jesus we beat the 2-10 Jags without MJD and we are talking playoff's. That's optimism right there.
    Once a homer always a homer. Some people are just addicted to hope no matter how illogical it is. Heck supposedly half of the US population believes that there is a guy with a white beard in the sky watching their every move, judging,...
    Please Make Sense

9. Post thanked by:

Billz_fan (12-02-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Minimal changes?

So if we get a legit starting ILB and OLB. And draft a young prospect to push Fitz at QB what would those minimal changes equal in wins? 2?

I mean I can see that an upgraded LB'er corp that is productive will make a real impact against the run and pass. That alone may have won us 1 or 2 more games. And if we finish 8 and 8 and go into next season 2 games better were in the playoffs.

The better question is should an 8 and 8 team make major changes?
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-02-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Once a homer always a homer. Some people are just addicted to hope no matter how illogical it is. Heck supposedly half of the US population believes that there is a guy with a white beard in the sky watching their every move, judging,...
    Wait...are you trying to say Santa isn't real? :P

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Minimal changes?

So if we get a legit starting ILB and OLB. And draft a young prospect to push Fitz at QB what would those minimal changes equal in wins? 2?

I mean I can see that an upgraded LB'er corp that is productive will make a real impact against the run and pass. That alone may have won us 1 or 2 more games. And if we finish 8 and 8 and go into next season 2 games better were in the playoffs.

The better question is should an 8 and 8 team make major changes?
    8-8 also means we'll have a theoretically more difficult schedule.

And you know other teams also improve.

So unless we're going out and getting a top flight QB, not happening, an 8-8 or 7-9 this year will translate to 5-11 or so next year when we play a more difficult schedule.

Instead of playing the Titans, Browns and Chiefs of this league, we'll play teams like the Bengals, Colts and Chargers. Yeah I know we played the Colts this year but we won't play the South next year and instead draw the North. So we're 1-3 vs the North. Colts Chargers we'll be generous and say we win 1 of the two. We're now 2-4. Best we do in the division is 3-3 so now we're 5-7. Guess what division we get stuck with in the NFC?!? Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs. Congratulations the best this team is doing with this schedule is 7-9. 5-11 is more realistic.

So were is this 2 game improvement?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post

And you know other teams also improve.

So unless we're going out and getting a top flight QB, not happening, an 8-8 or 7-9 this year will translate to 5-11 or so next year when we play a more difficult schedule.

Instead of playing the Titans, Browns and Chiefs of this league, we'll play teams like the Bengals, Colts and Chargers. Yeah I know we played the Colts this year but we won't play the South next year and instead draw the North. So we're 1-3 vs the North. Colts Chargers we'll be generous and say we win 1 of the two. We're now 2-4. Best we do in the division is 3-3 so now we're 5-7. Guess what division we get stuck with in the NFC?!? Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs. Congratulations the best this team is doing with this schedule is 7-9. 5-11 is more realistic.

So were is this 2 game improvement?
    Possible. And going 2 and 14 or 3 and 13 with a whole new staff, new playbooks, and many rosters changes can also happen.

And as I've stated before I think my changes alone may make us split with the Pats. And if we can split with the Pats, we can beat just about anyone. Will we? Who know's.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-02-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our projected opponents are already tough next year. So schedule is last thing I care about right now

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Possible. And going 2 and 14 or 3 and 13 with a whole new staff, new playbooks, and many rosters changes can also happen.
    I'd rather go 2-14 with a new staff who's tearing this crap apart and building a roster and philosophy PROPERLY than go 6-10 with this current group of bums. We go into another season with status quo and it's nothing less than a throwaway season that will get us picking around 10th.

The talent gap between us and the AFC North besides Cleveland is immense. The talent gap between us and the NFC South besides Carolina is just as immense.

Then with the schedule we'll draw if we do finish 8-8, we'll be the second place team in the division playing the Colts and Chargers. Obviously the Colts are better than us and the Chargers, well you never know what kind of team they'll decide shows up from year to year. They can be good or be total crap...this year is the crap version.

Talent wise and coaching wise the difference between us and the schedule we'll draw is ridiculous. Keeping things intact you'll see us lose games to the Saints and Falcons like 45-20. Baltimore and Pittsburgh with Ben will beat us like 34-7. And then we can all sit here and go, ya know, we shoulda got rid of Gailey and company last year and tried a different direction.

Quite simply, this team in it's current state is NOT built to be a contender year in and year out. Hell, we're playing one of the easiest schedules you can hope to draw in a season and the best we're gonna do is 8-8. If that doesn't tell you we're well away from where we need to be, I don't know what will.

16. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade

I'd rather go 2-14 with a new staff who's tearing this crap apart and building a roster and philosophy PROPERLY than go 6-10 with this current group of bums. We go into another season with status quo and it's nothing less than a throwaway season that will get us picking around 10th.

The talent gap between us and the AFC North besides Cleveland is immense. The talent gap between us and the NFC South besides Carolina is just as immense.

Then with the schedule we'll draw if we do finish 8-8, we'll be the second place team in the division playing the Colts and Chargers. Obviously the Colts are better than us and the Chargers, well you never know what kind of team they'll decide shows up from year to year. They can be good or be total crap...this year is the crap version.

Talent wise and coaching wise the difference between us and the schedule we'll draw is ridiculous. Keeping things intact you'll see us lose games to the Saints and Falcons like 45-20. Baltimore and Pittsburgh with Ben will beat us like 34-7. And then we can all sit here and go, ya know, we shoulda got rid of Gailey and company last year and tried a different direction.

Quite simply, this team in it's current state is NOT built to be a contender year in and year out. Hell, we're playing one of the easiest schedules you can hope to draw in a season and the best we're gonna do is 8-8. If that doesn't tell you we're well away from where we need to be, I don't know what will.
    Yup

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather go 2-14 with a new staff who's tearing this crap apart and building a roster and philosophy PROPERLY than go 6-10 with this current group of bums.
    I know you would. That's why arguing is a bit pointless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So you want the Bills to lose out so they will have a easier schedule next year that is fawked

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know you would. That's why arguing is a bit pointless.
    And you'd rather go 6-10 with this current staff in their 4th year.

The schedule in 2014 ain't looking any better by the way. We draw the AFC West and NFC North.

So there's 5 years of this current staff, all wasted seasons.

When is enough enough and things merit a change?

You can say oh we'll improve year to year but these teams we play, that are already better than we are now with better coaching too, also improve. I mean technically, we can hope next year we go 3-13 and draw the 1st overall pick and get the next great can't miss franchise QB so in 2014 we improve and then 2015 we contend. I mean by 2015, Brady and the Pats should start slowing down. The Jets are a mess. And the Fish, well they're the Fish.

But that will be year 6 of the Gailey regime. I don't think anyone will want to give that guy a 6th year if the best record he musters is this year's meaningless 7-9/8-8. I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The schedule in 2014 ain't looking any better by the way. We draw the AFC West and NFC North.
    You have no idea at this point which teams will be good or bad in 2014

22. Post thanked by:

X-Era (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    So you want the Bills to lose out so they will have a easier schedule next year that is fawked
    No, it doesn't matter if we draw a 3rd place schedule vs the two AFC teams or a 2nd place schedule. We'll be going nowhere either way. We draw the AFC North and NFC South regardless of where we finish. 6 of those 8 teams are clearly better than we are.

Yes, what I am saying is next year is a throwaway season where we have ZERO chance at making the playoffs. NONE. ZILCH.

If we regress, which we will because our schedule will be more difficult than this year, Gailey surely won't survive. So why bother keeping him around after this year at all? Start over. Build this thing properly. Get a real coaching staff. So at least next year while we're not competing we can being building something that will be good enough to allow us to compete in the future. Or you know maybe people enjoy these 6-10 crapfests now since we're quite used to them around here.

The status quo simply isn't good enough nor will it ever be good enough.

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    You have no idea at this point which teams will be good or bad in 2014
    Very short sighted response. The same general teams are good year in and year out. The Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Saints, Falcons, whoever has Peyton Manning, Chicago, Green Bay.

We'll not focus on the NFC squads. In 2 years, the Pats, Ravens, Steelers w/ a healthy Ben, Colts, Texans, Broncos if Peyton is still there will still be good. It's not likely magically any of those teams will just implode. Due to injuries, you might get lucky and one of those teams might slip like this years Steelers. But half of those teams won't magically be terrible 2 years from now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And you'd rather go 6-10 with this current staff in their 4th year.

So there's 5 years of this current staff, all wasted seasons.

When is enough enough and things merit a change?

You can say oh we'll improve year to year but these teams we play, that are already better than we are now with better coaching too, also improve. I mean technically, we can hope next year we go 3-13 and draw the 1st overall pick and get the next great can't miss franchise QB so in 2014 we improve and then 2015 we contend. I mean by 2015, Brady and the Pats should start slowing down. The Jets are a mess. And the Fish, well they're the Fish.

But that will be year 6 of the Gailey regime. I don't think anyone will want to give that guy a 6th year if the best record he musters is this year's meaningless 7-9/8-8. I could be wrong.
    This year is probably not a playoff year that's almost a given. But perpetually canning HC's every 3 years has done squat for us. We have a long track record of that too.

If you could tell me we are able as a franchise to land a sure thing HC, I'd want that. I don't think we are. So I'd rather add a few more pieces to the defense and ask our offense to put up 20+ consistently. If we do that, we are a good enough team to be in the playoffs IMO. We are not that far off.

What we saw this year was:

1. A DC that stunk for far too long
    2. A group of players who took too long to demand solid play from each other
    3. A stud pass rusher take too long to get his arm healthy
    4. A rookie CB who took too long to develop into a solid starter
    5. A QB who won't win games for you but now has also lost a few for us too
    6. And a HC who waited too long to make Spiller the starter.

Oh, and add in a staff that ever thought Sheppard was good enough.

Much of that was a given going into the season:
    1. We identified that the LB'er corp was'nt adequate and would cost us against the run and pass and against Gronk, Welker, and the Pats... That happened.
    2. We identified early on that Freddie had lost a step and would need to be replaced with Spiller... That happened.
    3. We thought Fitz might regress and actually cost us games... That happened (it actually started last year)
    4. WE thought starting a rookie CB may cost us... It did.

And what we have to do now is:
    1. draft Fitz's replacement
    2. Get a solid starter at ILB and OLB
    3. Continue to add depth and players that can push the starters at #2 WR, SS, DT, OG, OT, TE

That isn't impossible. As I said, the LB'er upgrades alone wins us one more game. But forget that for a second. A defense that can rush the passer, has run stuffers at both the DL and LB levels, and has LB'ers that can cover the flats and seems will win us games. If we keep Byrd, our secondary will be improved with the development of Gilmore alone. I do think we need to figure out the other starter whether it's Williams, a vet, or another rookie. But on offense, we have shown we are capable of putting up enough points to win. Fitz is at best good enough to win, and at worst a liability. But, there unfortunately is no quick fix for replacing him so were stuck. The good news is our run game and OL is very good IMO and can carry this team to wins.

You're trying to say that we can't beat teams from division X or Y and next year we will face them. I don't agree. As I've stated, if we can split with the Pats, we can beat just about anyone. To be a playoff team we need a defense that's not ranked last, probably just in the top 15, and our current offense with it's potent run game and average pass game.

We are not that far off. I know you totally disagree which makes this discussion between us pointless but that's how I feel.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-02-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This year is probably not a playoff year that's almost a given. But perpetually canning HC's every 3 years has done squat for us. We have a long track record of that too.

If you could tell me we are able as a franchise to land a sure thing HC, I'd want that. I don't think we are. So I'd rather add a few more pieces to the defense and ask our offense to put up 20+ consistently. If we do that, we are a good enough team to be in the playoffs IMO. We are not that far off.

What we saw this year was a DC that stunk for far too long, a group of players who took too long to demand solid play from each other, a stud pass rusher take too long to get his arm healthy, a rookie CB who took too long to develop into a solid starter, a QB who won't win games for you but now has also lost a few for us too, and a HC who waited too long to make Spiller the starter.

Oh, and add in a staff that ever thought Sheppard was good enough.

And what we have to do is draft Fitz's replacement, and get a solid starter at ILB and OLB. That isn't impossible. As I said, the LB'er upgrades alone wins us one more game. But forget that for a second. A defense that can rush the passer, has run stuffers at both the DL and LB levels, and has LB'ers that can cover the flats and seems will win us games. If we keep Byrd, our secondary will be improved with the development of Gilmore alone. I do think we need to figure out the other starter whether it's Williams, a vet, or another rookie. But on offense, we have shown we are capable of putting up enough points to win. Fitz is at best good eoungh to win, and at worst a liability. But, there unfortunately is no quick fix for replacing him so were stuck. The good news is our run game and OL is very good IMO and can carry this team to wins.

We are not that far off. I know you totally disagree which makes this discussion between us pointless but that's how I feel.
    Problem on the QB front is we're simply not bad enough to draft the replacement. So we're gonna go into next year with one of these three guys at starting QB. Fitz, Smith or Vick. Because that's what is gonna be available to us. Or we'll take a 2nd round pick and try to make Bray the franchise guy. I don't think any of that is the answer at QB and I'm sure you don't either. So there we are still stuck with crap behind center, Vick would sell some jerseys at least if that counts.

Then we have our defensive woes where we have at least 4 spots to address. LB, S, CB.

And oh we need some WRs for whatever craptastic QB we have to throw the ball to.

Oh then we have a Guard who we must resign, a RT who's a liability and a C who's made of glass.

It's not all coaching that's the problem, sure it's a big problem, but so is the lack of a top flight QB and playmakers besides CJ and Byrd. Oh yeah, we need to resign or tag him too.

A top flight QB would hide a lot of the flaws without question, we're simply not in a position where any will be available to us however.

28. Post thanked by: