• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

X's rant

So wait, this is hilarious actually.

The stellar defense needed to consistently beat a HOF HC and HOF QB led offense was never actually built so that a career average to sub-par QB didn't need to win the game for us by throwing to a rookie WR who ran the wrong route?

Anyone who doesn't think this is on Fitz is right. It's not totally.
    Anyone who doesn't think this is on the defense is right. It isn't totally.
    And anyone who doesn't think this happened because we counted on a rookie is also right. It isn't totally.

The concept was supposed to be that we could win enough games to get to the playoffs without a franchise QB if we had a very good defense. Guess what we don't. And no defense will be able to play strong enough for Fitz to be all we need at QB either. They BOTH are inadequate.

And, personally I'd like to not be counting on rookies with the game on the line.

Today, our defense did enough to put us in a position where we could win. Our QB did not have enough in him to secure it.

And that will happen over and over. It won't be the frequent reason why we lose. But it will happen enough to prevent us from a SB win and likely even a playoff birth. It won't be the only reason we lose games but there will be games like this one where we will lose because of Fitz. Remember? He doesn't have to win games for us as long as he doesn't cost us games either. That's the concept with a mediocre QB remember? Well you just watched what that gets you.

If you want a SB winning team, sometimes a great D isn't enough. We may go up against very efficient offenses that will move the ball on anyone. We may need a QB good enough to make a few big plays to win the game for us... And we don't have either so we lost against a very good Pats team. Just that easy.

Want it fixed? You get both.

You get enough high quality players on defense at enough positions and you run an effective scheme. Our defense lacks adequate line-backing and runs a scheme that leaves the flats open consistently. Welker and Gronk exploit the hell out of that. And we knew they would going into the seasons. We knew the LB corp was not strong enough to handle Gronk and Welker. Upgrade the LB corp with players that can cover lot's of ground. Te'o is gifted in coverage as witnessed by his high number of picks. He's one guy. There are others and possibilities through free agency as well. The run game has exploited Sheppard, Barnett, Scott, and Bradham as well. I'm so sick of watching our LB run up to a hole, almost right at the blocker, get engulfed, and then watch the runner run right by them. It's inadequate talent. Barnett is past his prime, Sheppard will never have it, Scott is not an adequate run support LB and isn't really a starter anyway, and Bradham is a rookie. We need an upgrade at ILB and at least one OLB spot. And if you want to win sooner rather than later, they better be significant upgrades right off the bat.

It's not all on the talent level on defense. Wanny should have already been fired. Any moron can go into this game and know they will throw a lot to Gronk and Welker in the flats. Yet we consistently run zone coverage in that area and leave it wide open. I realize these guys are gifted and with a HOF QB throwing too them they are deadly. But, there is no reason they should be wide open so often. I can deal with them making a catch with a guy draped on them; they are just that good. But, I can't deal with them being wide open anymore. I'd like to hear Ing and/or a few others breakdown how you can adequately cover the flats in a 4-3. Regardless, Wanny isn't doing the job and has to go.

You get a legit QB. It's an age old debate around here. How good a QB do we need? IMO, It better be a guy that can carry the team at times to wins. I don't need Peyton Manning. But would I like a guy that I can count on to move the team on the last drive and deliver a strike in the end zone to win that game? You're damn right I do. We need an upgrade at QB.

• A guy who can lead- Fitz is adequate in this area
    • A guy with gifted play making ability and savvy to make key plays at key times- Fitz is inadequate
    • We need a guy that can control the offense, read the defense, and move the ball consistently- Fitz is adequate
    • We need a guy with accuracy to deliver the ball in tight places and away from defenders consistently- Fitz is inadequate
    • We need a guy who can make all the NFL throws- Fitz is inadequate
    • We need a guy with pocket presence to feel the rush and scramble or throw the ball away- Fitz is adequate
    • We need a guy with good decision making to go through progressions quickly and find the open man- Fitz is adequate

Fitz has many of the qualities you look for. Unfortunately, he's missing a few that will prevent us from winning some games. He is too inaccurate, cannot make all the NFL throws, and does not have enough ability to make big plays at big moments to win games.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM.

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: X's rant

I'm starting to wish we had pursued Manning instead of Mario....

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Bingo.

but that would take a real organization to have sold Peyton on the place.

We have Buddy and Russ.

Comment

• Bangarang
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
        Bingo.

but that would take a real organization to have sold Peyton on the place.

We have Buddy and Russ.
        It's not like Manning interviewed with every NFL team but us. He had a very small and specific list of teams that he would play for. Guess what? We weren't on that list.

Comment

• djjimkelly
          • Apr 2003

i agree but we dont have wrs so he wouldnt have come here.

mario was the right move and in the end he will prove that

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Manning wouldn't come this mismanaged organization unless we gave him an ownership stake, which Ralph would never do.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              • May 2009

I already wish the Bills traded Freddy instead of Beastmode.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

I'm confused by the statement "The defense did enough ..."

It didn't.

It gave up 37 points...again.

It kept NE from scoring on exactly 2 of 9 drives.

It isn't a great D.
                It isn't a good D.

Its actually the worst in the league.

Maybe it would get better if just one of the 5 former No. 1 picks on the D would actually step up and make a play, rather than relying exclusively on Kyle Williams.

Eric Wood would be justified in giving his "Why don't you give back some of that money you didn't earn" to just about the entire D.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                  i havent liked freddy ever in a bills uniform yes hes a quality enough player.

but hes a feel good guy. its something part of the fan base needed a couple years ( i didnt) but hes an over 30 guy who is a great blocker but spiller and lynch are light years better RB's

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

It didn't.

It isn't a great D.
                    It isn't a good D.

Maybe it would get better if just one of the 5 former No. 1 picks on the D would actually step up and make a play, rather than relying exclusively on Kyle Williams.

Eric Wood would be justified in giving his "Why don't you give back some of that money you didn't earn" to just about the entire D.
                    So, I can agree with your point. But, my comment was more of a snapshot on how the game ended. The defense prevented points late in the game which led to us getting in a position to win. We closed the gap to be in the position to win. That was my point.

If we had been in the lead and simply needed to coast to a win and then gave up points to lose, It would be the opposite of what happened.

But, the Pats scored all game long and the defense stepped up at the end to prevent them from putting it out of reach... Say it this way... in the 4th quarter, the defense had to prevent additional points, and the offense had to score to win... and the defense did their job in that quarter. But yes, overall they failed again.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                      It took two years. Last season you were telling everyone how imperative it was for the Bills to resign Fred.

In September you were defending Nix, you felt this team had talent, a month later you join the Nix bashing. Late in arriving to the party, but better than never arriving at all.

You talk a lot of ****, but change stances/position every other week.
                      Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

It didn't.

It isn't a great D.
                        It isn't a good D.

So you seriously watched the entire game, saw the George Wilson Pass Interference, the Stephon Gilmore (within 5 yards) Pass Interference, the 2 uncatchable ball Pass Interferences and merit what you say? The WORLD knows that this game was scripted and sad and you want to pretend that the defense had control over an 82 yard TD drive where 69 yards came from penalties... that so happened to be on 3rd down and an unreal long? The team came to play, they were absolutely thrown under the bus.
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                          So, I can agree with your point. But, my comment was more of a snapshot on how the game ended. The defense prevented points late in the game which led to us getting in a position to win. We closed the gap to be in the position to win. That was my point.

If we had been in the lead and simply needed to coast to a win and then gave up points to lose, It would be the opposite of what happened.

But, the Pats scored all game long and the defense stepped up at the end to prevent them from putting it out of reach... Say it this way... in the 4th quarter, the defense had to prevent additional points, and the offense had to score to win... and the defense did their job in that quarter. But yes, overall they failed again.
                          Era I never try to defile you, but seriously? The Pats* "scored all game long" because of bull**** penalties. They got TWO TOUCHDOWNS FROM AUTOMATIC 1ST AND GOAL! How, in a fair league where (since 1919, thanks baseball) a commissioner is put in place does that make any ****ing sense?

Bills fans are again without a playoff year because Mr. Goodell wanted his Patriots to win off their bye week and do good on Veterans day. I honestly have no other way of thinking what was in the referees minds because of how pathetically the game was called.
                          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

Well, if you want to look at it that way, the offense 'stepped up' and did it's job for almost the entire game, moving the ball and putting points on the board trying to keep up with a New England offense that was, once again, scoring at will on our pathetic defense.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                              • Sep 2009

Defense did it's job fellas, it kept the Patriots from scoring over 45+ point which it failed to do in their last two matchups.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but think about that for a minute. Keeping them from scoring over 40 points is progress for this team. ****ing pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍