Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X's rant

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

X's rant

So wait, this is hilarious actually.

The stellar defense needed to consistently beat a HOF HC and HOF QB led offense was never actually built so that a career average to sub-par QB didn't need to win the game for us by throwing to a rookie WR who ran the wrong route?

Anyone who doesn't think this is on Fitz is right. It's not totally.
    Anyone who doesn't think this is on the defense is right. It isn't totally.
    And anyone who doesn't think this happened because we counted on a rookie is also right. It isn't totally.

The concept was supposed to be that we could win enough games to get to the playoffs without a franchise QB if we had a very good defense. Guess what we don't. And no defense will be able to play strong enough for Fitz to be all we need at QB either. They BOTH are inadequate.

And, personally I'd like to not be counting on rookies with the game on the line.

Today, our defense did enough to put us in a position where we could win. Our QB did not have enough in him to secure it.

And that will happen over and over. It won't be the frequent reason why we lose. But it will happen enough to prevent us from a SB win and likely even a playoff birth. It won't be the only reason we lose games but there will be games like this one where we will lose because of Fitz. Remember? He doesn't have to win games for us as long as he doesn't cost us games either. That's the concept with a mediocre QB remember? Well you just watched what that gets you.

If you want a SB winning team, sometimes a great D isn't enough. We may go up against very efficient offenses that will move the ball on anyone. We may need a QB good enough to make a few big plays to win the game for us... And we don't have either so we lost against a very good Pats team. Just that easy.

Want it fixed? You get both.

You get enough high quality players on defense at enough positions and you run an effective scheme. Our defense lacks adequate line-backing and runs a scheme that leaves the flats open consistently. Welker and Gronk exploit the hell out of that. And we knew they would going into the seasons. We knew the LB corp was not strong enough to handle Gronk and Welker. Upgrade the LB corp with players that can cover lot's of ground. Te'o is gifted in coverage as witnessed by his high number of picks. He's one guy. There are others and possibilities through free agency as well. The run game has exploited Sheppard, Barnett, Scott, and Bradham as well. I'm so sick of watching our LB run up to a hole, almost right at the blocker, get engulfed, and then watch the runner run right by them. It's inadequate talent. Barnett is past his prime, Sheppard will never have it, Scott is not an adequate run support LB and isn't really a starter anyway, and Bradham is a rookie. We need an upgrade at ILB and at least one OLB spot. And if you want to win sooner rather than later, they better be significant upgrades right off the bat.

It's not all on the talent level on defense. Wanny should have already been fired. Any moron can go into this game and know they will throw a lot to Gronk and Welker in the flats. Yet we consistently run zone coverage in that area and leave it wide open. I realize these guys are gifted and with a HOF QB throwing too them they are deadly. But, there is no reason they should be wide open so often. I can deal with them making a catch with a guy draped on them; they are just that good. But, I can't deal with them being wide open anymore. I'd like to hear Ing and/or a few others breakdown how you can adequately cover the flats in a 4-3. Regardless, Wanny isn't doing the job and has to go.

You get a legit QB. It's an age old debate around here. How good a QB do we need? IMO, It better be a guy that can carry the team at times to wins. I don't need Peyton Manning. But would I like a guy that I can count on to move the team on the last drive and deliver a strike in the end zone to win that game? You're damn right I do. We need an upgrade at QB.

• A guy who can lead- Fitz is adequate in this area
    • A guy with gifted play making ability and savvy to make key plays at key times- Fitz is inadequate
    • We need a guy that can control the offense, read the defense, and move the ball consistently- Fitz is adequate
    • We need a guy with accuracy to deliver the ball in tight places and away from defenders consistently- Fitz is inadequate
    • We need a guy who can make all the NFL throws- Fitz is inadequate
    • We need a guy with pocket presence to feel the rush and scramble or throw the ball away- Fitz is adequate
    • We need a guy with good decision making to go through progressions quickly and find the open man- Fitz is adequate

Fitz has many of the qualities you look for. Unfortunately, he's missing a few that will prevent us from winning some games. He is too inaccurate, cannot make all the NFL throws, and does not have enough ability to make big plays at big moments to win games.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-12-2012 at 07:42 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-12-2012)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,072 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: X's rant

I'm starting to wish we had pursued Manning instead of Mario....

4. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-12-2012),djjimkelly (11-12-2012),jlgarsh (11-12-2012),X-Era (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Bingo.

but that would take a real organization to have sold Peyton on the place.

We have Buddy and Russ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Bingo.

but that would take a real organization to have sold Peyton on the place.

We have Buddy and Russ.
    It's not like Manning interviewed with every NFL team but us. He had a very small and specific list of teams that he would play for. Guess what? We weren't on that list.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i agree but we dont have wrs so he wouldnt have come here.

mario was the right move and in the end he will prove that

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Manning wouldn't come this mismanaged organization unless we gave him an ownership stake, which Ralph would never do.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I already wish the Bills traded Freddy instead of Beastmode.

10. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm confused by the statement "The defense did enough ..."

It didn't.

It gave up 37 points...again.

It kept NE from scoring on exactly 2 of 9 drives.

It isn't a great D.
    It isn't a good D.

Its actually the worst in the league.

Maybe it would get better if just one of the 5 former No. 1 picks on the D would actually step up and make a play, rather than relying exclusively on Kyle Williams.

Eric Wood would be justified in giving his "Why don't you give back some of that money you didn't earn" to just about the entire D.

12. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    i havent liked freddy ever in a bills uniform yes hes a quality enough player.

but hes a feel good guy. its something part of the fan base needed a couple years ( i didnt) but hes an over 30 guy who is a great blocker but spiller and lynch are light years better RB's

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

It didn't.

It isn't a great D.
    It isn't a good D.

Maybe it would get better if just one of the 5 former No. 1 picks on the D would actually step up and make a play, rather than relying exclusively on Kyle Williams.

Eric Wood would be justified in giving his "Why don't you give back some of that money you didn't earn" to just about the entire D.
    So, I can agree with your point. But, my comment was more of a snapshot on how the game ended. The defense prevented points late in the game which led to us getting in a position to win. We closed the gap to be in the position to win. That was my point.

If we had been in the lead and simply needed to coast to a win and then gave up points to lose, It would be the opposite of what happened.

But, the Pats scored all game long and the defense stepped up at the end to prevent them from putting it out of reach... Say it this way... in the 4th quarter, the defense had to prevent additional points, and the offense had to score to win... and the defense did their job in that quarter. But yes, overall they failed again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    It took two years. Last season you were telling everyone how imperative it was for the Bills to resign Fred.

In September you were defending Nix, you felt this team had talent, a month later you join the Nix bashing. Late in arriving to the party, but better than never arriving at all.

You talk a lot of ****, but change stances/position every other week.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

It didn't.

It isn't a great D.
    It isn't a good D.

So you seriously watched the entire game, saw the George Wilson Pass Interference, the Stephon Gilmore (within 5 yards) Pass Interference, the 2 uncatchable ball Pass Interferences and merit what you say? The WORLD knows that this game was scripted and sad and you want to pretend that the defense had control over an 82 yard TD drive where 69 yards came from penalties... that so happened to be on 3rd down and an unreal long? The team came to play, they were absolutely thrown under the bus.
    Bye Bye Brady...

17. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    So, I can agree with your point. But, my comment was more of a snapshot on how the game ended. The defense prevented points late in the game which led to us getting in a position to win. We closed the gap to be in the position to win. That was my point.

If we had been in the lead and simply needed to coast to a win and then gave up points to lose, It would be the opposite of what happened.

But, the Pats scored all game long and the defense stepped up at the end to prevent them from putting it out of reach... Say it this way... in the 4th quarter, the defense had to prevent additional points, and the offense had to score to win... and the defense did their job in that quarter. But yes, overall they failed again.
    Era I never try to defile you, but seriously? The Pats* "scored all game long" because of bull**** penalties. They got TWO TOUCHDOWNS FROM AUTOMATIC 1ST AND GOAL! How, in a fair league where (since 1919, thanks baseball) a commissioner is put in place does that make any ****ing sense?

Bills fans are again without a playoff year because Mr. Goodell wanted his Patriots to win off their bye week and do good on Veterans day. I honestly have no other way of thinking what was in the referees minds because of how pathetically the game was called.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, if you want to look at it that way, the offense 'stepped up' and did it's job for almost the entire game, moving the ball and putting points on the board trying to keep up with a New England offense that was, once again, scoring at will on our pathetic defense.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

20. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Defense did it's job fellas, it kept the Patriots from scoring over 45+ point which it failed to do in their last two matchups.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but think about that for a minute. Keeping them from scoring over 40 points is progress for this team. ****ing pathetic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Defense did it's job fellas, it kept the Patriots from scoring over 45+ point which it failed to do in their last two matchups.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but think about that for a minute. Keeping them from scoring over 40 points is progress for this team. ****ing pathetic.
    The moron is STRONG in this one!

Please ****ing tell me that the referees had nothing to do with the bull**** calls and we lost by less than one score? PLEASE! Watch the tape, analyze the situations, and PLEASE tell me the defense didn't do it's job without the penalties!

PLEASE!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    The moron is STRONG in this one!

Please ****ing tell me that the referees had nothing to do with the bull**** calls and we lost by less than one score? PLEASE! Watch the tape, analyze the situations, and PLEASE tell me the defense didn't do it's job without the penalties!

PLEASE!
    Even if you take away the long bull**** PI on Gilmore, they gave up 30 points. Fitzpatrick fumble also put the D in bad field position. Bottom line, the Patriots punted twice yesterday. If that's a defense doing it's job then I want no part of it. Defense wasn't horrid, that's the bottom line, and mongoloids like yourself are fine with that.

Offense posted a franchise record in first downs and had a great game from a total yards perspective, so I guess the offense was amazing even though they turned it over 3 times.

Perspective, get some.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    So you seriously watched the entire game, saw the George Wilson Pass Interference, the Stephon Gilmore (within 5 yards) Pass Interference, the 2 uncatchable ball Pass Interferences and merit what you say? The WORLD knows that this game was scripted and sad and you want to pretend that the defense had control over an 82 yard TD drive where 69 yards came from penalties... that so happened to be on 3rd down and an unreal long? The team came to play, they were absolutely thrown under the bus.
    The Wilson PI call was on 2nd down. It was a bad call. Unfortunately, Gilmore got flagged for an obvious PI penalty in the end zone 2 plays later. They may have stopped them, maybe not.

On the series with Gilmore's 2nd PI call, Byrd was flagged for PI away from the ball. It should have been illegal contact, but it would have still given NE a 1st down, on a 3rd and 10 play.

The next play, Gilmore was flagged for an obvious facemask call, adding 15 yards to an 11 yard run.

The play after that, Gilmore was flagged for the long PI call. It was a 1st down play, it isn't like they had stopped NE on the series.

They made enough bonehead plays, including Gilmore, to blame the score entirely on the refs.

25. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll preface what I'm going to say by saying I pretty much agree with your conclusions in the OP. Pretty much.

But zoom out from the snapshot you are talking about, just a little bit.

-The offense is mounting a comeback, the 17 point deficit is down to 3.
    -The D takes the field at the NE 32 with 8 minutes to go.
    -The D subsequently allows NE to run off a 14 play, 6 minute drive, giving the O the ball back with 2 minutes to go.

They basically said, "here you go, you have 2 minutes to drive 80 yards and score yet another TD, on top of the 4 you previously scored. "

I just don't see that as "stepping up."

31 points by the O is more than enough cushion for even an average D to step up. You can't keep putting that type of pressure on the O and expect them to succeed every time. Not this O, at least.

I think I agree with your premise, I think they envisioned a great D that would allow an average O to succeed. That's the way they divided the talent at least.

In reality, they are asking an average QB, with average to below average receivers, to be a Manning or a Brees and score at will, overcoming a what is a below average D.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If this team had an average D, they beat the Titans and they beat NE yesterday.

SF, NE-first matchup and the Jets game were just blowouts.

We're a 5-4 team that's tied for first in the East with just an average defense.

28. Post thanked by:

Ingtar33 (11-12-2012),YardRat (11-12-2012)