Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bills Future looking bright

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Future looking bright

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    The future is not bright.

We're in year three of the Nix/Gailey regime and we're further away from contending than when we started.
    Not true. Our record doesn't reflect it but the amount of players we have that are considered top tier players has gone up, especially home grown ones. We have drastically increased our talent pool and we have at least improved our offense. Our defense is a work in progress because of new faces and a new scheme.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    Our defense is a work in progress because of new faces and a new scheme.
    Are you kidding me? Ranked 31st? Maybe we'll finally make it to 15 after 3 more years.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not true. Our record doesn't reflect it but the amount of players we have that are considered top tier players has gone up, especially home grown ones. We have drastically increased our talent pool and we have at least improved our offense. Our defense is a work in progress because of new faces and a new scheme.
    I'll agree with your 1st statement. Now there's only one way to interpret the results of :
    Better players=worse w/l record
    The team needs a new head coach & assistant coaching staff. The defense isn't a work in progress because of new faces & a new scheme, it's a work in progress because it needs a different new scheme.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Exactly and over the last three years we have managed to add some critical pieces. You say WR but we only really need a #2 which is not hard to find. 4-3 LBs are not hard to find either. Especially in rounds 2 and 3 and 4 where there are typically a lot of good ones. CB and safety is more luxury than anything. We have Gilmore now and we have other young guys opposite him who are still learning. Williams still has a chance to be a player at either CB or S. Searcy is a guy that is getting more time and can challenge for a starting spot. So I don't agree that these are big needs but more things that we can just improve on.

The only really big need we have is QB and maybe MLB. MLB can be filled by Shepp as he is in his first full season as starter in a new defense. He probably isn't playing fast because he is reacting constantly instead of acting. Either way, we need to spend a high pick on a LB either inside or outside.

Bottom line, if our DL was playing at a high level this year we would be 6-3 rather than 3-6. As we have often scored enough to win games. This team isn't far and our needs can be addressed in one offseason.
    No we need more than a #2 WR, we still have no reliable slot option and maybe Graham one day develops but given how you just blamed him on Sunday for the INT, he is still a long way away if he doesn't know which option he's supposed to be running.

4-3 LB's are a lot harder to find then you're making it out to be.

Neither CB or SAF is a luxury, Williams has been atrocious, McKelvin has been servicable at best, and Rogers has regressed. Maybe Brooks develops but he's seen more as a nickle CB which we need anyways. Wilson has been garbage and Searcy is a backup and should never be a starter.

We have big needs all over the field on both sides. This sugar coating of our weaknesses has to stop, we severly lack talent on both sides of the ball. If that's not as apparent on game day as the lack of coaching then I honestly don't know what football game you are watching. To blame all of this on the DL is utterly ridiculous. They take a full share, but them doing better does not fix the entire defense.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

5. Post thanked by:

Bills Juggernaut (11-14-2012),OpIv37 (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The future of the Bills is bright? Get off of drugs.

7. Post thanked by:

TrEd FTW (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    The future of the Bills is bright? Get off of drugs.
    I think we should all quit the Bills and get on drugs. It seems like a much healthier, happier way to live.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We regressed statistically, so if your goal was failure than we've moved further along.

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i read the title of this thread thinking The Old Fart FINALLY croaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

11. Post thanked by:

EDS (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Please list the top tier talent home grown talent that Buddy has brought in. Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn are about it and each is still going through growing pains rather than being considered a true top tier player at their position. Compare and contrast to say the Pats, who in the same three year period have brought in Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ridley, Spikes, Solder, Jones & Hightower.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Our Oline is ****. It can't protect Fitz and can't get short yards.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Levitre needs to be re-signed, otherwise LG is a weakness.
    Pears is anything but stout, he consistently blows...can't handle power or speed against the pass, is an adequate run blocker at best.
    The main reason our d-line doesn't get to the QB is a ****ty coordinator, and underwhelming performances by the players themselves.

I do, however, agree that the team is not that far away. A MLB, a real DC, and a better QB and I will feel a little bit more confident.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have heard it said that the difference between the Bills and the rest of the NFL teams is that the other teams can always say, "There's always next year" while it's always, "There's always the year after next" with the Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Levitre needs to be re-signed, otherwise LG is a weakness.
    Agreed, and it should be a no brainer.

I really like 3/5ths of the Oline now, for the first time in a while.

Cordy Glenn needs help on speed rushers, but it is really no more than a quick chip block that's needed.

His run blocking on the other hand....is superb. Probably the best run blocking lineman we've had since Jason Peters. On the FJax TD, he blocked 3 guys. He helped Levitre on the DE, knocking him sideways 2 yards, then going to the 2nd level and driving back Mayo 2 yards. While he was on Mayo, he shifted his body to cut off an oncoming McCourtney.

One play. Three blocks. You can just see the left side of the line cave in when he drive blocks. Get him some work on pass blocking and he's Pro Bowl material.

Pears is anything but stout, he consistently blows...can't handle power or speed against the pass, is an adequate run blocker at best.
    Never really liked him, always said, at best, he gets in front of a guy for a second. he usually prevents clean shots, but you aren't going to get more than 2 seconds of pocket protection from him.

Hairston is taking over anyways. Not the greatest, but not a swinging gate, either.

The main reason our d-line doesn't get to the QB is a ****ty coordinator, and underwhelming performances by the players themselves.
    Watched Replay tonight, a hell of a lot better than the choppy comp. feeds I get, and I get to rewind, something I can't do when I go out to watch them.

Keyed on Mario. Though he was on the right a lot, they moved him inside a few times. Stood him up, put his hand in the ground, moved him from side to side.

He did....next to nothing.

I saw one, possibly two pressures when he rushed from the inside. On the outside..nothing. People think they are pressures sometimes when he runs around the QB from behind, but they aren't. He might have been close enough to horse collar Brady once, but Brady never had to so much as step up in the pocket.

If he learned a club, swim, spin move, or learned to dip his shoulder into a blocker, he could be dominant. But if he hasn't learned that by now....he probably won't.

As it is, he doesn't require a double team, I didn't see him doubled once... and outside of maybe 4 plays, was invisible.

I do, however, agree that the team is not that far away. A MLB, a real DC, and a better QB and I will feel a little bit more confident.
    -You won't get a better QB if you keep drafting DB's.

-I'm definitely open to suggestions for DC's.

I'll say this about the NE game, especially after watching it again....I don't know how anyone on the D can look anyone the O in the eye after that game...(except Kyle Williams).

Mario Williams doesn't show much more effort than Mike Williams;
    Barnett tries, I think...
    Gilmore is just a dumbass. The first PI call was so freaking obvious;
    Even on the controversial call, where it might have called uncatchable, he knocked the receiver to the ground while the ball was in the air.

I mean, the offense moved the ball, made blocks, caught balls, scored points.

Somehow they take the blame for one mistake.

The defense had about 59 minutes of continuous mistakes.

God, they suck.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Their future does not look bright. They have actually gotten worse since Nix and Gailey took over. The Brandon/Jauron reign was better than this, amazingly enough. How sad is that? Nix and Gailey are 13-28 overall and 2-13 against the AFC East, there are weaknesses littered throughout the roster (QB being the most important one; same story as when they took over), and some fans have the gall to say they're making progress? **** off.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Please list the top tier talent home grown talent that Buddy has brought in. Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn are about it and each is still going through growing pains rather than being considered a true top tier player at their position. Compare and contrast to say the Pats, who in the same three year period have brought in Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ridley, Spikes, Solder, Jones & Hightower.
    Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Stevie... I give Gailey credit for turning Stevie into a top WR

Levitre -- Top LG in AFC right now

Wood - Among top 5 C in AFC

Urbik - Among top 5 RG in AFC - Taken off waiver wire but was a young player and became good with us so its basically homegrown.

Byrd - Among top FS in league

9 players that a ton of teams would love to get their hands on is not bad for a team that two years ago had literally nothing.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 11-14-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TrEd FTW View Post
    Their future does not look bright. They have actually gotten worse since Nix and Gailey took over. The Brandon/Jauron reign was better than this, amazingly enough. How sad is that? Nix and Gailey are 13-28 overall and 2-13 against the AFC East, there are weaknesses littered throughout the roster (QB being the most important one; same story as when they took over), and some fans have the gall to say they're making progress? **** off.
    They have gotten worse by record. Overall talent has improved and they turned a 32nd ranked offense into a near top 10 offense. The defense is a work in progress that needed to be blown up before it could get better. With the young talent on the team and the vets we have already it should grow into a very good defense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Stevie... I give Gailey credit for turning Stevie into a top WR

Levitre -- Top LG in AFC right now

Wood - Among top 5 C in AFC

Urbik - Among top 5 RG in AFC - Taken off waiver wire but was a young player and became good with us so its basically homegrown.

9 players that a ton of teams would love to get their hands on is not bad for a team that two years ago had literally nothing.
    Buddy did not bring in Johnson, Wood, Levitre or Byrd. That was the previous regime and all four were on the team 4 years ago! The only guys on your list that weren't here two years ago are Gilmore and Dareus.

Again, since you are blind to these things, try and find a team that has drafted in the top 10 and has brought in less talent in the past three years.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like Urbik, but you are overrating them there. And Byrd was Defensive Rookie of the Year (Non-Juicing division) before he even met Chan Gailey.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They have gotten worse by record. Overall talent has improved and they turned a 32nd ranked offense into a near top 10 offense.
    "near top 10 offense"?

They are 14th in total offense. They were 14th in total offense last year. They were 25th in total offense in 2010 and 30th in Jauron's 2009 when Jauron coached the team.

So he took a bad offense and made them average.

Of course, they were 19th in total defense in 2009 and 14th in total defense in 2008. They are 31st in total defense this year and were 26th in total defense in 2011.

So he took a average defense and made them bad.

I fail to see anything that makes me feel all warm and cuddly about the future.

You know what really kills me? Right now, in a KC Chiefs forum somewhere some optimistic schmuck created a thread about how the future in bright. The team only needs a new coaching staff, to turn around their terrible turnover ratio and a new QB to right the offense. Lots of young talent there, our young KC Chiefs fan is thinking.

Speaking of turnover ratio, there is probably no better statistic that correlates with winning in the NFL. The playoff teams usually are near the top in that category, the also-rans the bottom. This year the top-10 teams are: NE, CHI, TB, NYG, HOU, ATL, BAL, WAS, GB, SF. The Redskins are the only team in that group without a good shot at the playoffs.

The Bills are 30th in turnover ratio (better than the Eagles and Chiefs, yay!). They were 15th last year, 32nd in 2010. Under Jauron they were 23rd (2006), 6th (2007), 27th (2008) and 11th (2009). Are they really better off?
    Last edited by GingerP; 11-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,895 Times in 3,464 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QB -- Fitz is the best we have right now, but if someone can come in and learn the Gailey system and add to it a stronger arm and more accuracy then we have a top 3 offense.
    You had me until this. Translation: "if you give me a million dollars I'll be a millionaire".