• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: Dome Stadium in Buffalo

There was a time when I was dead set against the idea of a dome, but times have changed. While I love football being played in the elements, the reasons to play inside have begun to outweigh the positives of playing in the elements, most of which have already been discussed - more events, more revenue, more seats filled at games, etc. For the Bills to stay in the region long-term, this really has to happen, and it could be a huge boost for the area even outside of sporting events. I look at the development of Baltimore's Inner Harbor as a good example of how some improvements to a city center, including sports facilities, convention centers, and tourist destinations can really be a catalyst for growth in other area businesses, both big and small.

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
      a stadium isn't even the beginning of the issue for superbowl possibilities. not enough hotesl for big spenders. traffic and business near stadium still not enough. no doubt if the buffalo could host something like this, people would be amazingly supportive and show the buffalo menatlity of being good people.
      Sorry, but I can't agree with this...

Indianapolis just hosted a Super Bowl and they're comparable with Buffalo when it comes to hotels, businesses, etc... Especially if you add in the "Toronto Factor." Toronto is what, 90 minutes away from Buffalo? The closest "major" city to Indy is probably Cincinnati and that's over 2 hours away.

Besides, part of the project of building a new stadium could also be building a new hotel or two... Hell, they built a new Single-A baseball stadium here a couple years ago and the project included a new hotel right next to the stadium, along with an apartment complex that is just behind the stadium's outfield wall. if they can do that sort of thing for a Single-A baseball team, I'm sure they'd come up with something for an NFL franchise.

-Bill

Comment

• Ed
        • Sep 2002

I've always hated domes too, but the reality is that if a dome would attract more casual fans/businesses and make Buffalo more appealing to free agents, then that can only be good for the Bills. There just aren't enough hardcore fans to justify forcing fans to be miserable and fans can still be hardcore by tailgating in brutal weather. Plus, a dome would make for a louder stadium, which is probably more of a home field advantage at this point than weather.

I'd rather see the Bills in a dome than no Bills at all.

Comment

• Crisis
          • Aug 2004

I'd rather watch the Bills lose under a roof in buffalo than lose in LA.
          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
          Vanek is Austrian not European
          Originally posted by Prov401
          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
          Originally posted by better days
          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
            There was a time when I was dead set against the idea of a dome, but times have changed. While I love football being played in the elements, the reasons to play inside have begun to outweigh the positives of playing in the elements, most of which have already been discussed - more events, more revenue, more seats filled at games, etc. For the Bills to stay in the region long-term, this really has to happen, and it could be a huge boost for the area even outside of sporting events. I look at the development of Baltimore's Inner Harbor as a good example of how some improvements to a city center, including sports facilities, convention centers, and tourist destinations can really be a catalyst for growth in other area businesses, both big and small.
            Couldn't agree more. I hate the idea of a dome on an idealistic level, but on a pragmatic level, it just makes so much more sense.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
              • Sep 2003

100% in favor of a dome. Don't even bother on a retractable one. I heard from someone that RWS is built to allow a room to be added.

PTR
              10 Commandments of the D
              1. Never stop Rocking.
              2. Legalize all drugs.
              3. Quit your day job.
              4. All Religion should be taxed.
              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
              6. F**k her gently.
              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

i can't imagine a roof on the ralph. the endzones are lower than the sides. and the point of having a roof is to rebuild buffalo, not a suburb.

a retractable roof would be good for empire state games, and those junior varsity olympics we had back in 1993.

a superbowl isn't going to want to have hotels 60-90 minutes away to accomodate most people. the region would need to be in the middle of a renaissance for them to even consider it.

Comment

• Ed
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by IAG View Post
                  The weather is our niche. It is our home field advantage.
                  How much of an advantage is it if most of our players grew up in the South or out West? It's not like we're a team of locals playing a bunch of Floridians or Texans.

Plus, what advantage does bad weather give you if you have a weak-armed QB and a defense that can't stop the run?

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

The noise factor in a dome presents it's own advantages to a home field advantage too.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                      • Jan 2010

cold games are not an advantage. Put up a dome and sell out games all year

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Two points:

1) If we build a retractable dome, there is absolutely no chance on Earth that they open it to let a blizzard in. If you go dome, you're committing to a dome all the way.

2) Buffalo is not hosting a Super Bowl, regardless of whether we build a new stadium. Indy hosted the Super Bowl with only 6,000 rooms, but the result was a price-gouge fiesta (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...is_hotels.html) The media loved Indy because, guess what, the media gets preferential treatment and have expense accounts. The rest of the fans got completely hosed. They would need to host other events in there to justify the cost IMO.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03 View Post
                          You don't build a new stadium without a dome. One of the major factors of us building a new stadium, would be the idea of it bringing a super bowl to the city. That would ever happen with an open air stadium. And OP is right, don't bother putting on a retractable roof, it will be closed any time there is the slight chance of inclement weather.
                          If u spent all the money in the world on a new stadium they will never have a Super Bowl in Buffalo...
                          Where would people stay???
                          GO Gators!!!!!!
                          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03 View Post
                            You don't build a new stadium without a dome. One of the major factors of us building a new stadium, would be the idea of it bringing a super bowl to the city. That would ever happen with an open air stadium. And OP is right, don't bother putting on a retractable roof, it will be closed any time there is the slight chance of inclement weather.
                            we'd never get a superbowl even with a dome.

Not enough hotel room (Jacksonville has the same problem, but they fixed it with cruise ships a solution which is impossible with lake Erie frozen, and even still the league said "never again" after that experience), and the weather in winter is too harsh for the rich people who come to the superbowl to party. They tried this once with Minneapolis, and the league said "never again"
                            Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                              we'd never get a superbowl even with a dome.

Not enough hotel room (Jacksonville has the same problem, but they fixed it with cruise ships a solution which is impossible with lake Erie frozen, and even still the league said "never again" after that experience), and the weather in winter is too harsh for the rich people who come to the superbowl to party. They tried this once with Minneapolis, and the league said "never again"
                              Wasn't Detroit a rather successful event utilizing both Detroit and Windsor?
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                                Dances With Buffaloes
                                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                                Wasn't Detroit a rather successful event utilizing both Detroit and Windsor?
                                Detroit metro is like x5 the size of buffalo metro... and x2 times the size of Minneapolis metro... they also are a convention city with lots of huge indoor areas to hold parties. that said, have they scheduled a return trip to Detroit or Indianapolis?

Would you build a dome in buffalo on the slight chance the NFL gives us 1 single Superbowl to hold in it? I'd rather we build a downtown state-of-the-art natural grass open air stadium.
                                Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM.
                                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡