Thread: Bills Defense currently 5th in Sacks. 14th against the run.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills Defense currently 5th in Sacks. 14th against the run.

3 weeks into the season improvements to the defensive line are already starting to bear fruit. One of the question marks going into the Browns game is whether the Bills defense could stop Trent Richardson. After holding him to a very humbling 27 yards on 12 carries, a 2.2 yard per carry average, I think they answered that question in a big way. The Bills overall held the Browns to just 33 yards rushing, vaulting them from the bottom half of the league against the run to 14th overall.

They have been phenomenal in the sacks department. This team doesn't blitz much, in fact I don't remember an instance where the Bills have even sent a blitz package against a team this year. Of course you could say that the Kelvin Sheppard sack against the Chiefs may be an instance of that. But the point being, with a team that doesn't put many blitz packages together, the Bills are doing a very good job of getting to the QB, and is a testament to the improvement of the defensive front. Currently ranked 5th in the NFL with 9 sacks through 3 games, only the Bears, Cardinals, Bengals, and Packers are better through the first 3 games. That's pretty good company to be in, and a big improvement from last year at this time with 2 sacks through the first 3 games for the Bills in 2011 when they went 3-0.

What do you think of the defensive line so far?
    As for me, I'm impressed so far. Yeah, our 100 million dollar DE hasn't done a lot, but overall the improvements have been very noticeable at least to me early. JMO Go Bills

Thanks
    Thanked 26,213 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Defense currently 5th in Sacks. 14th against the run.

Definite improvement, but they should be more consistent for the money that was spent.

3. Post thanked by:

blackonyx89 (09-24-2012),Extremebillsfan247 (09-24-2012),Skooby (09-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Definite improvement, but they should be more consistent for the money that was spent.
    I'm gonna chalk it up to new scheme and new personnel getting used to each other. By the midway point of the season and this team isn't putting consistent pressure on the QB then we should be worried. The last 2 games we have what 10 sacks.........9 from our dline I believe........thats pretty damn good!
    You can call me streetkings

5. Post thanked by:

Extremebillsfan247 (09-24-2012),jmb1099 (09-24-2012),mysticsoto (09-24-2012),Night Train (09-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

it's not just the sacks. It's the tackles for a loss too, they've had tons of those. Any play that goes for negative yards is such a drive killer.

7. Post thanked by:

cookie G (09-24-2012),mysticsoto (09-24-2012),The last buffalo fan (09-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I there ahead of what I expected with the new players / scheme, now we need them to crush Brady all next Sunday.

Will not tolerate vandalism. Johnny Bugmenot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The problem with signing a defensive front-seven player for a huge amount of money is that he instantly becomes a target. While that can be used very effectively to free up other, less glamorous players, it reflects very poorly on the high-budget player's stats. We saw that last year with Shawne Merriman when he was healthy-- a disruptive force, yes, but not a lot of statistics because he was always being double-teamed. When he went down, his absence was felt.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

big deal. We haven't knocked any qb out of the game. Hopefully this sunday will be the 1st.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebillsfan247 View Post
    This team doesn't blitz much, in fact I don't remember an instance where the Bills have even sent a blitz package against a team this year.
    They send linebackers, but not very often.

Improvement against the run is apparent, but they need to find a way to cover receivers against skilled quarterbacks.

Sanchez carved them up good, but it was the first game of the season. Since I'm used to the Bills taking preseason into October, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt there.

Cassel is much better and I give the defense credit for that game.

Weeden is not likely to ever be a very good quarterback and he's definitely not one now so let's enjoy yesterday but admit it wasn't much of a test. However, when the defense was needed most, they came up big with some good ball by Williams, a few timely picks late, and another shoulda pick by Byrd overturned by a questionable call.

Overall, it's too early to say. Are they gelling or has the competition tailed off the last two weeks? OR both? This weekend will tell for sure. If the defense can contain Brady, you'll know they are good.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    I'm gonna chalk it up to new scheme and new personnel getting used to each other. By the midway point of the season and this team isn't putting consistent pressure on the QB then we should be worried. The last 2 games we have what 10 sacks.........9 from our dline I believe........thats pretty damn good!
    Still not getting pressure........we can now worry.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Should update the thread every week. Now it should read 16th in sacks and 32nd against the run.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Scoring #31.

- - - Updated - - -

Total yards. #31
    Passing yards #21

15. Post thanked by:

EDS (11-14-2012)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

3 and 6 speaks for itself. 285 points given up, tops in the league so far.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bugmenot View Post
    The problem with signing a defensive front-seven player for a huge amount of money is that he instantly becomes a target. While that can be used very effectively to free up other, less glamorous players, it reflects very poorly on the high-budget player's stats. We saw that last year with Shawne Merriman when he was healthy-- a disruptive force, yes, but not a lot of statistics because he was always being double-teamed. When he went down, his absence was felt.
    I know what you mean. Heck Bruce Smith & Reggie White could have had like 350 sacks each
    Please Make Sense