Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dome Stadium in Buffalo

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Dome Stadium in Buffalo

100% in favor of a dome. Don't even bother on a retractable one. I heard from someone that RWS is built to allow a room to be added.

PTR
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i can't imagine a roof on the ralph. the endzones are lower than the sides. and the point of having a roof is to rebuild buffalo, not a suburb.

a retractable roof would be good for empire state games, and those junior varsity olympics we had back in 1993.

a superbowl isn't going to want to have hotels 60-90 minutes away to accomodate most people. the region would need to be in the middle of a renaissance for them to even consider it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IAG View Post
    The weather is our niche. It is our home field advantage.
    How much of an advantage is it if most of our players grew up in the South or out West? It's not like we're a team of locals playing a bunch of Floridians or Texans.

Plus, what advantage does bad weather give you if you have a weak-armed QB and a defense that can't stop the run?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The noise factor in a dome presents it's own advantages to a home field advantage too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

cold games are not an advantage. Put up a dome and sell out games all year

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Two points:

1) If we build a retractable dome, there is absolutely no chance on Earth that they open it to let a blizzard in. If you go dome, you're committing to a dome all the way.

2) Buffalo is not hosting a Super Bowl, regardless of whether we build a new stadium. Indy hosted the Super Bowl with only 6,000 rooms, but the result was a price-gouge fiesta (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...is_hotels.html) The media loved Indy because, guess what, the media gets preferential treatment and have expense accounts. The rest of the fans got completely hosed. They would need to host other events in there to justify the cost IMO.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ZAZusmc03 View Post
    You don't build a new stadium without a dome. One of the major factors of us building a new stadium, would be the idea of it bringing a super bowl to the city. That would ever happen with an open air stadium. And OP is right, don't bother putting on a retractable roof, it will be closed any time there is the slight chance of inclement weather.
    If u spent all the money in the world on a new stadium they will never have a Super Bowl in Buffalo...
    Where would people stay???
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ZAZusmc03 View Post
    You don't build a new stadium without a dome. One of the major factors of us building a new stadium, would be the idea of it bringing a super bowl to the city. That would ever happen with an open air stadium. And OP is right, don't bother putting on a retractable roof, it will be closed any time there is the slight chance of inclement weather.
    we'd never get a superbowl even with a dome.

Not enough hotel room (Jacksonville has the same problem, but they fixed it with cruise ships a solution which is impossible with lake Erie frozen, and even still the league said "never again" after that experience), and the weather in winter is too harsh for the rich people who come to the superbowl to party. They tried this once with Minneapolis, and the league said "never again"
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-13-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,426 Times in 14,145 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    we'd never get a superbowl even with a dome.

Not enough hotel room (Jacksonville has the same problem, but they fixed it with cruise ships a solution which is impossible with lake Erie frozen, and even still the league said "never again" after that experience), and the weather in winter is too harsh for the rich people who come to the superbowl to party. They tried this once with Minneapolis, and the league said "never again"
    Wasn't Detroit a rather successful event utilizing both Detroit and Windsor?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Wasn't Detroit a rather successful event utilizing both Detroit and Windsor?
    Detroit metro is like x5 the size of buffalo metro... and x2 times the size of Minneapolis metro... they also are a convention city with lots of huge indoor areas to hold parties. that said, have they scheduled a return trip to Detroit or Indianapolis?

Would you build a dome in buffalo on the slight chance the NFL gives us 1 single Superbowl to hold in it? I'd rather we build a downtown state-of-the-art natural grass open air stadium.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.

11. Post thanked by:

Mski (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,426 Times in 14,145 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Detroit metro is like x5 the size of buffalo metro... and x2 times the size of Minneapolis metro... they also are a convention city with lots of huge indoor areas to hold parties. that said, have they scheduled a return trip to Detroit or Indianapolis?

Would you build a dome in buffalo on the slight chance the NFL gives us 1 single Superbowl to hold in it? I'd rather we build a downtown state-of-the-art natural grass open air stadium.
    Id build the dome with no chance for the superbowl. Too much lost potential revenue from an open air site in a place like Buffalo that could use large convention/concert space.

13. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If that whole Niagara Falls Stadium plan happened, I could see a SB coming to the area. No way would it happen in Buffalo ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

IMO it would be foolish to build any stadium in the City of Buffalo. A stadium should be built between Buffalo & Rochester with easy access for Canadians as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    IMO it would be foolish to build any stadium in the City of Buffalo. A stadium should be built between Buffalo & Rochester with easy access for Canadians as well.

appearantly you arent familiar with the area... you can have one or the other, but not both... a stadium in the batavia area, or something with easy access to the canadians
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I bet it would help selling ticket to December games regardless of our record.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mski View Post
    appearantly you arent familiar with the area... you can have one or the other, but not both... a stadium in the batavia area, or something with easy access to the canadians
    What are you talking about? I think Batavia would be an easier trip for Canadians than going to the Ralph in OP. I said easy access for Canadians, I did not say it would be as close as Downtown.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the Ralph is less than a mile from the thruway, and doesnt require a toll to get through. Batavia does have its own thruway exit, but there isnt any real estate for a stadium that close to the exit, also the I90 is only 2 lanes east-west from the williamsville tolls-east, and the toll barriers cant handle rush hour traffic, let alone 60k+ to get to a game...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the Ralph is less than a mile from the thruway, and doesnt require a toll to get through. Batavia does have its own thruway exit, but there isnt any real estate for a stadium that close to the exit, also the I90 is only 2 lanes east-west from the williamsville tolls-east, and the toll barriers cant handle rush hour traffic, let alone 60k+ to get to a game...
    New exits can be built & lanes added as well. It is done all the time in Fla. on I4 & I75. Part of the new Stadium cost & more jobs as well for the economy. If the Road can't handle rush hour traffic now, sounds like a good plan to add lanes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Batavia brings nothing to the bills that they don't already have. Niagara Falls is the only alternative i would accept other then Downtown.

22. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Have you ever been to Batavia? There is acre after acre of farm fields if you take a right off the exit.