X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Re: TJ Graham had never run that option route before this past Sunday

I blame the coaching staff for not having the team ready. Sorry, but Graham has had the play book for how long and it's up to the coaching staff make sure they know it. If the players do not know it then don't call the play. It is very rare that you hear the excuses of running the wrong route as the reason good coached teams lose. They have their team ready.

Comment

• jlgarsh
      • Jan 2010

Shouldn't a team that's had the same offensive scheme, (with almost the same players) for the past 3 years know what their most successful plays are in that situation? That play should never have been called, especially if the rookie WR has never even practiced it!!! I also disklike the fact that Fitz threw to the endzone so quickly...They could still have had 1st and goal if they stuck to the sideline passing...

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
        of course. it was so obvious that it wasn't real. and no one is talking about this. it was clear as day. i have patriot friends in the office who are like, "those were ridiculous calls"
        Yes but you're forgetting the obvious. The Bills did in fact commit penalties on those plays, it just should of been illegal contact or defensive holding instead of DPI.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
          Here's a the All-22 shot of the last play.

Not the best quality, safety on Steve's side moves away after Fitz releases the ball, so Steve wasn't wide open as some claim, would have been a tight throw.

CJ and TJ were the only two options, and like I said on Sunday, I still don't understand why they put a rookie in that situation. Element of surprise, more like element of stupidity.
          Here's the thing though...assume TJ makes the cut, McCourty is still sitting right in the middle and will break on the ball. We assume the right cut equals success but that All-22 does not support that. The best route would of been a corner route since the CB was slow to drop in what appeared to be Quarters Coverage. That would be a throw towards the bottom corner to Graham.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Losing the time outs really hurt, and were a factor (minor, but obviously in hindsight with SJ's tweets a factor nonetheless). Haven't had time to catch up on other threads yet, but does this finally cement the fact that Graham ran the wrong route?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Losing the time outs really hurt, and were a factor (minor, but obviously in hindsight with SJ's tweets a factor nonetheless). Haven't had time to catch up on other threads yet, but does this finally cement the fact that Graham ran the wrong route?
              Never much of a doubt, still a bad read on the QB. You gotta ID the DB squatting in the middle and come off that read. Even with a proper route Im not sure he could of completed that pass.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                Here's the thing though...assume TJ makes the cut, McCourty is still sitting right in the middle and will break on the ball. We assume the right cut equals success but that All-22 does not support that. The best route would of been a corner route since the CB was slow to drop in what appeared to be Quarters Coverage. That would be a throw towards the bottom corner to Graham.
                Obviously the corner route isn't an option the way Gailey has it designed, and it's tough to argue with the design considering how 'money' it has been for the team in the past.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Obviously the corner route isn't an option the way Gailey has it designed, and it's tough to argue with the design considering how 'money' it has been for the team in the past.
                  Not arguing design, arguing execution. We can all agree Graham runs the wrong route, but we can't all agree Fitz has to see the DB in the middle of the field?
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Never much of a doubt, still a bad read on the QB. You gotta ID the DB squatting in the middle and come off that read. Even with a proper route Im not sure he could of completed that pass.
                    That's why you throw it right at the DB...a lot tougher to defend when the wide receiver has inside position, between you and the ball. This pass has been completed a hundred times over Gailey's tenure, and the probability of it being successful again goes up immensely with the right route. It certainly wasn't the best pass, and the slight inaccuracy would've made it a more difficult catch than it shouldn't been, I'll grant that much.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

That's why you throw it right at the DB...a lot tougher to defend when the wide receiver has inside position, between you and the ball. This pass has been completed a hundred times over Gailey's tenure, and the probability of it being successful again goes up immensely with the right route. It certainly wasn't the best pass, and the slight inaccuracy would've made it a more difficult catch than it shouldn't been, I'll grant that much.
                      The DB is going to break on release, look at the All-22 pic there is little movement the DB has to make to get to the ball where as Graham had nearly 7 yards. I know the kid is fast, but he isn't that fast. I fully believe McCourty still easily undercuts that route.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                        • Sep 2009

Don't think he undercuts it, but TJ doesn't have the body to shield the safety/McCourty from breaking it up. If David Nelson is running that post, and I'm Fitz, I make the same decision because Nelson can body him up/shield the defender. TJ isn't going to do that. A guy like Vincent Jackson on that route, is going to go up and pluck it, but we don't have VJ or anyone like that. Big body receiver that can go up and high point the ball in traffic.

Really don't think it's a concept/play issue, misuse/wrong personnel if you ask me.
                        Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Even if TJ undercuts the route putting him in front of McCourty, he has no chance at catching the ball. No one mentions this, they just blame TJ for running the wrong route.

McCourty JUMPED to make the interception. It's not like it was gift wrapped into his chest.

TJ is 5'11" with a 33" vertical. McCourty is 5'10" with a 36" vertical. McCourty basically caught the ball at the top of his jump...so even if TJ undercuts him placing himself maybe at the goaline or 2 yards out as some of have suggested, he doesn't get to the ball.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Bills 3-6 for a reason.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

The DB is going to break on release, look at the All-22 pic there is little movement the DB has to make to get to the ball where as Graham had nearly 7 yards. I know the kid is fast, but he isn't that fast. I fully believe McCourty still easily undercuts that route.
                              Compare the All-22 to the other pic where Graham is already behind the defender and the ball is being picked. If TJ had enough time to get that deep, he certainly had enough time to front the DB.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                                Well, lookie here...
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                                Even if TJ undercuts the route putting him in front of McCourty, he has no chance at catching the ball. No one mentions this, they just blame TJ for running the wrong route.

McCourty JUMPED to make the interception. It's not like it was gift wrapped into his chest.

TJ is 5'11" with a 33" vertical. McCourty is 5'10" with a 36" vertical. McCourty basically caught the ball at the top of his jump...so even if TJ undercuts him placing himself maybe at the goaline or 2 yards out as some of have suggested, he doesn't get to the ball.

He would have had a chance, but as I stated previously the throw would've made the catch more difficult than it should have been.
                                YardRat Wall of Fame
                                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍