Thread: Bettman should be fired immediately

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bettman should be fired immediately

BETTMAN SUGGESTS TO NHLPA SIDES TAKE A BREAK IN NEGOTIATIONS

TORONTO -- After a lockout spanning almost nine weeks, the only thing the NHL and NHL Players' Association are talking about is taking a break.

Commissioner Gary Bettman has suggested placing a two-week moratorium on stalled collective bargaining negotiations, multiple sources told The Canadian Press on Thursday night. The offer came after Bettman received a phone call from Donald Fehr on Wednesday in which the NHLPA executive director said he didn't know how the sides could proceed from their current stalemate.

Rather than providing an immediate answer, Fehr told Bettman he would need to bounce the idea off his membership before responding. The union has repeatedly taken the position that it would prefer to meet rather than having breaks during the labour dispute -- and suggested again Thursday it will continue to favour that position.

If this doesn't change the owners minds that Bettman should be fired, I don't know what does.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,168 Times in 13,657 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bettman should be fired immediately

Here's the problem though: Bettman probably did that because the owners WANTED him to.

The owners are still getting their TV money during the lockout, and they firmly believe that any money lost will be made up in 3-4 years if they get the deal they want. They have no real motivation to come to an agreement soon, other than not pissing off the fans. I miss hockey- and I'm REALLY going to miss it in two weeks when college football ends and the weekly Bills travesty is the only sports I watch- but I think we have to come to terms with the fact that this season is lost. Bettman's a buffoon but he makes the owners money and that's all they care about.

3. Post thanked by:

Michael82 (11-16-2012)

Will not tolerate vandalism. Johnny Bugmenot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Here's the problem though: Bettman probably did that because the owners WANTED him to.

The owners are still getting their TV money during the lockout, and they firmly believe that any money lost will be made up in 3-4 years if they get the deal they want. They have no real motivation to come to an agreement soon, other than not pissing off the fans. I miss hockey- and I'm REALLY going to miss it in two weeks when college football ends and the weekly Bills travesty is the only sports I watch- but I think we have to come to terms with the fact that this season is lost. Bettman's a buffoon but he makes the owners money and that's all they care about.
    It helps that their TV partner-- Comcast-- is also one of the owners.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,404 Times in 14,132 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bingo.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

6. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and for a few of the team's they're actually operating in the black for the first time in years. If there's any indication that Bettman should be fired, its because this isnt the only work stoppage under his tenure, i dont know certain, but i believe there has actually been a work stoppage at the end of every single CBA he has helpped negotiate
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Thanks
    Thanked 26,168 Times in 13,657 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mski View Post
    and for a few of the team's they're actually operating in the black for the first time in years. If there's any indication that Bettman should be fired, its because this isnt the only work stoppage under his tenure, i dont know certain, but i believe there has actually been a work stoppage at the end of every single CBA he has helpped negotiate
    You are correct. The man is 3 for 3. There was the one in '94 that resulted in a 48 game season, the one in '03 that cost them the whole season and now, where we will be lucky to get any games at all.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 4,858 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Depending on how long this mess lasts, don't be surprised to see another league try to get formed.

Hell, that's how the NHL was formed back in the day.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/...re-gameon.html
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Will not tolerate vandalism. Johnny Bugmenot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Depending on how long this mess lasts, don't be surprised to see another league try to get formed.

I'd love to see it happen (and certainly Pegula loves hockey enough that he'd be willing to get involved), but they'd have to wrest control of the Stanley Cup away from Bettman to do that. The league made a deal with the trustees to never award it to any non-NHL team back in the '40s, so unless the NHL outright folds, any competitor league would pale in comparison.

The other problem is that startup sports leagues are NOTORIOUS for their poor financial situation. The NHL knows this. That's why you haven't seen any real efforts to start one outside of football since the 1970s.

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post

So a new league will start where the owners will set players salaries, contract terms, no guaranteed contracts, salary cap restrictions, etc. That sounds exactly the opposite of that the players are fighting for.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think this is a genius move by Bettman. He floats it out there that they are going nowhere with the NHLPA and that they are in no hurry to get a deal done, even as far as floating it out there that more games cancelled, even the season. They have told the NHLPA that in order for a deal to get done they have to work off of their proposal and the NHLPA gives five offers that are all basically the same and are just waisting time. If the players panic, lockout over. If the players don't, status quo.
    Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 11-18-2012 at 03:59 AM.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,536 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well I have never heard of a business giving employees a bigger share of the pie. The owners take the risks and spend the big bucks, while the players do what? Play a game and live huge? Both sides need a pox on thier houses, but the players IMO are in the wrong. If the owners investment fails , he loses, the player takes his fat contract to another team. And I notice the news still uses a old pic of the player reps standing behind thier man, except most of those players are gone to europe. Time for the players to smarten up. Owners are owners ,players are employees.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Well I have never heard of a business giving employees a bigger share of the pie. The owners take the risks and spend the big bucks, while the players do what? Play a game and live huge? Both sides need a pox on thier houses, but the players IMO are in the wrong. If the owners investment fails , he loses, the player takes his fat contract to another team. And I notice the news still uses a old pic of the player reps standing behind thier man, except most of those players are gone to europe. Time for the players to smarten up. Owners are owners ,players are employees.
    Yea that whole taking years off their life thing due to violent collisions and injuries is no big deal.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Yea that whole taking years off their life thing due to violent collisions and injuries is no big deal.
    I would almost guarantee that not one of those players has a gun to their head to play in the NHL. I am not 100% on this but I think they can go and pursue whatever career they want.

16. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (11-20-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bugmenot View Post
    ....but they'd have to wrest control of the Stanley Cup away from Bettman to do that. The league made a deal with the trustees to never award it to any non-NHL team back in the '40s, so unless the NHL outright folds, any competitor league would pale in comparison.
    i dont believe that its a binding contract between the Lord Stanley trustees and the League or just a verbal agreement... there was alot of speculation about this last lockout, the Cup is supposed to be awarded to the "best hockey team in the world" once every year. the speculation being that they could have given it to a KHL or OHL, or any other league during the last lock out, and the reason it wasnt awarded to a KHL team was because the trustees didnt believe they'd be able to get it back if they did

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostofJimKelly View Post
    I would almost guarantee that not one of those players has a gun to their head to play in the NHL. I am not 100% on this but I think they can go and pursue whatever career they want.
    You sure about that? You're talking about many kids who don't even attend college, you really think they can make a career with their basic HS diploma or GED?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bettman is just a puppet. The Owners have 2 camps going, the rich and the poor. That's the problem.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    You sure about that? You're talking about many kids who don't even attend college, you really think they can make a career with their basic HS diploma or GED?
    Absolutely, both countries are "free", any one of the players can try to get a job doing whatever they want. Not saying that they can get that job, but they don't have to play in the NHL

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostofJimKelly View Post
    Absolutely, both countries are "free", any one of the players can try to get a job doing whatever they want. Not saying that they can get that job, but they don't have to play in the NHL
    Yes but you're advocating a player simply stop doing what in some cases is the only thing they know. So they go from making millions to making just above minimum wage? Not really sure that's an option for guys who have families, kids, and other bills (house(s), cars, etc.).

So yes they almost do.

22. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-25-2012)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 4,858 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Bettman is just a puppet. The Owners have 2 camps going, the rich and the poor. That's the problem.
    And, sadly, Buffalo's in the latter. I have to presume that Pegs, deep down, just wants to see hockey-even if he, like every other owner, voted for the lockout.