Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: nfl u pathetic ****s

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: nfl u pathetic ****s

One thing we should all agree on is that Byrd is our best defensive player by far and probably the only playmaker we have on defense. We can't afford to let him go after this season.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    The whistle is actually just a notification to the players to stop. If the referee has determined the play is over earlier than that's how he will spot the ball.
    My understanding is the play is live until the whistle blows. Hence the term "play until you hear the whistle." If that is not the case, please tell us the rule # & what the rule says exactly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    That is why they hesitate to blow the whistle...because people stop playing when the whistle blows and if a reviewable situation arises the whistle will influence the outcome.
    This is nonsense. For years, players have been told to play until you hear the whistle. After the whistle blows, the play can & in a case like this was SHOULD be reviewed.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    They didn't huddle up afterwards because they didn't have to. The ref closest to the play ruled that his progress had stopped. None of the other refs disagreed, so that was the ruling.
    Like I said, blown call. He lost possession of the ball before forward progress had stopped. Heck, a few years ago, wasn't it the Patriots that were ripping the ball out of the hands of one of the Bills as he was being driven backwards. Wayne was still pushing forward. Blown call.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Like I said, blown call. He lost possession of the ball before forward progress had stopped. Heck, a few years ago, wasn't it the Patriots that were ripping the ball out of the hands of one of the Bills as he was being driven backwards. Wayne was still pushing forward. Blown call.
    Oh, well I guess I wasn't understanding your argument. Yeah, blown call fine. The way it was called though, they can't review it. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    My understanding is the play is live until the whistle blows. Hence the term "play until you hear the whistle." If that is not the case, please tell us the rule # & what the rule says exactly.
    Section 2 Dead Ball
    Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
    (a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and touches the ground with any part of his body other than his
    hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner touching the ground with his
    hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to advance; or
    Note: If, after defensive contact, any part of a runner’s leg above the ankle or any part of his arm above the wrist touches the
    ground, the runner is down.
    (b) when a runner is held or otherwise restrained so that his forward progress ends; or

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...all_Scrimm.pdf

7. Post thanked by:

better days (11-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Section 2 Dead Ball
    Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
    (a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and touches the ground with any part of his body other than his
    hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner touching the ground with his
    hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to advance; or
    Note: If, after defensive contact, any part of a runner’s leg above the ankle or any part of his arm above the wrist touches the
    ground, the runner is down.
    (b) when a runner is held or otherwise restrained so that his forward progress ends; or

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...all_Scrimm.pdf
    Well, there you go, the play was not dead & should have been reviewed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, there you go, the play was not dead & should have been reviewed.
    Well the point is that a whistle doesn't have to be blown in order to rule a player down. Whether it's a blown call or not...whatever. Since he was ruled down by forward progress, it is not reviewable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well the point is that a whistle doesn't have to be blown in order to rule a player down. Whether it's a blown call or not...whatever. Since he was ruled down by forward progress, it is not reviewable.
    No, the play was still LIVE. Should have been reviewed. If the officials thought his progress was stopped, the whistle should have been blown at that time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who's to say when the official ruled him down by forward progress? Do you have some video of this? Heck, the officiating crew would have to the peripheral vision of a hammerhead and Jehovah frickin' omniscience to declare outright that the ball came out an instant after some dope made a signal. The wrong signal.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who's to say when the official ruled him down by forward progress? Do you have some video of this? Heck, the officiating crew would have to the peripheral vision of a hammerhead and Jehovah frickin' omniscience to declare outright that the ball came out an instant after some dope made a signal. The wrong signal.
    It doesn't matter WHEN he ruled his forward progress stopped, it only matters that he DID rule his forward progress stopped. Jesus, what do you want from me?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It doesn't matter WHEN he ruled his forward progress stopped, it only matters that he DID rule his forward progress stopped. Jesus, what do you want from me?
    I'm trying to figure out why you're saying the play was not reviewable.

Sorry that post before sounded like I was going off on you. It was just the thought of that damned call getting my dander up. Not you.
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-27-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I want nothing from you. The FACT is, a play is LIVE until the whistle blows. If a ref determines a players forward progress is stopped, he is supposed to blow the whistle. until that time, the play is live.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm trying to figure out why you're saying the play was not reviewable.

Sorry that post before sounded like I was going off on you. It was just the thought of that damned call getting my dander up. Not you.
    Haha, no worries man. This is the internet. Maybe this helps..

Note: Non-reviewable plays include but are not limited to:
    1. Status of the clock
    2. Proper down
    3. Penalty administration
    4. Runner ruled down by defensive contact (not involving fumbles)
    5. Forward progress not relating to first down or goal line
    6. Recovery of a loose ball that does not involve a boundary line or the end zone.
    7. Field-goal or Try attempts that cross above either upright without touching anything.
    8. Inadvertent Whistle

http://foaofficials.com/images/rules...able-Plays.pdf

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Haha, no worries man. This is the internet. Maybe this helps..

Note: Non-reviewable plays include but are not limited to:
    1. Status of the clock
    2. Proper down
    3. Penalty administration
    4. Runner ruled down by defensive contact (not involving fumbles)
    5. Forward progress not relating to first down or goal line
    6. Recovery of a loose ball that does not involve a boundary line or the end zone.
    7. Field-goal or Try attempts that cross above either upright without touching anything.
    8. Inadvertent Whistle

http://foaofficials.com/images/rules...able-Plays.pdf
    What you fail to grasp is that when an official determines forward progress has stopped, he is SUPPOSED TO BLOW HIS WHISTLE. Until that time, the play is LIVE.

Had the whistle been blown BEFORE the fumble, it would not be reviewable. However it was not, therefore the play was LIVE & reviewable.
    Last edited by better days; 11-27-2012 at 03:19 PM.

17. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What you fail to grasp is that when an official determines forward progress has stopped, he is SUPPOSED TO BLOW HIS WHISTLE. Until that time, the play is LIVE.

Had the whistle been blown BEFORE the fumble, it would not be reviewable. However it was not, therefore the play was LIVE & reviewable.
    Not true, and I've already said this.

A referee can let the play continue on, especially in the case of a fumble, and then go back and make a decision on whether or not the fumble was legit. They started doing this recently after too many cases of real fumbles were ruled no fumbles because the refs blew their whistle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not true, and I've already said this.

A referee can let the play continue on, especially in the case of a fumble, and then go back and make a decision on whether or not the fumble was legit. They started doing this recently after too many cases of real fumbles were ruled no fumbles because the refs blew their whistle.
    This is exactly my point. IF the whistle had been blown BEFORE the fumble, it could not be reviewed because the whistle had been blown & the play was then DEAD.

A play is LIVE until the whistle blows PERIOD. If a player is found to be down lets say after REVIEW, the call can be changed, but there is NOTHING that says that play can not be reviewed. And this was a REAL FUMBLE.
    Last edited by better days; 11-27-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A play is LIVE until the whistle blows PERIOD. If a player is found to be down lets say after REVIEW, the call can be changed, but there is NOTHING that says that play can not be reviewed. And this was a REAL FUMBLE.
    The whistle must be blown within how many micro seconds of him ruling a player down?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The whistle must be blown within how many micro seconds of him ruling a player down?
    Whatever, the play is LIVE until the whisle blows. You made my point in you post #37. The fumble was REAL & the whistle was not blown.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whatever, the play is LIVE until the whisle blows. You made my point in you post #37. The fumble was REAL & the whistle was not blown.
    I'm not saying the fumble wasn't legit, I think it should've been a fumble honestly. But with the ruling they made, there was nothing Buffalo could've done about it.