• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gebobs
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
    • Sep 2003

Re: nfl u pathetic ****s

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    So what happens when a a player runs out of bounds, but then is hit late and the whistle wasn't blown yet?
    True enough. But that's not the case here.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Sure.

You are WRONG. Otherwise why would refs not blow the whistle as you said in post #37? Upon further review, does anyone have any doubt that if the same situation occurred with the Pats* on defense that the play would be reviewed & the Pats* given the ball?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
        You are WRONG. Otherwise why would refs not blow the whistle as you said in post #37? Upon further review, does anyone have any doubt that if the same situation occurred with the Pats* on defense that the play would be reviewed & the Pats* given the ball?
        I'm not wrong.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I'm not wrong.
          Strong argument there. Way to contradict yourself (post #37)

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Strong argument there. Way to contradict yourself (post #37)
            Post #37 is your post..

I'm the only one who's provided links to actual NFL rules. Plus the refs that get paid to do this stuff agree with me, so I guess that's all I need.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Not true, and I've already said this.

A referee can let the play continue on, especially in the case of a fumble, and then go back and make a decision on whether or not the fumble was legit. They started doing this recently after too many cases of real fumbles were ruled no fumbles because the refs blew their whistle.
              My mistake your post was #36. READ IT, you have contradicted yourself. The reason Refs don't want to blow the whistle too soon is that the play is then dead & fumbles can't be reviewed. Until the whistle blows, plays are LIVE.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

My mistake your post was #36. READ IT, you have contradicted yourself. The reason Refs don't want to blow the whistle too soon is that the play is then dead & fumbles can't be reviewed. Until the whistle blows, plays are LIVE.
                Right, but after such a play they can rule that the play was ended before the questionable event happened. If they do that, and they rule that his forward progress was stopped, nothing else matters...he's down and you can't review it.

The whistle ends a play, but a play is not always ended by a whistle.

They made a bad call, at least in my mind, but the way they handled the call that was made was correct.

Comment

• gebobs
                  • Sep 2003

Right, but after such a play they can rule that the play was ended before the questionable event happened. If they do that, and they rule that his forward progress was stopped, nothing else matters...he's down and you can't review it.
                  And as far as anyone knows, they didn't. And if they did, they were wrong. If they did, it was a significant lapse of judgement. There's no way anyone could even claim that they are capable of making that call.

They made a bad call, at least in my mind, but the way they handled the call that was made was correct.
                  No it wasn't. They should have gone to review. That much is clear.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                    And as far as anyone knows, they didn't. And if they did, they were wrong. If they did, it was a significant lapse of judgement. There's no way anyone could even claim that they are capable of making that call.

No it wasn't. They should have gone to review. That much is clear.
                    I'm not trying to argue with you guys, just stating my thoughts. What was the exact call on the field? Was it that his forward progress was stopped? That's what I'm under the impression was called. If that's the call, it's not reviewable.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

I'm not trying to argue with you guys, just stating my thoughts. What was the exact call on the field? Was it that his forward progress was stopped? That's what I'm under the impression was called. If that's the call, it's not reviewable.
                      As I said before when forward progress is stopped, the ref that determines that is required to blow his whistle. Until the whistle is blown, the play is LIVE & reviewable.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

As I said before when forward progress is stopped, the ref that determines that is required to blow his whistle. Until the whistle is blown, the play is LIVE & reviewable.
                        Like I asked before, how many seconds does the ref have to blow the whistle after he determines that forward progress has stopped?

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Like I asked before, how many seconds does the ref have to blow the whistle after he determines that forward progress has stopped?
                          Why does that matter? The play is LIVE until the whistle is blown whenever it happens.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

Why does that matter? The play is LIVE until the whistle is blown whenever it happens.
                            I thought when a players knee was down after being contacted by a defender then the play is over. You mean it's not over until the whistle blows? He can keep rolling forward to pick up extra yards until the ref blows his whistle?

Comment

• gebobs
                              • Sep 2003

Even if they did call forward progress stopped, how the heck do they know the ball came out after they did and not before? They don't. They couldn't. Not possible. That's one of the reasons WHY you have review.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                                Making Spirits Bright
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                                Even if they did call forward progress stopped, how the heck do they know the ball came out after they did and not before? They don't. They couldn't. Not possible. That's one of the reasons WHY you have review.
                                They don't know for sure, they absolutely don't know. It SHOULD be a reviewable play...but by NFL rules, it is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X