• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: nfl u pathetic ****s

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    It's very relevant. There are plenty of plays in every NFL game that are over before a ref blows a whistle.
    Are you just saying that or do you have proof?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
      How many times are you going to ask this STUPID, IRRELEVENT question????????????????
      If you're going to use this whistle argument, you have to understand that human error is part of the game. Unless, of course, they specify some sort of tolerance on the maximum time it takes to blow the whistle. I'm unaware of such a rule.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

It's very relevant. There are plenty of plays in every NFL game that are over before a ref blows a whistle.
        List them all. It does not matter, the play in question is not one of them. And even if a play is over before the whistle is blown, how is the length of time before the whistle is blown relevent?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
          When a player touches the out of bounds line, the play is over.
          When a pass is incomplete and the ball hits the ground, the play is over.
          When a player is tackled to the ground by an opposing player, the play is over.

The whistle is then blow after these events, as an indicator. The whistle ALWAYS ends a play, however a play is NOT ALWAYS ended by a whistle.

Anyone who has played football should know this.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

List them all. It does not matter, the play in question is not one of them. And even if a play is over before the whistle is blown, how is the length of time before the whistle is blown relevent?
            As soon as a referee deems the player down by forward progress, the play is over. He then blows the whistle. The time between him making up his mind and him blowing the whistle is almost irrelevant.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
              If you're going to use this whistle argument, you have to understand that human error is part of the game. Unless, of course, they specify some sort of tolerance on the maximum time it takes to blow the whistle. I'm unaware of such a rule.
              There is no such rule, because it is irellevent.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

As soon as a referee deems the player down by forward progress, the play is over. He then blows the whistle. The time between him making up his mind and him blowing the whistle is almost irrelevant.
                Well, here is where you are WRONG & you yourself pointed out refs were reluctant to blow the whistle because of a possible fumble.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Well, here is where you are WRONG & you yourself pointed out refs were reluctant to blow the whistle because of a possible fumble.
                  Holy christ, even if they don't blow the whistle and let the play continue, IF they deem that he was down by forward progress AFTER the play, it is unreviewable by rule.

Comment

• gebobs
                    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                    • Sep 2003

That's a matter of opinion.
                    How so? Refs make calls. They blow calls. How is any conclusion more logical than the other?

The fact that the Colts called a timeout after the play, gave the Bills and the refs time to look at it, and they still didn't review it? If I were the Bills, I would've been screaming at the refs after my guys upstairs looked at the replay. The Bills seemed pretty OK with it.
                    First of all, the Bills had no recourse other than screaming. Second, our coach is a dumbass who probably doesn't even know to this point that the play was in question.

This is your defense? The refs and the Bills coaches never make mistakes? Let me guess. You think that Brett Hull's goal was legit.
                    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                      Neither of you have ever seen a play that was over and then a few seconds later a rapid fire blowing of the whistle? Seriously?

Next Sunday when the Bills play watch the game and see if you can hear a whistle after every play of the game. Actually pay attention for it.

You'll notice there will be at least a handful of plays where you won't hear a whistle or you'll hear the whistle well after the play is done.

Comment

• gebobs
                        • Sep 2003

Neither of you have ever seen a play that was over and then a few seconds later a rapid fire blowing of the whistle? Seriously?

Next Sunday when the Bills play watch the game and see if you can hear a whistle after every play of the game. Actually pay attention for it.

You'll notice there will be at least a handful of plays where you won't hear a whistle or you'll hear the whistle well after the play is done.
                        Sure nuff. And as I have been trying to tell you folks, that is why we have review. There's no way anyone could say that Wayne's forward progress had stopped unless they had a frickin' surveyor's sight and a mothereffing gyroscope on his balls.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                          How so? Refs make calls. They blow calls. How is any conclusion more logical than the other?
                          Determining which event was more likely is a matter of opinion, unless you have some sort of statistics.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure nuff. And as I have been trying to tell you folks, that is why we have review. There's no way anyone could say that Wayne's forward progress had stopped unless they had a frickin' surveyor's sight and a mothereffing gyroscope on his balls.
                          Except it's not reviewable.

Comment

• gebobs
                            • Sep 2003

Determining which event was more likely is a matter of opinion, unless you have some sort of statistics.
                            The issue was which is most logical. Statistics are not relevant.

Except it's not reviewable.
                            Bold assertion. You don't have anything to back it up, but bold nonetheless.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

The issue was which is most logical. Statistics are not relevant.
                              What? Determining if something is logical doesn't involve statistics?

Bold assertion. You don't have anything to back it up, but bold nonetheless.
                              I'm actually the only one citing rules and links. You have nothing backing up your argument.

I just realized how little I actually care about whether you understand this rule. Think whatever you want, enjoy the world you live in.

Comment

• gebobs
                                • Sep 2003

What? Determining if something is logical doesn't involve statistics?
                                Not at all. All logic requires is a solid premise or chain of premises to make a conclusion. It can have infinitesimal probability and still be logical.

I'm actually the only one citing rules and links. You have nothing backing up your argument.
                                Speaking of logic...

Premise: The officials made the call that Wayne's progress was stopped.
                                Conclusion: Not reviewable.

So in order to judge whether that logic is valid, we need to examine that premise. That is why I asked you if you had evidence that this was the case. You don't. That doesn't make you wrong and it doesn't make me right. It doesn't make it logical either.

I just realized how little I actually care about whether you understand this rule. Think whatever you want, enjoy the world you live in.
                                I understand it just fine. I don't think he was down. I don't think his forward progress was stopped. I don't think any official signaled that it was stopped. I don't think anyone could possibly react that quickly to do so or even make a reliable subsequent judgement afterward without the aid of review.

That's why we have review.

You: But it's not reviewable.

And the cycle continues.

Comment

Working...
                                X