Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Time to blow this team up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Time to blow this team up

we need a qb period of course we need a few other pieces but this team is ready to compete with a proper qb i have no doubt about that

2. Post thanked by:

Mahdi (11-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    we need a qb period of course we need a few other pieces but this team is ready to compete with a proper qb i have no doubt about that
    Yeah I think a better QB would hide a lot of our weaknesses. No team has PBers at every position or even good players at every position, but a QB and a MLB/QB/Big hitter on defense would make us very competitive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just once this season I would like to see Spiller with 25 carries and see what happens. Let's run the offensive gameplan around him instead of Fitz.

5. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (11-26-2012),Mahdi (11-26-2012)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,222 Times in 15,390 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In all seriousness, I think the O line is performing well.

I think the D line has the talent, but has underachieved for several reasons, the least of which is coaching.

I believe if your lines are intact, you aren't too far off. By that I mean, and entire franchise blow up is not in order here. (again)

The Bills problem, is that the most glaring need is at QB, and the difference makers don't just grow on trees.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,286 Times in 13,719 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    It starts and ends with the Quarterback, period
    The quarterback didn't give up a S/T touchdown. The quarterback didn't punt inside the 35. The quarterback didn't allow 50% conversion rate on 3rd downs, including a 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 17. The quarterback didn't allow a 6 minute drive. The quarterback didn't limit CJ Spiller to 15 touches.

No doubt the QB sucks and needs to be replaced, but the problems with this team go far beyond QB.

8. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-26-2012),better days (11-26-2012),Jeff1220 (11-26-2012),k-oneputt (11-26-2012)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    No doubt the QB sucks and needs to be replaced, but the problems with this team go far beyond QB.
    Far far far beyond.

10. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Our OL played like trash today, last week as well, but fans overlook that because Spiller can make people miss and Fitz is just so terrible you overlook how bad Hairston and Urbik have been.
    You want to see a terrible OL, watch Chicago. Yet with Cutler, the Bears have a chance to go to the Super Bowl even with a terrible OL. A GOOD QB will fix much of the Bills problems IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our biggest issue is QB.
    But this coach clearly isn't the answer either, so it's time to replace both.

I'll admit, there are times I've thought Chan was doing a good job on the offensive side of the ball.
    He clearly does an excellent job at designing plays, disguising run vs. pass and generally keeping the defense off balance.
    I think he also does a good job at protecting the quarterback, and getting the most out of marginal offensive players.

However, his gameday playcalling is terrible.
    Instead of relying on his best players (Spiller), he's always looking to exploit matchups. It doesn't matter how well our run game is going, or how poorly Fitz is throwing.
    A defense doesn't need to stop our running game. All they need to do is stack the box, and Chan will throw 40 times a game. Even if Spiller is averaging 10 yards a carry.

Chan also deserves blame for the failed Fitz experiment.
    After his first season on the job, he should have DEMANDED that Buddy draft a prospect for him to develop. Instead, he puffed up his chest and concluded that he could win with Fitzpatrick.
    Meanwhile, the Bills passed on Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in 2011, and Russell Wilson in 2012.
    (Don't be surprised if Ryan Mallett and/or Brock Osweiler develop into decent starters when they get a chance as well).

Not to mention that Chan has ZERO control over the defense - and picked a complete moron to run the other side of the ball.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

13. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (11-26-2012)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The quarterback didn't give up a S/T touchdown. The quarterback didn't punt inside the 35. The quarterback didn't allow 50% conversion rate on 3rd downs, including a 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 17. The quarterback didn't allow a 6 minute drive. The quarterback didn't limit CJ Spiller to 15 touches.
    Would you like me to mention all the dumbass things Fitz did do yesterday and over the course of the last full season? Look at Andrew Luck and tell me the Bills wouldn't be vying for the division lead if we had him instead of Tred redux?
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have mixed feelings on Gailey. He does some good things, and I'm not certain that his offenses are that easy for opposing DCs to figure out if you have the QB who can operate the offense effectively. After all Spiller is having a top 3 all time season as far as yards per carry is concerned this season. Still, if Wilson cans him after the season, I could certainly understand it. I think the talent level has been increasing under the Nix regime, and I don't know that we've reached the ceiling. If we find a decent QB and upgrade the linebackingmaybe that will be enough to win us more games. I know we're all tired of waiting, but I'm also wary blowing up the team every three years. Teams that have a history of that never seem to get better. Oakland is another case in point.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    I have mixed feelings on Gailey.He does some good things, and I'm not certain that his offenses are that easy for opposing DCs to figure out if you have the QB who can operate the offense effectively. After all Spiller is having a top 3 all time season as far as yards per carry is concerned this season.
    That's all I need to see to know Gailey is a bum. Spiller is doing as you say. And still has only had one game...ONE GAME...with 20+ touches. And that barely: 25 v. Miami.

I know we're all tired of waiting, but I'm also wary blowing up the team every three years. Teams that have a history of that never seem to get better. Oakland is another case in point.
    Gawd...isn't it pathetic? Even comparing us to the hapless Raiders and the Bills still pale in comparison. The Raiders have made the playoffs 3 times since the last Bills team in '99. And they even have had two 0.500 teams in the past two seasons, something the Bills haven't matched in the previous seven seasons and aren't likely to this year either.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mjt328 View Post
    Our biggest issue is QB.
    But this coach clearly isn't the answer either, so it's time to replace both.

I'll admit, there are times I've thought Chan was doing a good job on the offensive side of the ball.
    He clearly does an excellent job at designing plays, disguising run vs. pass and generally keeping the defense off balance.
    I think he also does a good job at protecting the quarterback, and getting the most out of marginal offensive players.

However, his gameday playcalling is terrible.
    Instead of relying on his best players (Spiller), he's always looking to exploit matchups. It doesn't matter how well our run game is going, or how poorly Fitz is throwing.
    A defense doesn't need to stop our running game. All they need to do is stack the box, and Chan will throw 40 times a game. Even if Spiller is averaging 10 yards a carry.

Chan also deserves blame for the failed Fitz experiment.
    After his first season on the job, he should have DEMANDED that Buddy draft a prospect for him to develop. Instead, he puffed up his chest and concluded that he could win with Fitzpatrick.
    Meanwhile, the Bills passed on Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in 2011, and Russell Wilson in 2012.
    (Don't be surprised if Ryan Mallett and/or Brock Osweiler develop into decent starters when they get a chance as well).

Not to mention that Chan has ZERO control over the defense - and picked a complete moron to run the other side of the ball.
    This. Pretty much my thoughts exactly. QB and Coaching are the biggest needs. Chan designs good plays, but sucks at play calling. HC should have some input on D so that when the unit is playing historically bad, he can talk to his DC w/authority.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If you replace this coaching staff you better be ready for some big roster moves. A new coach is going to want to instill his guys with his system.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

19. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-27-2012),X-Era (11-26-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    If you replace this coaching staff you better be ready for some big roster moves. A new coach is going to want to instill his guys with his system.
    Yes. And it can take years to get the right players for the schemes. That's another reason I'd rather stick with Chan. I do want Wanny gone though. But I'd like to keep the 4-3.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Yes. And it can take years to get the right players for the schemes. That's another reason I'd rather stick with Chan. I do want Wanny gone though. But I'd like to keep the 4-3.
    Why?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no problem with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This team requires big roster moves. And a lot of moves will be lateral moves replacing a marginal guy with another marginal guy.

It's not like the new guy would get rid of say Spiller for someone like Peyton Hillis.

Stars are stars regardless of coach and guys you build the franchise around.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why?
    Why what? We both watched this team spend several picks and several years trying to get the players for a 3-4. Remember the discussion about finding the guys with the right size, skills, speed, etc... to properly run the 3-4? And they never really did. Now, we have the players to run a 4-3 on the DL and in the secondary. We need a ILB and OLB. Hell, I think a productive, solid, ILB alone would make a big impact. The scheme has to be changed to cover the seems and the flat. I agree that we ought to be looking for an ILB/OLB that can cover the quicker TE's in this league. If we find the scheme and players to stop the Pats offense, we will have built a team that can beat many teams. Focus on what it will take to stop the Pats offense. Welker and Gronk in the flats and seems. I don't think that has to be a major shift in defensive scheme with all new players.

And that's just on defense.

On offense, we adequate talent on the OL, RB, WR, and TE. Can we always add to the mix and push starters? Yes and we always should look to do that. But, our offense has been successful and IMO is successful enough to win games. We need a QB who can continue to run our spread but who has better accuracy and can throw a more accurate long ball. I also would like to add more intangibles as well. A guy like Geno Smith seems more and more appealing. I don't want to throw away something that's successful enough to win games. A new offensive playbook alone could take a year to learn and master.

Were close enough that status quo as far as HC and schemes (4-3) should stay. It's a shorter road to success to stick with much of what we have. Get the few pieces you need (QB, ILB, OLB) add to the depth with vets and young guys who will hopefully push to start and finish the current model.

Just my two cents guys. I understand many totally disagree and want to start over and I respect that opinion. I just disagree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    I have no problem with that.
    So you want to have to rebuild the D for a third time in 5 years? Toss in find a new offense. Say what you want but Gailey has done the most to bring out the most of the players he does have on O.

26. Post thanked by:

X-Era (11-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Why what? We both watched this team spend several picks and several years trying to get the players for a 3-4. Remember the discussion about finding the guys with the right size, skills, speed, etc... to properly run the 3-4? And they never really did. Now, we have the players to run a 4-3 on the DL and in the secondary. We need a ILB and OLB. Hell, I think a productive, solid, ILB alone would make a big impact. The scheme has to be changed to cover the seems and the flat. I agree that we ought to be looking for an ILB/OLB that can cover the quicker TE's in this league. If we find the scheme and players to stop the Pats offense, we will have built a team that can beat many teams. Focus on what it will take to stop the Pats offense. Welker and Gronk in the flats and seems. I don't think that has to be a major shift in defensive scheme with all new players.

And that's just on defense.

On offense, we adequate talent on the OL, RB, WR, and TE. Can we always add to the mix and push starters? Yes and we always should look to do that. But, our offense has been successful and IMO is successful enough to win games. We need a QB who can continue to run our spread but who has better accuracy and can throw a more accurate long ball. I also would like to add more intangibles as well. A guy like Geno Smith seems more and more appealing. I don't want to throw away something that's successful enough to win games. A new offensive playbook alone could take a year to learn and master.

Were close enough that status quo as far as HC and schemes (4-3) should stay. It's a shorter road to success to stick with much of what we have. Get the few pieces you need (QB, ILB, OLB) add to the depth with vets and young guys who will hopefully push to start and finish the current model.

Just my two cents guys. I understand many totally disagree and want to start over and I respect that opinion. I just disagree.
    On offense I would argue we have talent at RB, interior offensive line and at one WR spot. Everyone else is a question mark or debatable starter. I was calling him last offseason but one guy who might be available this offseason is Jermichael Finley. I would love for us to land him as he would immediately give us a weapon in the passing game outside of Stevie. Yes he's had bouts of inconsistency but really think would give us someone that could be a legitimate threat outside of Stevie. As to me Scott Chandler is nothing more then a depth TE/Red Zone specialist.