Thread: The Problem of the Bills? Players, Players, Players!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Problem of the Bills? Players, Players, Players!

You can talk about all the coaching changes you want, but without players, no one is going to win here and no coach would want to come here.

Much is made of the Bills missing the playoff last 13 years. I ask this question: how many super stars we have on the Bills the last 13 years? Take one step back, how many stars we have during that time.

The last time we were in the playoff, this team still had Bruce Smith. When the Pats made the superbowls, they had Brady, Seymour, etc. Steelers have Ben, Polamalu, the Giants have Eli, and a string of DE superstars. The Bills by my count have 0 during this time.

That, my friend, is the difference. The front office is that bad from Donahoe era on down.

Nix starts to get some solid players on board. But so far he hasn't hit a homerun on star/superstar category (maybe Spiller can be counted as 1/2 superstar, pending his development from here on). I'd not put Mario on the superstar category because he is not (or the Texans would not let him go) despite being paid as much because it's only way for the Bills to get him.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,218 Times in 13,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Problem of the Bills? Players, Players, Players!

the only one I would consider a superstar would be Takeo Spikes, and he was only here and healthy for 2 years.

But keep in mind, the GM and coach pick the players, and Ralph has to sign the paychecks. The reason we don't have good players is because of the FO and coaches.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lots of players become superstars because of coaching. How much have you heard from Richard Seymour since he went to Oakland? Brady was a 6th round pick sitting behind a 1st overall pick. How many coach staffs would have the brass to replace Bledsoe with Brady after he came back from injury? Let's look at Oakland - At one point they had Seymour, McFadden, and Asomugha - legit superstars. They couldn't make the playoffs then either. Look at San Francisco - Gore, Willis, Davis, etc couldn't get anything done with Singletary. Now they are Super Bowl favorites.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

4. Post thanked by:

ServoBillieves (11-28-2012)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What defines a superstar, just for arguments sake?
    Bye Bye Brady...

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    the only one I would consider a superstar would be Takeo Spikes, and he was only here and healthy for 2 years.

But keep in mind, the GM and coach pick the players, and Ralph has to sign the paychecks. The reason we don't have good players is because of the FO and coaches.
    Spikes is still around. 57 total tackles with SD so far this year, 111 last season. Since leaving BUF, in the span 2007 - 2011, he's averaged 94 total tackles and played in 77 games out of a possible 80, and has played in all 11 SD games this season. London Fletcher has 88 total with WAS, and has averaged 141 per season since going to WAS in 2007. Poz's last season with BUF showed 151 total and 101 solo tackles. Had 119 last season with JAX and 92 to date this year.

The BUF FO is loony.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-28-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,218 Times in 13,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Believe me- I was in DC (well, Northern VA) until last year, so I am well aware of how Fletcher has done. He's been an absolute beast for the Skins.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Believe me- I was in DC (well, Northern VA) until last year, so I am well aware of how Fletcher has done. He's been an absolute beast for the Skins.
    forget you!

fletcher2.jpg