Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just talked with a source about Gailey's future and QB in draft

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Just talked with a source about Gailey's future and QB in draft

We still haven't beating a team with a good QB since Tom Brady Week 3 2011.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Next season? How are those lease negotiations going?
    They already have an extension for next year.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    They already have an extension for next year.
    I'm not talking about the current lease or any measly one year extension of it. I'm talking about the negotiations for a new lease.

Nonetheless, I haven't seen anything that says it has been signed, have you? All I have seen is that they have "agreed in principle" to the extension.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tyler Wilson is going to be one of, if not the top QB after the combine and work outs are completed. The boy has skills. Is he a top 5 pick? Not in my opinion, but does he have a lot of potential? Definitely.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's the problem: Every year around Nov/Dec fans start talking up a can't miss QB. Then the guy shoots up the draft boards & we win a meaningless game or 2 taking us out of any chance of getting him. That or the guy is already going to be a pick that is too high for us to get near. So while we're winning our 6 or 7 games other teams are losing the games in December that ace us out of these guys. It's been happening since Pittsburgh had a bad enough year to get Roethlisberger & we ended up with JP.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    It is clear you never saw Fergy play. 4th best Bills QB ever behind Kelly, Kemp & Lamonica.
    and what's really sad is Fergy was the only QB the Bills ever developed. Kelly deveoled in the USFL, Kemp with the Chargers and Lamonica did so with the Raiders.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    and what's really sad is Fergy was the only QB the Bills ever developed. Kelly deveoled in the USFL, Kemp with the Chargers and Lamonica did so with the Raiders.
    Lamonica was developed by the Bills. He came in & won a number of games as a Bill. He was fully developed when he went to Oakland in probably the worst trade in Bills history.

8. Post thanked by:

gebobs (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lamonica was developed by the Bills. He came in & won a number of games as a Bill. He was fully developed when he went to Oakland in probably the worst trade in Bills history.
    Lamonica was a backup to Kemp his entire career on the Bills, and it is hard to fault them for trading him at the time. He only started 4 games in 4 seasons, and he was a much better player after being traded to Oakland.

His career numbers with the Bills:

150/353 (42.5%), 2,499 Yds (7.1 YPA), 16 TD, 23 Int, 55.0 QB Rating

His career numbers with the Oakland:

1,135/2,239 (50.7%), 16,620 Yds (7.4 YPA), 147 TD, 111 Int, 76.5 QB Rating

In hindsight, they should have kept Lamonica and moved on from Kemp, but at that time the trade made more sense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    Lamonica was a backup to Kemp his entire career on the Bills, and it is hard to fault them for trading him at the time. He only started 4 games in 4 seasons, and he was a much better player after being traded to Oakland.

In hindsight, they should have kept Lamonica and moved on from Kemp, but at that time the trade made more sense.
    Lolwhut? How did the trade make sense? Who trades away the QB their grooming to replace the aging starter? It was the most boneheaded trade in franchise history and everyone knew the second it was made that Davis had taken Wilson out to the woodshed on that one.

Lamonica was 26 and entering the prime of his career. Flores was 30 at the time of the trade and out of football two seasons later. Kemp was 32 and missed the entire following season with an injury. As a result, the Bills were forced to start, Rutkowski, a frickin' receiver, at QB.

If only Wilson owned the Patriots. He would have kept Bledsoe and traded his backup to us. That would have made sense at the time.

11. Post thanked by:

better days (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wrong. Of course Lamonicas numbers were better with Oakland than his numbers in Buffalo, he was a STARTER in Oakland. At the time of the trade, Lamonica was a fully developed rising star. Kemp was OLD & losing it. That trade made no sense at all, Buffalo gave up a young QB with probowl potential & acquired a couple OLD over the hill players in return.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lolwhut? How did the trade make sense? Who trades away the QB their grooming to replace the aging starter? It was the most boneheaded trade in franchise history and everyone knew the second it was made that Davis had taken Wilson out to the woodshed on that one.

Lamonica was 26 and entering the prime of his career. Flores was 30 at the time of the trade and out of football two seasons later. Kemp was 32 and missed the entire following season with an injury. As a result, the Bills were forced to start, Rutkowski, a frickin' receiver, at QB.
    Again, I think you are looking at it in hindsight. I was pretty young, but the consensus at the time was Buffalo got the better of the deal. They got Tom Flores from Oakland, and he had started there and was only 29. Flores was coming off the best year of his career. They also got Art Powell, who was a really good WR coming off a huge year. Unfortunately, Powell hurt his knee and didn't pan out.

Lamonica may have been young and had promise, but he was an unknown. He basically was Kemp's backup. It is easy to sit back now because the trade worked out great for Oakland and was a mistake by Buffalo, but at the time I think most people thought Buffalo got a great deal.

Also, this wasn't the worst trade in Buffalo history. I think getting rid of Bob McDole was worse.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills got Tom Flores and Art Powell in exchange for Lamonica and Glenn Bass. Whatta deal...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Again, I think you are looking at it in hindsight. I was pretty young, but the consensus at the time was Buffalo got the better of the deal.
    We must be about the same age. But you're probably right. The "consensus" I had was listening to my father and his friends moaning about the trade. And that was probably after Flores and Powell went down and Lamonica emerged. But Lamonica was a fan favorite in Buffalo. Probably akin to Reich.

Also, this wasn't the worst trade in Buffalo history. I think getting rid of Bob McDole was worse.
    Ron Mcdole. ;-)

But yeah, those two trades are certainly the worst. I would say the McDole trade had a silver lining. Wilson was sick of Rauch and wanted him gone, but he didn't want to eat the contract. After Rauch made the trade, Wilson had to deal with the the fanbase that was outraged with the coach (by the trade and also for calling Paul McGuire "the clown of the team"). Wilson told Rauch he was going to make a statement that McDole was a fine player still and wasn't traded because he was washed up as Rauch had publicly said. Rauch told Wilson that if he did that, he would resign.

Within 5 minutes, Wilson was on the phone with Van Miller and putting a match to Rauch's contract.

Unfortunately, Wilson again went on the cheap with Harvey Johnson.

Hey, but speaking of good ol' John Rauch, wanna hear something really funny? He was also the coach that pulled the trigger on the Lamonica trade...for Oakland.
    Last edited by gebobs; 12-05-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hey, but speaking of good ol' John Rauch, wanna hear something really funny? He was also the coach that pulled the trigger on the Lamonica trade...for Oakland.
    I remember reading an article that Al Davis was hesitant about pulling the trigger on Lamonica because he thought the Bills were asking for too much. He finally decided to go ahead with it after talking to the coaches, who really wanted Lamonica.

I'm not saying the Lamonica trade was was a good one, it wasn't. At the time though I thought people were thinking the Bills got real good value. It didn't work out. That is different from the kind of incompetence that fostered other moves.

17. Post thanked by:

gebobs (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here's something I found from a book written by Billy Shaw, Rockin' the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the AFL...it's still hindsight of course. Just posting it if anyone's interested.

Attachment 16071

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lamonica was run out of town for personal reasons, not football related reasons.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Lamonica was run out of town for personal reasons, not football related reasons.
    Like what? Was he banging Hasek's wife too?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Again, I think you are looking at it in hindsight. I was pretty young, but the consensus at the time was Buffalo got the better of the deal. They got Tom Flores from Oakland, and he had started there and was only 29. Flores was coming off the best year of his career. They also got Art Powell, who was a really good WR coming off a huge year. Unfortunately, Powell hurt his knee and didn't pan out.

Lamonica may have been young and had promise, but he was an unknown. He basically was Kemp's backup. It is easy to sit back now because the trade worked out great for Oakland and was a mistake by Buffalo, but at the time I think most people thought Buffalo got a great deal.

Like I said before, you are wrong. The consensus was NOT that Buffalo got the better of the deal & if you can find ONE article from the time saying so, I would love to read it. BOTH Flores & Powell were OLD at the time of the trade as was Kemp. STUPID trade!!!

At least in the McDole trade, the Bills got draft picks in return, not washed up has beens, but that trade was STUPID as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Like I said before, you are wrong. The consensus was NOT that Buffalo got the better of the deal & if you can find ONE article from the time saying so, I would love to read it. BOTH Flores & Powell were OLD at the time of the trade as was Kemp. STUPID trade!!!

At least in the McDole trade, the Bills got draft picks in return, not washed up has beens, but that trade was STUPID as well.
    Flores was 29 and coming off his best season. Powell was 29 and coming off back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. Powell is on the All-Time AFL team, he was a great player. Unfortunately, he got hurt.

Here is your article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...0556/index.htm

Oakland got Lamonica and Receiver Glenn Bass. Buffalo got Tom Flores, who had been Oakland's No. 1 quarterback, and the superb receiver, Art Powell. There was some juggling of draft choices by the teams, too. Then the rest of the AFL sat back to see which club had been shrewdest. The early favorite was Buffalo.
    You seem very angry. This is just an online conversation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Flores was 29 and coming off his best season. Powell was 29 and coming off back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. Powell is on the All-Time AFL team, he was a great player. Unfortunately, he got hurt.

Here is your article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...0556/index.htm

You seem very angry. This is just an online conversation.
    Flores was 29.......................OLD. As was Powell. I don't care how good his season was the year before. In BUFFALO everyone was MAD that Lamonica was traded & NOBODY thought the Bills got the better of the trade.