Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why the Gailey Hate

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Why the Gailey Hate

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    No asking for his head and thinking a new guy can come in and rebuild in less than three years is 100% emotion and no logic.

Good teams and good franchises stay the course and right the ship they do not constantly tear it down and try to rebuild.

You people are crazy.

So here is the question when you show up in 2013 to games and Gailey and Nix are still here and you wear your brown bags in protest, when are you going to take them off? Because they will be here neither of them is going anywhere and I doubt Gailey fires any coaches so you guys have two choices.

Personnel I am waiting till 8 games next year at that point if we are not in serious playoff contention and winning big games then I say a change has to be made. Three years is not enough time especially given the circumstances of changing a defense, new players, and very young players having to play.

I will agree that going to the 34 was stupid to begin with so that is something that we should all be pissed about. It cost us Schobel and Poz.
    Of course a guy can come in & rebuild in less than 3 years! All the Bills need to win are a QB & a competent coaching staff. Select the right coach & QB, re-sign the key free agents and this team is a winner next season. Stay the course with Gailey & Fitzpatrick & we're a loser again. This is the 21st century-rookie QBs come in and teams go from losers to winners the very next season-just look at what a new coach & QB are doing in Indy & the coach has been ill virtually the whole season. Look at the recent 1 season turn arounds & wake up to this 3 year nonsense:
    2012 Colts: New coach, new rookie QB: 2-14 in 2011, playoffs 2012
    2012 Rams: New coach, same QB but not injured for 6 games, 2011 2-14, 2012 5-6-1 so far, major improvement
    2011 49ers: New coach, same QB, 2010 6-10, 2011 13-3 makes it all the way to NFC championship game
    2011 Broncos: New coach, new starting QB, 2010 4-12, 2011 8-8 win division & playoff game, show enough to attract P. Manning 1 year later and are now Super Bowl contenders in coach's 2nd year.
    2008 Dolphins: New coach, new QB (veteran), 2007 1-15, 2008 11-5 win division
    2008 Ravens: New coach, new rookie QB, 2007 5-11, 2008 11-5, playoffs & with the coach & QB they've been contenders ever since the change.
    I could go on, but I think my point about the 3 year nonsense is proven, and if you still have any doubts that you can turn a team around in far less than 3 years, then explain how 2 expansion teams in 1995 made it to the conference championship games in 1996.

Now look at Bills history with coaches 3 years or less on the job. Do you really think more time would have helped: Williams, Bullough, Stephenson, Ringo, Johnson, Rauch, Collier and Ramsey? About the only guy you could make a case for is Mularkey & he quit. All the others never got another NFL HC gig again.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 12-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

gebobs (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    I think the money's about to dry up... hard to keep repackaging the same product and expect even a faithful fan base to come back. They're going to have to perform now to sell tickets... that's my point - there will be nothing to shield anyone of their failings if they continue next year. Not Chan, not Buddy, not Fitz... all will have to earn it if they hope to have a future. I know many will say that's already come and passed, but not in old Ralphie's eyes. I'm sure he's completely set, or at least mostly set, on bringing back the band for one more run. So be it... then we'll know for sure. In the meantime I hope we get one of Teo, Ogletree or Geno when we're picking at #14 since we ended up winning 3 of our last 5 when it didn't matter. Missing out on a difference maker in April would salt the wound that much more.
    Well, the game this Sunday against the Rams is sold out & will be televised. If the Bills finish the season strong & have a good offseason, the faithful fan base will be back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Bull ****! If you think this team is exiting you're crazy.
    Bull**** my A**. You must have a very poor memory if you don't think Chans Bills are much more exciting than Dicks Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,394 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No asking for his head and thinking a new guy can come in and rebuild in less than three years is 100% emotion and no logic.

Good teams and good franchises stay the course and right the ship they do not constantly tear it down and try to rebuild.

You people are crazy.

So here is the question when you show up in 2013 to games and Gailey and Nix are still here and you wear your brown bags in protest, when are you going to take them off? Because they will be here neither of them is going anywhere and I doubt Gailey fires any coaches so you guys have two choices.

Personnel I am waiting till 8 games next year at that point if we are not in serious playoff contention and winning big games then I say a change has to be made. Three years is not enough time especially given the circumstances of changing a defense, new players, and very young players having to play.

I will agree that going to the 34 was stupid to begin with so that is something that we should all be pissed about. It cost us Schobel and Poz.
    Well, the mast is broken and there's a giant hole in the hull, so righting the ship is impossible. You can bail water out with buckets or try to sail on what's left of the mast but you're gonna sink eventually no matter what you do. Gailey was a bad pick from the start and nothing can be done to fix it except replace him.

animal-house-all-is-well.jpg All is Well! DO NOT PANIC!

6. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-05-2012),BillsFever21 (12-06-2012),Historian (12-05-2012)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, Chan may have won less games than Dick, but I would rather watch Chans Bills lose than watch Jaurons teams win, the Jauron Bills were so BORING to watch. At least Chans Bills are exciting to watch.
    Yeah...watching 20 screen plays a game is so exciting!
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    every team Dicks ever coached got worse the longer he stayed as HC.
    Wait til the end of this season and we'll see where the bills are headed in terms of record as far as Gailey is concerned. I'm not saying that we keep Gailey but to say that Dick did a better job remains to be seen.
    The point is not really that one or the other is better. The fact that the topic is even remotely debatable is.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

really don't care what hte stats say about jauron vs gailey. i would rather watch a gailey led team than a jauron led team. jauron games were so slow and they held on til the end when they won despite themselves. and they'd lose in all sorts of ways.

Gailey has offensive points going up. you do think they have a chance of scoring any time the team gets the ball.

but my faith in gailey is waning. this year, he really made some very jauronian type decisions to be bone headed and not in the game to make the right calls. the 2pt conversion vs the titans, losingpats and 49ers in embarassing fashion. almost pissing away the cards game. it isn't really inspiring.

but the fact he can get almost 24-35 points most games (7 out of 11 games) with this QB and the current play calls? imagine what a real qb can do.

i agree with OP, i don't want one good season and start over. At this point, the problem is that the people evaluating the operation are terrible. absentee owner and his smithers. If we had football guys who were good and they said, "gailey gets another year. end of story" i'd be fine with that. but when i'm right more than ralph in the last 12 years, i tend to go with my gut. and my gut says that the talent for starters has gotten better. the depth is about the same or worse, and the coaching is failing us.

10. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac2001 View Post
    id take a bad win over an entertaining loss
    I don't find any loss entertaining.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,485 Times in 15,573 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only reason I like CG a wee bit more than DJ is his candor.

"Coach...how do you explain today's loss?"

CG: "We lost as a team....we just weren't good enough today. We gotta get better."

DJ: "I love these guys....and...and I love this game...."

13. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

DJ: "We'll have to look at the game tape."

15. Post thanked by:

better days (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry I disagree we had very little talent that first year and Edwards screwed us out of a couple of games.

Nix has drafted well and the defense is actually climbing in rankings, only gave up 10 points if Rogers does not drop the punt.

Yes jags are bad team but you have to beat the bad teams and win the games you are supposed to win.

Jauron got us to 7-9 and never improved Gailey was 3-13, 6-10, and hopefully 8-8 that is improvement every year.

Sorry I just do not agree with you guys at all. You guys want a quick fix and just make it to the playoffs and then suck for another decade. I want to build a team like the 90s bills that goes to the playoffs more times than it does not in a decade.

Personally I do not think Gailey his staff or the front office are the reason that is not happening they inherited a bad bad team. They have made us better on the field and on paper. Period....

That being said 9-7 or better next year or Gailey has to go, he needs to show in year 4 that he has a playoff caliber team and actually win games we were not supposed to win.

what you say is all true,and i would have agreed at end of last year. but this year, gailey has walked this team out of a couple wins, had them get embarassed by a jets team that had no business being in most games this season, and hasn't motivated them from mid sept onward. the bills controlled their fate, even after that patriot loss. the fact they could go to san fran and be so flat and that you knew it was coming was really embarassing. i lack faith that he can win 3 of 4 very winnable games. i don't know if i trust him to do this again with more talent and make simple mistakes like "not running enough, or kicking FG in domes, or not having brad smith throw a bomb in a game you won, or go for 2 when you are up by 6 in the fourth quarter, or beat the AFC east teams at above .500 in a season."

the bills played in the NFC west this year. they should have won both patriot games and the titans game. they could have won the indy game if they trusted their running game. that's 4 more wins that i think a better coach taps into.

but i agree that change and radical change isn't what this team needs. it needs tweaks. especially if we win 3 of 4 or better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    The point is not really that one or the other is better. The fact that the topic is even remotely debatable is.
    It is kind of like saying "this bag of crap doesn't smell as terrible as the last bag of crap".

Either way, it is a bag of crap.

18. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (12-06-2012),gebobs (12-05-2012),Historian (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    they should have won both patriot games
    Hello what?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hello what?

is it too much to ask for a team with a 21-7 lead to not fumble at the 1 with their Injured back to go up 28-7 and ice the game?

is it too much to ask the team to not get the ridiculous 14 penalties which gifted the other team 21 points? that is hard to pin on gailey, but despite all that, he had the bills one play away from winning the game.

a better team wins those two games.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah...watching 20 screen plays a game is so exciting!
    Much more exciting than watching Trent Edwards complete a pass for a one yd gain on 3rd & LONG time after time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    is it too much to ask for a team with a 21-7 lead to not fumble at the 1 with their Injured back to go up 28-7 and ice the game?
    Of course not. But to quote Dick Cheney, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want to have. For generals (coach), the Patriots have Patton. The Bills have Custer. For guns (quarterbacks), the Patriots have an Uzi. The Bills have a flintlock musket. Swap those two, and the Bills win. But the reality is that the Bills can't reasonably compete with the Patriots with the QB and the coach they have. If they don't get blown out, you can bet they'll find a way to lose otherwise.

a better team wins those two games.
    Sure, but the Bills aren't a better team. Gailey is 1-5 against Belichick. He has been lucky enough to get that one win. It's more than most Bills coaches can say in the past 12 years since Brady took over.

- - - Updated - - -

Much more exciting than watching Trent Edwards complete a pass for a one yd gain on 3rd & LONG time after time.
    Much more? You are easily amused. You make a perfect Bills fan.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

fitz has lost atleast 3 games this year....

i am curious what chan could do we anything better

but chan also chose fitz (but did he want to draft another)
    Still his responsability and I hate this situation, because with better QBacking this team would have a winning record and talking about playoffs.

I don't know if they didn't want to challenge Fitz or thought 100% he was the man (if that is so, Chan is oh, so very wrong) but I would only accept the status quo and every body coming back if Chan says at the end of the year that the QB position has to improve and that they will do everything in their power to upgrade it.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,394 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

fitz has lost atleast 3 games this year....

i am curious what chan could do we anything better

but chan also chose fitz (but did he want to draft another)
    A few things here:

First, as you stated, Chan chose Fitz. He also chose to pass when he could have run. It's on Chan for playing the game like he has Tom Brady at QB and Danny Woodhead at RB instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and CJ Spiller at RB. It's the coach's responsibility to maximize the talent that he has and minimize the flaws that the team has. His consistent belief in Fitz is a big reason why he should go.

Second, as far as what Chan could do with a better QB- well, of course that makes a coach's job easier. ANY coach is going to do better with a better QB. And the unfortunate reality is that we don't have a better QB. So, it goes back to the first point: the coach has to maximize the talent that he has.

This is where Gailey consistently fails.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,983 Times in 3,520 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    A few things here:

First, as you stated, Chan chose Fitz. He also chose to pass when he could have run. It's on Chan for playing the game like he has Tom Brady at QB and Danny Woodhead at RB instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and CJ Spiller at RB. It's the coach's responsibility to maximize the talent that he has and minimize the flaws that the team has. His consistent belief in Fitz is a big reason why he should go.

Second, as far as what Chan could do with a better QB- well, of course that makes a coach's job easier. ANY coach is going to do better with a better QB. And the unfortunate reality is that we don't have a better QB. So, it goes back to the first point: the coach has to maximize the talent that he has.

This is where Gailey consistently fails.
    That's all fine and dandy but you ain't winning anything with Fitz. As for picking him I agree he should have tried TJ. But saying get the most of your team in a QB driven league when you have garbage under center is kind of silly. And I'm far from a Gailey fan. This idea that we're a better coach away is officially getting annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,983 Times in 3,520 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bull**** my A**. You must have a very poor memory if you don't think Chans Bills are much more exciting than Dicks Bills.
    You're right. The argument itself is silly of course. The old "dog **** smells better than cow ****" argument. To me 7-9 is the worst thing you can be in this league. Absolutely ******ed to say that's better than anything. You're either in the playoffs or you're not. Jauron was every bit the failure Chan is. And he bored the hell out of me.