• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Re: Why the Gailey Hate

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
    He's getting another year, so it should be very clear whether or not he deserves the job about this time next year.
    It's already "very clear." It's just unfortunate that the Front Office apparently still doesn't see it.

But hey, as long as they keep getting the fans' money, they'll be more than happy to sell them the same **** sandwich that's been served for the past 13 years.

-Bill

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
      It's already "very clear." It's just unfortunate that the Front Office apparently still doesn't see it.

But hey, as long as they keep getting the fans' money, they'll be more than happy to sell them the same **** sandwich that's been served for the past 13 years.

-Bill
      I think the money's about to dry up... hard to keep repackaging the same product and expect even a faithful fan base to come back. They're going to have to perform now to sell tickets... that's my point - there will be nothing to shield anyone of their failings if they continue next year. Not Chan, not Buddy, not Fitz... all will have to earn it if they hope to have a future. I know many will say that's already come and passed, but not in old Ralphie's eyes. I'm sure he's completely set, or at least mostly set, on bringing back the band for one more run. So be it... then we'll know for sure. In the meantime I hope we get one of Teo, Ogletree or Geno when we're picking at #14 since we ended up winning 3 of our last 5 when it didn't matter. Missing out on a difference maker in April would salt the wound that much more.

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Way worse team, with twice the talent.

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

Sorry I disagree we had very little talent that first year and Edwards screwed us out of a couple of games.

Nix has drafted well and the defense is actually climbing in rankings, only gave up 10 points if Rogers does not drop the punt.

Yes jags are bad team but you have to beat the bad teams and win the games you are supposed to win.

Jauron got us to 7-9 and never improved Gailey was 3-13, 6-10, and hopefully 8-8 that is improvement every year.

Sorry I just do not agree with you guys at all. You guys want a quick fix and just make it to the playoffs and then suck for another decade. I want to build a team like the 90s bills that goes to the playoffs more times than it does not in a decade.

Personally I do not think Gailey his staff or the front office are the reason that is not happening they inherited a bad bad team. They have made us better on the field and on paper. Period....

That being said 9-7 or better next year or Gailey has to go, he needs to show in year 4 that he has a playoff caliber team and actually win games we were not supposed to win.

Comment

• JoeMama
            Emotion Sickness
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
            Let's follow through on this thread:
            OP says Gailey & Nix inherited a mess but now we have more talent. I'll buy that.
            Gailey over Jauron people say Gailey's games are better to watch.
            Fact: Gailey's win percentage is lower than Jauron's.
            If we buy the fact that Jauron had less talent, then why is Gailey not a worse coach than Jauron since his record with more talent is worse?
            Jauron may not have gotten any better, but his 7-9 seasons would cause the Gailey supporters to be calling for an extension of Gailey's contract.
            Bottom line: 2 bad coaches & Gailey is the worse of the 2.
            What it boils down to is maybe Chan Gailey's fans aren't that bright.

Gailey's record is indefensible.

Supporting him at this point is 100% emotion and 0% logic.
            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
              What it boils down to is maybe Chan Gailey's fans aren't that bright.

Gailey's record is indefensible.

Supporting him at this point is 100% emotion and 0% logic.

No asking for his head and thinking a new guy can come in and rebuild in less than three years is 100% emotion and no logic.

Good teams and good franchises stay the course and right the ship they do not constantly tear it down and try to rebuild.

You people are crazy.

So here is the question when you show up in 2013 to games and Gailey and Nix are still here and you wear your brown bags in protest, when are you going to take them off? Because they will be here neither of them is going anywhere and I doubt Gailey fires any coaches so you guys have two choices.

Personnel I am waiting till 8 games next year at that point if we are not in serious playoff contention and winning big games then I say a change has to be made. Three years is not enough time especially given the circumstances of changing a defense, new players, and very young players having to play.

I will agree that going to the 34 was stupid to begin with so that is something that we should all be pissed about. It cost us Schobel and Poz.

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                Well, Chan may have won less games than Dick, but I would rather watch Chans Bills lose than watch Jaurons teams win, the Jauron Bills were so BORING to watch. At least Chans Bills are exciting to watch.

Bull ****! If you think this team is exiting you're crazy.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                  Look I know this season did not meet up with our expectations but maybe our expectations were out of whack.

Lets start from the beginning Gailey and Nix inherited a mess and stupidly tried to become a 34 team, this was the only thing that they have done that really angers me.

We have added some talent through the draft and finally became a big spender in free agency what everyone wanted us to do. I think this is where the problem comes in everyone expected us to have this dominate defense week one and we could coast to the playoffs with our average passing game good running game and great defense.

Well I think it has taken longer for this defense to adjust to game speed of the new 43 and for our young players to come up to speed and gain valuable experience. Keep in mind at points in the game we have Kyle Moore, Dareus, Bradham, Gilmore, Rogers, Searcy, and Sheppard on the field that is 7 rookies or second year players. Moore has never played in an nfl game till last year that is why he is in this category.

Offense we lack a number 2 right now maybe Easley or Graham will be the guy but they are not right now. Losing Nelson hurt a lot, and Fitz is unable to throw deep on the sideline so defenses are just squatting and taking away the middle of the field daring us to throw deep outside which he just can not do.

Do I believe we are better than 5-7 yes I do, do I think we are playoff team no I do not. However I think we have progressed as a team from last year and I know all of you want the instant turn around but I want to be good for decades like the steelers not one year like the lions.

Therefore, I ask what will cleaning house accomplish do you think we have 49ner talent on this defense? Do you think we will be able to draft Luck or Griffin? Personally I said I would give our defense 8 games into next season to prove they are a top 10 unit before I start calling for coaches to be fired or Nix to be fired for wasting money.

I also want to see our offense with a legit QB that we can develop for 2013 and hopefully beat out Fitz in 2014.

Bottom line is I do not think Gailey is the problem I think the problem is young players and coaches trying to figure out how to coach around their weaknesses especially on defense.

But hey blow it up it has worked so well for us in the past. How many coaches have the steelers had, and how many have we had since 1999? Hey maybe stability is not a bad thing. We seem to like with Nix has done for the most part. He kept our young stars and he brought in the best DE in FA this past year. Overall in drafting his first rounders look like two home runs and hopefully Dareus becomes a home run but he is still a good player but not great yet. We drafted Aaron Williams and did not draft a QB that could be a mistake if Colin or Dalton get to elite status. Graham over Wilson we shall see round 3 has produced some really good WRs in history maybe he is a good one or maybe it was a bad pick, or maybe they were not high on Wilson because of his height who knows.

We had zero talent 3 years ago and now we have some pieces that they have brought in that people talk about and fear on other teams. Jauron gave us Bryd and Kyle, but those picks are lost on the Maybins and other mistakes.
                  Gailey doesn't try a 51-yard FG in a dome but tries a 50 yarder outside in windy, rainy weather.

Gailey kept two kickers only to cut one 6 weeks into the season. Gailey kept Moorman over Potter only to reverse the decision halfway through the season.

Gailey has a playmaker in Spiller yet continues to allow Fitzpatrick to force plays. It's mind-boggling how he insists on passing despite having 2 great backs and an OL that is better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Gailey did nothing as his D set records for futility for the first quarter of the season. And don't assume that the D just "took longer to adjust." We've been playing Miami, Indy and Jacksonville. When the D was getting smashed, we were playing the Jets, Patriots, 49ers, Texans, and Titans. With the exception of the Jets, the quality of competition has gone down.

Gailey's a lemon. A lemon might get you to and from work a few times without breaking down, but no matter how many repairs you have done on it or if you get it to work for a short period of time, it will always break down and leave you stranded. Sooner or later, it has to be replaced, and sooner is better than later. You can keep the lemon and have your stability, but you are also keeping all it's problems. Your last sentence pretty much says it all: we had zero talent 3 years ago. Well, while we do lack talent in some key areas, we also have talent now. So, why are we just as bad on the field? Answer: Gailey. And Wannstadt.

I do agree with you about one thing though: blowing it up won't make a difference as long as Ralph's in charge. The man has always been incapable of putting together a winning football team, and I can't imagine he's any better at it now that he's 94 in failing health.
                  Last edited by OpIv37; 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

For me there was nothing more torturous than the Dick Jauron era. I never had hope it was going to get better and games were torture to watch. It seems now we at least have players to build on. I don't think chans the answer tho, his record sucks. A good coach would have us at 7-5 right now at least
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

No hate... just wish to see a change to a coach who is more in tune with the modern game and sees that we need an athletic QB who can deliver the ball more consistently.

Plus a GM who isn't a scout first and blindly picks players based on his grade with little to no cosideration for need ( see QB ) .
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                        • Jul 2002

No asking for his head and thinking a new guy can come in and rebuild in less than three years is 100% emotion and no logic.

Good teams and good franchises stay the course and right the ship they do not constantly tear it down and try to rebuild.

You people are crazy.

So here is the question when you show up in 2013 to games and Gailey and Nix are still here and you wear your brown bags in protest, when are you going to take them off? Because they will be here neither of them is going anywhere and I doubt Gailey fires any coaches so you guys have two choices.

Personnel I am waiting till 8 games next year at that point if we are not in serious playoff contention and winning big games then I say a change has to be made. Three years is not enough time especially given the circumstances of changing a defense, new players, and very young players having to play.

I will agree that going to the 34 was stupid to begin with so that is something that we should all be pissed about. It cost us Schobel and Poz.
                        Of course a guy can come in & rebuild in less than 3 years! All the Bills need to win are a QB & a competent coaching staff. Select the right coach & QB, re-sign the key free agents and this team is a winner next season. Stay the course with Gailey & Fitzpatrick & we're a loser again. This is the 21st century-rookie QBs come in and teams go from losers to winners the very next season-just look at what a new coach & QB are doing in Indy & the coach has been ill virtually the whole season. Look at the recent 1 season turn arounds & wake up to this 3 year nonsense:
                        2012 Colts: New coach, new rookie QB: 2-14 in 2011, playoffs 2012
                        2012 Rams: New coach, same QB but not injured for 6 games, 2011 2-14, 2012 5-6-1 so far, major improvement
                        2011 49ers: New coach, same QB, 2010 6-10, 2011 13-3 makes it all the way to NFC championship game
                        2011 Broncos: New coach, new starting QB, 2010 4-12, 2011 8-8 win division & playoff game, show enough to attract P. Manning 1 year later and are now Super Bowl contenders in coach's 2nd year.
                        2008 Dolphins: New coach, new QB (veteran), 2007 1-15, 2008 11-5 win division
                        2008 Ravens: New coach, new rookie QB, 2007 5-11, 2008 11-5, playoffs & with the coach & QB they've been contenders ever since the change.
                        I could go on, but I think my point about the 3 year nonsense is proven, and if you still have any doubts that you can turn a team around in far less than 3 years, then explain how 2 expansion teams in 1995 made it to the conference championship games in 1996.

Now look at Bills history with coaches 3 years or less on the job. Do you really think more time would have helped: Williams, Bullough, Stephenson, Ringo, Johnson, Rauch, Collier and Ramsey? About the only guy you could make a case for is Mularkey & he quit. All the others never got another NFL HC gig again.
                        Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                          I think the money's about to dry up... hard to keep repackaging the same product and expect even a faithful fan base to come back. They're going to have to perform now to sell tickets... that's my point - there will be nothing to shield anyone of their failings if they continue next year. Not Chan, not Buddy, not Fitz... all will have to earn it if they hope to have a future. I know many will say that's already come and passed, but not in old Ralphie's eyes. I'm sure he's completely set, or at least mostly set, on bringing back the band for one more run. So be it... then we'll know for sure. In the meantime I hope we get one of Teo, Ogletree or Geno when we're picking at #14 since we ended up winning 3 of our last 5 when it didn't matter. Missing out on a difference maker in April would salt the wound that much more.
                          Well, the game this Sunday against the Rams is sold out & will be televised. If the Bills finish the season strong & have a good offseason, the faithful fan base will be back.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                            Bull ****! If you think this team is exiting you're crazy.
                            Bull**** my A**. You must have a very poor memory if you don't think Chans Bills are much more exciting than Dicks Bills.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

You people are crazy.

Well, the mast is broken and there's a giant hole in the hull, so righting the ship is impossible. You can bail water out with buckets or try to sail on what's left of the mast but you're gonna sink eventually no matter what you do. Gailey was a bad pick from the start and nothing can be done to fix it except replace him.

animal-house-all-is-well.jpg All is Well! DO NOT PANIC!
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
                                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                                Well, Chan may have won less games than Dick, but I would rather watch Chans Bills lose than watch Jaurons teams win, the Jauron Bills were so BORING to watch. At least Chans Bills are exciting to watch.
                                Yeah...watching 20 screen plays a game is so exciting!
                                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X