• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Why the Gailey Hate

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
    Yeah, at least Gailey had more sense than to start Edwards.

Wait, no that's wrong. I remember. Fitz was the starter at the end of '09 and Gailey resurrected that bum.
    Well, Fitz was only the starter at the end of 09 because Jauron had been fired. If Jauron was still HC of the Bills today, Trent would still be his starter. Trent fooled Chan with his good play in practice & meaningless games, but at least when the live bullets started to fly, Chan had the good sense to not only bench Trent, but to cut him as well.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
      If we had the last 3 years to do over...we shouldn't have bothered even firing Jauron.

It's a lot easier to win when you're not giving up 30 points regularly.

And we would have definitely seen a lot more of CJ Spiller, if we had drafted him, than we do now.
      lol. Trent would be a our qb and we still wouldn't come close to beating the pats and the browns would still owned our arse. Dick couldnt beat the browns remember?

And no. Dick would have continued to use Lynch (who was underachieving under Dick) even if we drafted Spiller. Dick kept using his prized possession in Lynch even though Fred was the better rb.
      Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gebobs
        One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
        Well, Fitz was only the starter at the end of 09 because Jauron had been fired.
        Well, yeah...kinda. Jauron did start Fitz a few games because Edwards had a hangnail I think. As soon as he recovered from his booboo, Mauron put him back in.

Good thinking, Dick. You're fired! LOL

But my main point was that dumbass Gailey went back to Edwards when everyone and their mother knew what a putz he was.
        Last edited by gebobs; 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM.
        Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
          lol. Trent would be a our qb and we still wouldn't come close to beating the pats and the browns would still owned our arse. Dick couldnt beat the browns remember?

And no. Dick would have continued to use Lynch (who was underachieving under Dick) even if we drafted Spiller. Dick kept using his prized possession in Lynch even though Fred was the better rb.

Who cares what back would be running the ball? We'd at least be playing to the strength of the offense which is something that Jauron did do. Last Sunday was typically gameplanned the way Jauron gameplanned games. Abuse the strength - RBs, Hide the flaws - QB. It took Chan into his third season to figure out what Jauron was doing from the start with Losman.

While obviously Fitz is better than Losman, it's not saying much because even Trent was better than Losman.

Oh and at beating the Pats once as a reason to give Chan a feather in his cap. We've given away victories against them this year in almost as bad of fashion as McKelvin fumbling the kickoff. Who's been better overall in the division? I'll give you a hint, it's not Chan. Who's been better overall against the NFL? Another hint, it's not Chan.

This is not directing at you Justa but I'm just too lazy to multiquote - That 3rd and 9 dumpoff point is one of the most idiotic points ever. The Ravens had 4th and 30 against the Chargers and dumped it down to a RB who *gasp* made a play. Then again, maybe people around here think Stevie, CJ and Freddie cannot make plays. Just like back then with Dick, apparently Evans, Lynch and Jackson couldn't make plays.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

i think trent was a ralph meddling thing. i think chan and nix said, 'we'll let your guy play for a few weeks. if results are there, we'll go, and if they aren't, we will bail'.

it's that or trent is one amazing practice guy and then regresses come game time when the heat comes. which i could totally believe.

Comment

• gebobs
              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
              i think trent was a ralph meddling thing. i think chan and nix said, 'we'll let your guy play for a few weeks. if results are there, we'll go, and if they aren't, we will bail'.
              That's certainly a possibility though I haven't heard anything that confirms it.

Regardless, I'd rather have a coach with the backbone to stand up to the owner and say, "I've been at this a long time. I know what I'm doing. I am an expert at evaluating talent. Trent got his fair shot and he's just not going to pan out. Ryan has shown a bit more. We're going to see what he's got and Trent is going to the bench."

I'd like to know what the story was. Anyone with more than half a brain could see what a schmoe Edwards was.
              Last edited by gebobs; 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM.
              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Who cares what back would be running the ball? We'd at least be playing to the strength of the offense which is something that Jauron did do.

Are you kidding me? What was the highest the bills offense ranked under Dick? What was the highest the D ever ranked under Dick? Dick CHOSE Trent over Fitz. He chose Lynch over FJ. So how is that playing to your strengths(although not much but that's Dicks choice) when the strength of you team is sitting on the bench?

Dicks playing not to lose worked to a certain degree but that philosophy went down the toilet as proven by the decline of the team in the year he was fired.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Are you kidding me? What was the highest the bills offense ranked under Dick? What was the highest the D ever ranked under Dick? Dick CHOSE Trent over Fitz. He chose Lynch over FJ. So how is that playing to your strengths(although not much but that's Dicks choice) when the strength of you team is sitting on the bench?

Dicks playing not to lose worked to a certain degree but that philosophy went down the toilet as proven by the decline of the team in the year he was fired.
                  lets not forget that TO was just running routes under Dick. He came alive when Dick was fired and Fewell started Fitz. While TO wasnt what he once was, he was still a weapon that wasn't used under Dick. Lee Evans was also a weapon who wasn't used to his full potential because Dick had Capt. checkdown throwing the ball. So your opinion about Dick using the strengths of the offense is sooooo wrong.
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                    Thirteen years without a playoff berth and yet we're the crazy ones? Why, because we expect better results from Chan Gailey in year three?

Newsflash, guy. If a coach can't get it done in year three, chances are, his blueprint is flawed. I bet you could give Chan an entire decade and he'd still never break .500.

I'd respond to you point by point but Albany,n.y. already mopped the floor with you in post #41.
                    Newsflash lol and someone mopped the floor wow you guys are gangsta sitting there behind your keyboard.

I will refrain from a message board war because I have better things to do than try to prove someone wrong.

Everyone has their opinions and I am not trying to change just trying to figure it out

You claim 13 years of no playoffs well newsflash 10 of those years he and Nix have nothing to do with.

Newsflash our offense and defense rankings are as a combined average total are better than the previous 10 years. Newsflash we average almost 25 points a game did not do that at all in previous 10 years.

Also the best part of your post was you said I would give Gailey a decade, no I said one more year and a minimum of 9 wins in 2013 or he and his staff are gone. I would give Nix another coach hire, I personally like his drafts and the players he is picking. They all have one thing in common and on distinct difference to the previous decade all the players have been productive in college for more than one year.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                      Of course a guy can come in & rebuild in less than 3 years! All the Bills need to win are a QB & a competent coaching staff. Select the right coach & QB, re-sign the key free agents and this team is a winner next season. Stay the course with Gailey & Fitzpatrick & we're a loser again. This is the 21st century-rookie QBs come in and teams go from losers to winners the very next season-just look at what a new coach & QB are doing in Indy & the coach has been ill virtually the whole season. Look at the recent 1 season turn arounds & wake up to this 3 year nonsense:
                      2012 Colts: New coach, new rookie QB: 2-14 in 2011, playoffs 2012
                      2012 Rams: New coach, same QB but not injured for 6 games, 2011 2-14, 2012 5-6-1 so far, major improvement
                      2011 49ers: New coach, same QB, 2010 6-10, 2011 13-3 makes it all the way to NFC championship game
                      2011 Broncos: New coach, new starting QB, 2010 4-12, 2011 8-8 win division & playoff game, show enough to attract P. Manning 1 year later and are now Super Bowl contenders in coach's 2nd year.
                      2008 Dolphins: New coach, new QB (veteran), 2007 1-15, 2008 11-5 win division
                      2008 Ravens: New coach, new rookie QB, 2007 5-11, 2008 11-5, playoffs & with the coach & QB they've been contenders ever since the change.
                      I could go on, but I think my point about the 3 year nonsense is proven, and if you still have any doubts that you can turn a team around in far less than 3 years, then explain how 2 expansion teams in 1995 made it to the conference championship games in 1996.

Now look at Bills history with coaches 3 years or less on the job. Do you really think more time would have helped: Williams, Bullough, Stephenson, Ringo, Johnson, Rauch, Collier and Ramsey? About the only guy you could make a case for is Mularkey & he quit. All the others never got another NFL HC gig again.
                      Fantastic job listing 5 examples of a new coach inheriting a bad team in previous years and turning them around. Granted the Colts and Rams have not made the playoffs, colts probably will Rams will not.

One other thing you missed is that those teams with the exception of the colts were elite on one side of the ball and NEWSFLASH (love that word) all the talent on that side of the ball was drafted by the previous regime.

49ners hire an Offensive coach but they have the best defense in the league
                      Broncos hire def coach and have top 5 def and best running game in the league
                      Dolphins got lucky because Brady went down for year and bills and jets were terrible that year
                      Ravens elite defense and great running game a rookie QBs best friend

The only one that breaks this mold is this years Colts and guess what they just happened to draft the highest rated QB prospect to come out since 83 John Elway so please stop...

Those turnarounds have more to do with talent on the team than it does coaching.

Yes coaching is important as Harbough developed a system around Smith's strengths and did not ask him to do much at all, so yes great coaching.

Now I agree previous regimes with the exception of Mularky were horrible. I really think had Mularky stayed and we hired a legit GM we would ahve been in the playoffs by now.

Ralph screwed up several times no doubt but I love the hire of Nix because he is a scout has a proven track record and was also a head coach and an assistant under some really good coaches so he has some knowledge in that aspect as well.

No I was not enamored by the Gailey hire but I do like that he gives us a chance on offense every weak with our bad QB. He seems to have answers and plays to his players strengths does not ask them to do things they can not do. Def was horrible early in the year but has steadily progressed and maybe it has to do with new scheme clicking, Mario healthy, and young players getting over making mistakes and learning.

4 games left if we finish 8-8 or better that is improvement and deserves praise. If you look at history there are more cases of bad teams building and transitioning to becoming a winning team than the cases you mentioned of instant turnaround.

I would also like to point out that the colts were a 13 win team with Peyton the year before and then all of sudden are a 1 win team. Yeah they did not tank for luck at all.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                        Fantastic job listing 5 examples of a new coach inheriting a bad team in previous years and turning them around. Granted the Colts and Rams have not made the playoffs, colts probably will Rams will not.

One other thing you missed is that those teams with the exception of the colts were elite on one side of the ball and NEWSFLASH (love that word) all the talent on that side of the ball was drafted by the previous regime.

49ners hire an Offensive coach but they have the best defense in the league
                        Broncos hire def coach and have top 5 def and best running game in the league
                        Dolphins got lucky because Brady went down for year and bills and jets were terrible that year
                        Ravens elite defense and great running game a rookie QBs best friend

The only one that breaks this mold is this years Colts and guess what they just happened to draft the highest rated QB prospect to come out since 83 John Elway so please stop...

Those turnarounds have more to do with talent on the team than it does coaching.

Yes coaching is important as Harbough developed a system around Smith's strengths and did not ask him to do much at all, so yes great coaching.

Now I agree previous regimes with the exception of Mularky were horrible. I really think had Mularky stayed and we hired a legit GM we would ahve been in the playoffs by now.

Ralph screwed up several times no doubt but I love the hire of Nix because he is a scout has a proven track record and was also a head coach and an assistant under some really good coaches so he has some knowledge in that aspect as well.

No I was not enamored by the Gailey hire but I do like that he gives us a chance on offense every weak with our bad QB. He seems to have answers and plays to his players strengths does not ask them to do things they can not do. Def was horrible early in the year but has steadily progressed and maybe it has to do with new scheme clicking, Mario healthy, and young players getting over making mistakes and learning.

4 games left if we finish 8-8 or better that is improvement and deserves praise. If you look at history there are more cases of bad teams building and transitioning to becoming a winning team than the cases you mentioned of instant turnaround.

I would also like to point out that the colts were a 13 win team with Peyton the year before and then all of sudden are a 1 win team. Yeah they did not tank for luck at all.
                        With respect to your comments regarding the 2011 49ers and Broncos, I note the following:

49ers - Drafted some nobody named Aldon Smith (30+ sacks in first two seasons) and inserted 2010 3rd round draft pick previously in back-up role into starting D line-up with great success. In addition, made smart free agent acquisitions by bringing in new #1 corner (Rogers) and starting safety (Whitner) while drafting secondary depth (including nickelback). Also, in prior season to new regime the defense was middle of the back in terms of yards per game and points per game, and we all know moving up from mediocre to excellent is much harder than going from terrible to mediocre.

Broncos - Had the 26th rated running game in the league prior to new regime (and their leading rusher was an awful Moreno), so obviously the new regime needed to bring in a new tailback, etc. Also the defense prior to Fox's arrival was ranked LAST in yards and points per game!!!!!! Had to have the smarts to draft Von Miller, insert Woodyard into starting line-up and revamp aging secondary and defenive line. Not to mention find a QB. Fox, it should be noted, had the whereithal and foresight to bench a mediocre veteran (Orton, who is a clone of Fitz) and revamp his offense first around Tebow and now around Manning. This is inconstrast to Gailey who plugs round pegs into square holes.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

all i'm saying is that from a fans perspective it was getting clearer to start fitz over edwards. but if you are the coach, edwards is probably the better qb arm wise. he can make the throws...he chose not to. I'm sure, you want to "coach" him to play better. but after the first two weeks, it was clear he wasn't to change his style...so they changed to a weaker QB but a better field general

but that story is playing out again. fitz is tapped out. he hit his ceiling. even getting him to play mistake free boring football makes it hard on the running game...which still succeeds. you get a mildly better qb, and i think this offense get become dominating if the coach doesn't make bone headed mistakes at key moments.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

The strength of the offense when Dick was here was running the football. We ran the football plenty. He hid Losman as much as possible and then hid Edwards as much as possible. TO was a useless signing other than to sell some jerseys and tickets.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

The strength of the offense when Dick was here was running the football. We ran the football plenty. He hid Losman as much as possible and then hid Edwards as much as possible. TO was a useless signing other than to sell some jerseys and tickets.
                              TO was a usless signing because Trent couldn't/wouldn't throw him the ball.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                                • Jul 2002

I've posted the nos in the past about the TD's going up when Fitz was the qb.

So why then did Dick ask to sign TO? If running was our strength then he could have saved that roster spot and used it to bolster our running game even further.TO signing wasn't useless. Dick made it useless with his play not to lose philosophy.

The entire team played better when Fewell was the Coach.

Dick held this team back. Doesn't matter if our running game was our so called strength because his philosophy was weakness of this team. Teams PUBLICLY said they knew what was coming under Dick.

Once again, how does practicing vs the 4-3 when your team is playing a 3-4 D play to our strength? Your offense becomes totally clueless on gameday.
                                Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM.
                                sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                                X