• Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Goodell wants to eliminate kickoffs

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
    Of course.

As a fan I'm willing to delude myself, I just need something plausible. I can't watch boxing anymore because all I see is brain damage. But I can still watch MMA, because although the fighters still get KO'd the lack of a standing eight count dramatically reduces the post KO punches. Logical? Not really but it's plausible enough that I can watch for now. In a few years if all the current champs are punchy, I probably won't keep watching.

I really love watching football, but as the evidence mounts it's getting tougher to be a fan. I just need something to latch on to that's plausible and I'm more than happy to contribute my share to the revenue stream.
    Actually, you're a bit off on the boxing/MMA thing. The reason there are less concussions/brain damage in MMA than boxing is because there are fewer repeated blows to the head. In MMA, you can strike the whole body, legs included, and the gloves are smaller, making knockouts easier. Getting knocked out after 40 or 50 blows to the head is far worse for the brain than 2 or 3 love taps followed by a hard knockout shot. Combine that with the fact that MMA utilizes submissions and some guys don't even go for knockouts, and you have a sport that's much safer for the brain (although much more hazardous for the rest of the body, but most of that is far easier to fix than the brain).
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Pretty sure that's an exaggeration, but if anybody has any reliable statistics that 'most' suffer 'severe' brain damage I'd like to see it.

I also think it's a little inaccurate to state fans won't watch because of the threat of a 'slow death'. I would tend to think that a good percentage watch violent sports in anticipation of witnessing the big hit in football, crushing check in hockey, fiery crash in NASCAR etc, and possibly an equal or slightly larger percentage don't consider it a factor at all.

Next, although the players of the past may have a beef over being ignorant to long-term effects that some may eventually suffer, that's no excuse for the current crop of professionals and hasn't been for a few years...they know what they are getting into and they know the risks involved.

Finally, just IMO, MMA is the most violent and unwatchable 'sport' I've ever witnessed, have watched very, very little of it in the past and have no desire to watch it in the future at all and it's so obvious that the risk of long term affects are probably pretty high, so from my perspective I find it slightly incredulous that somebody can rail against boxing and football but maintain viewing MMA is still bearable until the participants inevitably start suffering from the damage.
      So obvious that they are probably pretty high? A lot of non-committal qualifiers in that statement. See my previous post.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        Actually, you're a bit off on the boxing/MMA thing. The reason there are less concussions/brain damage in MMA than boxing is because there are fewer repeated blows to the head. In MMA, you can strike the whole body, legs included, and the gloves are smaller, making knockouts easier. Getting knocked out after 40 or 50 blows to the head is far worse for the brain than 2 or 3 love taps followed by a hard knockout shot. Combine that with the fact that MMA utilizes submissions and some guys don't even go for knockouts, and you have a sport that's much safer for the brain (although much more hazardous for the rest of the body, but most of that is far easier to fix than the brain).
        Since you've done some MMA sparring, do you wear head gear when you spar like in boxing?
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          Since you've done some MMA sparring, do you wear head gear when you spar like in boxing?
          At the place I train, head gear is optional for adults. It used to be optional for the kids, but now the owner/head trainer is starting to require it.

I don't wear it, but we are pretty controlled when we spar anyway. We don't kick or knee the head in practice and we usually only hit with 16 oz boxing gloves- not the 4 oz MMA gloves. The only time it gets out of control is when the fighters have fights coming up and we are helping them get ready.
          Last edited by OpIv37; 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            I'll have to read the details of the study later, but it would be interesting to know how random the selection of the football players were. Pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to put together twice as many players (35 is a very small number compared to the total, which one would think the descriptive 'most' would be relative to) that show no symptoms of brain damage at all, let alone damage classified as 'severe'.
            It certainly isn't random, since it's a post mortem examination. But the fact that the injury can also be seen in college and high school athletes points to a common problem. Whether you think those symptoms warrant the descriptor "severe" is a matter of opinion.

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Goodell's idea stinks. Kickoffs are exciting. With all the money the NFL makes they're still using extremely dated helmet technology, no excuse for it but getting helmets that actually protect the head would address the larger issue of head trauma in football which my guess is substantially underestimated. It's like the oil companies using plastic boom to control oil spills, embarrassing.

But speaking of kicking, they need to narrow the goalposts and move the extra point back 10 yards. The extra point is silly now very very rarely missed, I'd like to see 10% or so missed, otherwise it's a waste of time. And kickers are so good now the kicks need to be made harder so teams will be more tempted to go for it.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                Want to eliminate the head injuries or considerably lower them?

Take away the helmets.

It's that simple.
                You're just trading one type of head injury for another there. Before helmets, skull fractures, broken noses, broken teeth, etc were all serious concerns. I say they need to force everyone to wear those great gazoo helmets like Mark Kelso. It takes away the ability to use the helmet like a weapon, so they won't.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  At the place I train, head gear is optional for adults. It used to be optional for the kids, but now the owner/head trainer is starting to require it.

I don't wear it, but we are pretty controlled when we spar anyway. We don't kick or knee the head in practice and we usually only hit with 16 oz boxing gloves- not the 4 oz MMA gloves. The only time it gets out of control is when the fighters have fights coming up and we are helping them get ready.
                  So with the lack of head gear beaing worn does that not level the disparity that you mentioned earlier some?
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• k-oneputt
                    • Jun 2009

Never happen.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

So with the lack of head gear beaing worn does that not level the disparity that you mentioned earlier some?
                      The way we usually spar? I don't think so. I mean, there are risks involved but we aren't repeatedly firing shots into each other's heads. If you hurt your training partners, then you have no one to train with.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

I think my biggest issue is the turnover factor that comes with kickoffs. My good friend George was a wedge breaker and ended up actually playing a year of college ball at Bucknell as a DE because of it; but man, he would sprint as hard as he could and flatten the returner with a clean, shoulder to gut hit. Never injured anybody, but usually knocked the ball loose and gave great field position.

Screw that punt/whatever noise, it's essentially what a pee-wee football team would do, and I seriously wouldn't watch professional football anymore.
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                          You're just trading one type of head injury for another there. Before helmets, skull fractures, broken noses, broken teeth, etc were all serious concerns. I say they need to force everyone to wear those great gazoo helmets like Mark Kelso. It takes away the ability to use the helmet like a weapon, so they won't.
                          That's seriously not a half-bad idea. Protection on both ends. Miss the ol' Great...
                          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

The increase in revenue the league is seeing this year due to extra thursday night games did not have a large impact on the cap so the league may be making billions more as you say but the players aren't seeing that increase as of now. - - Updated - - -
                            Possibly- but the Thursday games make the entire package as a whole that more valuable. The question is- would Ed Reed trade in the Millions for an easy schedule?

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                              I think my biggest issue is the turnover factor that comes with kickoffs. My good friend George was a wedge breaker and ended up actually playing a year of college ball at Bucknell as a DE because of it; but man, he would sprint as hard as he could and flatten the returner with a clean, shoulder to gut hit. Never injured anybody, but usually knocked the ball loose and gave great field position.

Screw that punt/whatever noise, it's essentially what a pee-wee football team would do, and I seriously wouldn't watch professional football anymore.

You would actually stop watching NFL football if kickoffs were replaced.

So what are you and Nathan Lane gonna do during Superbowl Sunday?

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                                The Voice of Reason
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dozerdog View Post
                                You would actually stop watching NFL football if kickoffs were replaced.

So what are you and Nathan Lane gonna do during Superbowl Sunday?
                                Nathan Lane? Seriously? A great actor who is openly gay... OH WOW great joke. I get it. We'll probably make out and my wife will cook dinner. Or maybe he'd like to watch the media circus of SB commercials like my wife does as we fondle each other's nether regions. Did I mention I'm married? If you want to play paddy-cake with the sped neighbor that's on you sweetheart, at least I enjoy my hard hitting football.
                                Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡