Goodell wants to eliminate kickoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Goodell wants to eliminate kickoffs

In all seriousness- the history of football has had to make major changes to survive

Teddy Roosevelt- probably the biggest "Man's man" to be president- saved the game that was almost outlawed because college kids were getting killed. 18 deaths in 1 year alone. He put together a think tank that looked at the rules, improved safety, and made the game more of what it is today. I'm sure back then there were folks who thought the game would turn into a "game for pussies"

Kickoffs would be missed- but I'd rather trade the KO to keep the game successful

( )Nobody knows when the NFL will play its next game. The owners have locked out the players, and part or all of the 2011 season could be lost. We have a pretty good idea of what the NFL’s next pla…

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

the proposed idea would make two score games much more intriguing. the odds of converting a fourth and 15 are a lot better than trying to get onside kick. it would be interesting to see how the 4th and 15 works time wise. if you convert the first down, does the clock start running? because on a kickoff, the clock stops once the runner is down.

So if you were down 14 with 2 minutes to go, it isn't so much a death sentence, because if you can score, you have a shot to get the 15 or more with essentially a time out. and if you convert it and the clock stops because of the rules or because the receiver went out of bounds, you are now in hail mary range in the worst case scenario. something to think about for sure.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
        It certainly isn't random, since it's a post mortem examination. But the fact that the injury can also be seen in college and high school athletes points to a common problem. Whether you think those symptoms warrant the descriptor "severe" is a matter of opinion.
        Pretty sure 'severe' is a specific medical classification for brain trauma, not a matter of opinion. Could be wrong, though.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mike
          • Jan 2009

The Real is issue at the end of the day, the long term issue is not player safety as much as it is having great players in 20 years. Right now the NFL is facing two major challenge:

1) Player Safety: The real issue is not weather Ed Reed gets injured on Sunday, no! The real issue is weather or not you allow your kid to play football on Monday. The more the public becomes aware of concussions and the potential brain damage the less likely they are going to allow their kids to play football at a young age or at all. Further, the more dangerous it is, the less likely small league, and high schools will take on such a liability.

2) Exercise: Have you seen the Play 60 commercials? When most of us were kids, playing games and sports was a normal part of the day. Now, most kids prefer playing video games, watching, TV, etc. Obesity, diabetes, is soaring among young kids these days largely due to diet and lack of exercise.

- Combine these two issues where many kinds are not playing sports and the few that do might not be allowed to play football by their parents or not provided by their schools and what do you have? Soccer type talent, which in itself can bring down the game of football. Further, unlike most other sports, the NFL gets its players exclusively from the US, so if the talent dries up here so will the game.
          Last edited by Mike; 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM.
          Please Make Sense

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Did you find the Kevin Everett play entertaining? I sure didn't, and I hate watching replays of it. If that type of injury happened on a weekly basis I wouldn't watch football anymore.
            If injuries like Kevin Everett's happened on a weekly basis, would you still watch? I'm sure there is a contingent of fans that still would, but I wouldn't be among them.
            Two more points regarding the Everett comments specifically...

1-Typical argument for some with certain leanings....expecting governance based on the exception, not the rule.

2-Darryl Stingley was paralyzed reaching for a pass. Dennis Byrd rushing the QB. All of the them (including Everett) suffered injuries far more serious than a 'typical' concussion, so I'm not sure why Everett is even being brought into the conversation (other than he was injured on a kicking play). If Everett is a poster boy for eliminating kick-offs, where has all of the concern been over the last 34 years for the safety of other players injured on plays other than kicks? What would you like to eliminate next...rushing the passer? Downfield passing? Defense, altogether?

Hell, nobody but purists or old-schoolers are *****ing about all of the rules changes opening up the offenses and creating more situations where a player could get severely injured on a pass play, which as noted earlier obviously happens.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Since the Everett point was brought up...

Eliminate rushing the QB because of what happened to Theismann.

Eliminate tackling a ball carrier because of what happened to Bo Jackson.

Eliminate passing because of what happened to Stingley.

Eliminate blocking because of what happened to Utley.

Eliminate extra points because of what happened to Gronkowski.

You can go on and on and on...where does it end?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                • May 2009

The owners should eliminate Goodell before he ruins the most popular sport in America.

Comment

• jimmifli
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  Two more points regarding the Everett comments specifically...

1-Typical argument for some with certain leanings....expecting governance based on the exception, not the rule.

2-Darryl Stingley was paralyzed reaching for a pass. Dennis Byrd rushing the QB. All of the them (including Everett) suffered injuries far more serious than a 'typical' concussion, so I'm not sure why Everett is even being brought into the conversation (other than he was injured on a kicking play). If Everett is a poster boy for eliminating kick-offs, where has all of the concern been over the last 34 years for the safety of other players injured on plays other than kicks? What would you like to eliminate next...rushing the passer? Downfield passing? Defense, altogether?
                  I brought up Kevin Everett as an example of how player injuries diminish the entertainment of the game. As fans we all understand how severe and life altering spinal injuries are. And witnessing such injuries makes it harder to enjoy a football game as a fun distraction on Sunday. This is used as a comparison for concussions, since repeated head trauma also been shown to cause sever life altering injuries.

I would have thought attempting to make ****ty arguments based on your perception of my politics would be beneath you as a poster, but apparantly not. I'm not advocating government intervention. But the game is played my millions of children, and the evidence of CTE in highschool players will bring attention. If congress can spend a few years chasing MacGuire, Bonds and Clemons over steroids - all in the name of protecting children, they'll do it to NFL and NCAA over head injuries as well. And that says nothing of the lawsuits the NFL is facing from retired players. Burying your head in the sand and expecting nobody to notice the problem is a recipe for disaster, I'd rather have people that know and love football making changes rather than being forced by judges or lawmakers.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of this rule, I don't think it actually does much for player safety. I am though, a fan of changing rules to decrease the severity and frequency of head injuries. And I'm glad that Goodell seems willing to consider significant changes to the game to make brain safety a priority, even if this rule misses the mark.

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    Pretty sure 'severe' is a specific medical classification for brain trauma, not a matter of opinion. Could be wrong, though.
                    I wasn't aware. If you're able to provide a link I'll reword my post.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=jimmifli;3722471]I brought up Kevin Everett as an example of how player injuries diminish the entertainment of the game. As fans we all understand how severe and life altering spinal injuries are. And witnessing such injuries makes it harder to enjoy a football game as a fun distraction on Sunday.[quote]

Of course they do, of course they are, and of course they do. But they are part of the game and always will be. Injuries can never be removed entirely from any physical activity.

This is used as a comparison for concussions, since repeated head trauma also been shown to cause sever life altering injuries.
                      Well it's a bad comparison, IMO. Where is all of the concern for the aging vets who are now crippled because of repeated trauma to their knees?

I would have thought attempting to make ****ty arguments based on your perception of my politics would be beneath you as a poster, but apparantly not. I'm not advocating government intervention.
                      Well, sometimes things just have to be pointed out. 'Governing' is not restricted to politics, and no policy, rule or legislation will ever be able to account for every imaginable incident. No one can account for everything, or prevent everything from occurring. There are always going to be exceptions to the rules, and attempting to cover every exception is an effort in futility and poor oversight.

But the game is played my millions of children, and the evidence of CTE in highschool players will bring attention.
                      It already has...the biggest current athletic issue at the HS level at the moment, and not restricted to football. Still, parents and students have a choice, also, with much less reward vs far greater risk than professional athletes.

If congress can spend a few years chasing MacGuire, Bonds and Clemons over steroids - all in the name of protecting children, they'll do it to NFL and NCAA over head injuries as well.
                      Granted.

And that says nothing of the lawsuits the NFL is facing from retired players. Burying your head in the sand and expecting nobody to notice the problem is a recipe for disaster, I'd rather have people that know and love football making changes rather than being forced by judges or lawmakers.
                      I can agree with that.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of this rule, I don't think it actually does much for player safety. I am though, a fan of changing rules to decrease the severity and frequency of head injuries. And I'm glad that Goodell seems willing to consider significant changes to the game to make brain safety a priority, even if this rule misses the mark.
                      Don't know if I can agree with this, though. An ineffective rule is worthless, and reeks more of positive publicity than actually addressing the issue.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I wasn't aware. If you're able to provide a link I'll reword my post.
                        Glasgow Coma Scale (Minor, moderate, severe).
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                          • Jan 2010

Modern athletic training has taken the modern athlete past the point that football can be played safely. They're too big strong and fast. The lifetime accumulation of hits guarantee severe brain damage for most professional football players. Fans won't watch if they know their heroes are being slowly killed. They need at least the illusion of safety.

The concussion problem the NFL faces is big enough to take down the game of football. I'm glad Goodell is trying to address it before he's forced to by lawmakers.
                          why hasnt it taken down ufc or boxing? hockey? total bs. its called being a pussy.... if you dont like the risk, dont play... simple as that.
                          Last edited by NOT THE DUDE...; 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Bills41
                            • Jan 2003

That would be stupid to eliminate kickoffs!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍