Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A.J. Smith: Bring him back/would he come back?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A.J. Smith: Bring him back/would he come back?

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, I disagree. As I said Butler & Nix had more to do with building the Chargers than Smith. Since Nix left, the Chargers draft has been terrible.

Think about the talent Smith let get away with no return in the last 10 years.
    Marty Schottenheimer, Drew Brees, Michael Turner, Darren Sproles, Vincent Jackson.
    Smith gave up a 2nd rnd pick, TWO 3rd rnd picks & a 5th rnd pick to draft Eric Weddle. Was he worth all that? Ans: Hell NO
    Nix didn't come to Buffalo until 2009. Weddle was drafted in 2007. Thus, if you are giving Nix credit for the good San Deigo drafts in the middle of the decade, your criticism of the Weddle pick is on him too. Actually, Weddle has earned that status, he is one of the best in the NFL at his position.

San Diego's drafts were very good through 2006, but went to crap after that. Nix was there when they busted taking Buster Davis in the 1st in 2007. Nix was there for their down draft in 2008. It wasn't like things started going south as soon as Nix left.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    Nix didn't come to Buffalo until 2009. Weddle was drafted in 2007. Thus, if you are giving Nix credit for the good San Deigo drafts in the middle of the decade, your criticism of the Weddle pick is on him too. Actually, Weddle has earned that status, he is one of the best in the NFL at his position.

San Diego's drafts were very good through 2006, but went to crap after that. Nix was there when they busted taking Buster Davis in the 1st in 2007. Nix was there for their down draft in 2008. It wasn't like things started going south as soon as Nix left.

Nix left the Chargers after the 2007 draft & was not working when he came to Buffalo. 8 players drafted by the Chargers in 07 made the 2008 probowl. Weddle is a good player, & I'm sure Nix told that to Smith, but knowing Buddy, I doubt Nix would have given up all those draft picks for him like Smith did. Look at the Chargers draft from 2008 on after Nix left, terrible.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nix is terrible, AJ smith is world's apart worse. No way in hell should the Bills bring back Smith.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Nix left the Chargers after the 2007 draft & was not working when he came to Buffalo..
    From the team website:

Over the past eight years Nix had run the player personnel department for the San Diego Chargers, which covered both pro and college scouting, before electing to retire following the 2008 NFL draft last April.
    http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...3-31d6eb7f9180

You can't give Nix all the credit for San Diego's good picks while relieving him of any bad moves. He didn't do it all.

Nix wasn't even involved in college scouting prior to 2002. He was pro personnel director prior to Butler's death, when he became Smith's assistant GM. Somehow they managed to draft pretty well anyway, with selections like Drew Brees in 2001.

Seeing people give Nix all the credit for good drafts in San Diego reminds me of how they used to say Tom Modrak built the championship Steeler's teams. He was a cog in the machine, and like Nix couldn't get the job done when he got promoted to more responsibility.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    From the team website:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...3-31d6eb7f9180

You can't give Nix all the credit for San Diego's good picks while relieving him of any bad moves. He didn't do it all.

Nix wasn't even involved in college scouting prior to 2002. He was pro personnel director prior to Butler's death, when he became Smith's assistant GM. Somehow they managed to draft pretty well anyway, with selections like Drew Brees in 2001.

Seeing people give Nix all the credit for good drafts in San Diego reminds me of how they used to say Tom Modrak built the championship Steeler's teams. He was a cog in the machine, and like Nix couldn't get the job done when he got promoted to more responsibility.
    I didn't give Nix all the credit, I said Butler & Nix BOTH deserved credit. It was speculated Nix was forced out in S.D. & even though his "retirement" was announced after the 2008 draft, one can only speculate how much imput he had in that draft. The fact Randy Mueller was hired immediately, my speculation would be that Nix had very little involvement in that draft.

And if you want to involve Nix in that draft fine, look at the Chargers drafts from 2009 on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This thread is poinless anyway. There is no way in hell Ralph would rehire Smith after Smith turned the Bills GM job down when Butler left for S.D. & he followed Butler there instead of accepting the Bills GM job. After his performance in S.D. I doubt any other team will offer him a job either.

7. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (12-07-2012)