2013 - Free Agents. Who should the Bills go after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: 2013 - Free Agents. Who should the Bills go after?

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    The Bills will already have signed their own by the time free agency rolls around.

Next.
    Urbik, McMarbles, Levitre and Byrd all resign?

i hope you're right.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      Dwayne Bowe would probably be at the very top of my free agent wish list. If we could land him I wouldn't care if are only other free agents additions were just some affordable depth players.

We really need another legit WR and a rookie could take time to develop or be a bust. QB and LB free agent options don't look that good, so I'd rather focus on those positions early in the draft and remove WR from the list of needs via free agency.
      Bowe is familiar with Chan so I don't think the transition in learning Chans system will take long.

Plus, Nelson will be back. I like!
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

i dont need to see a big name signed this offseason. i'd just like a lot of depth added. and then see the draft get the qb we need. not to take a qb for qb sake, but to get the best one we can.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          • May 2009

Originally posted by coastal View Post

i hope you're right.
          Urbik is a RFA. Byrd will get franchised if he can't be signed before FA and I believe Levitre will get signed.

Comment

• GingerP
            • Aug 2012

Urbik is a RFA. Byrd will get franchised if he can't be signed before FA and I believe Levitre will get signed.
            Urbik was a restricted free agent last year and was tendered a one-year deal by the Bills:

Though he didn't play at all his rookie season (2009), he was on the Steelers roster and earned a year toward free agency. He will be unrestricted after this season.

I think it makes sense to make a hard push to sign Levitre to an extension first, as the tag is a greater value for S. Either way, they probably make a strong effort to keep both players before next March. I don't think it is time to panic, there is plenty of time.

Comment

• Ed
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post

i hope you're right.
              I don't know if they'll want to bring back McKelvin, but there's no reason they can't have these guys back. The Bills can free up money by not bringing back certain players.

It looks like Thigpen and Spencer Johnson's contract are both up, which cost them about 6.5 mil this season.
              Kir Morrison's release saves them about 1.5 mil.
              Cutting Kelsay would save about 4.2 mil.
              Cutting McGee saves another 2.1 mil.
              Cutting George Wilson saves about 3.4 mil.
              Cutting Brad Smith could save about 2.8 mil.

They have options. If Nix wants to keep those guys they can make it work. They're probably not going to be able to make a huge splash like they did last year, but they should have enough flexibility to sign their own and make some moves in free agency.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Like I said I hope you're right.

to me it's more of a question of whether they even want to be here.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

The Bills have a number of needs this off season. Some of these needs could be filled through free agency. I am going to list the guys who I think the Bills should go after. I know signing every one of these guys is not realistic. What do you guys think the Bills should do?

I consider each of these positions necessity needs for us, in order of importance.

QB: The only quarterback worth wasting effort on is Joe Flacco and Matt Schuab. I also don't believe the Ravens will let him get to free agency. Houston might go with TJ Yates instead of paying Schaub. Matt Moore is much more consistent and a better option than Fitzputrid, IMO.

Joe Flacco - age 27 - Baltimore
                  Matt Schaub - age 31 - Houston
                  Matt Moore - 28 - Miami

LB: Some of these are worthy are going after. Most of the guys worth signing come from a 3-4. I don't know how they would translate to the 4-3.

Shaun Philips - age 30 - San Diego
                  Bradie James - age 31 - Houston
                  Leroy Hill - age 30 - Seattle
                  Erin Henderson - age 26 - Minnesota
                  Will Witherspoon - age 32 - Tennessee
                  Manny Lawson - age 28 - Cincinnati
                  Philip Wheeler - age 27 - Oakland
                  Daryl Smith - age 30 - Jacksonville
                  James Laurinaitis - age 26 - St. Louis

WR: I believe the Bills need a 1b option at the receiver position. Nelson and Jones should be nothing more than slot receivers. They are both RFA in 2013.

Dwayne Bowe - age 28 - Kansas City
                  Mike Wallace - age 26 - Pittsburgh
                  Greg Jennings - age 29 - Green Bay
                  Ramses Barden - age 25 - NYG
                  Brandon Gibson - age 25 - St Louis
                  Devery Henderson - age 30 - New Orleans

CB: It's clear that don't have a #2 at this point. Ron Brooks might turn out to be that guy. Leodis can handle the nickle positions if the Bills resign him.

Chris Houston - age 28 - Detriot
                  Tracy Porter - age 26 - Denver
                  Quentin Jammer - age 33 - San Diego - Although aging, he's still very good. Look at what Woodson did for Green Bay at the same age.
                  Brent Grimes - 30 - Atlanta
                  Jason - McCourty - age 26 - Tennessee

RT:
                  Phil Loadholt - age 26 - Minnesota
                  Sebastian Vollmer - age 28 - New England
                  Jermon Bushrod - age 28 - New Orleans
                  Will Svitek - age 30 - Atlanta

S:
                  Tanard Jackson - age 27 - Washington
                  Kenny Phillips - age 26 - NYG
                  Laron Landry - age 28 - NYJ
                  Kerry Rhodes - age 30 - Arizona
                  Yeremiah Bell - age 34 - NYJ

C (backup): Don't know many quality players or backups even for this position.
                  Jeff Faine - age 31 - Cincinnati
                  Dan Koppen - age 33 - Denver

Teams don't let above average QB just walk away in free agency so I think that crosses Flacco and Schaub off the list. Matt Moore to me is nothing special. One name that seems more then likely to be available is Michael Vick, I will say that I don't like the idea of adding him but he would give this team some buzz if added so he might be a guy we pursue unless we draft someone high.

At LB we we need a WLB and MLB and none of the names you mentioned really intrigued me except for Laurinaitis but as mentioned he's not available.

WR could be a position we could get someone, I know he signed long term but based on his struggles this year Robert Meachem might be available and we liked him last offseason so we might get him on the cheap this offseason. Other names you listed that I think are likely are Brandon Gibson and maybe Greg Jennings yet he's a big time question mark.

CB is an interesting position Brent Grimes name rings bells as know he picks off passes but haven't really studied your list in great detail.

RT, I think we keep things as is as Erik Pears being healthy makes a world of difference. Yet I'm all for drafting an OT in Round 4 or 5 of the draft to shore up more depth.

S, keeping Byrd is vital but I'd be all for getting a depth guy to compete with George Wilson to start at SS.

C, finding a veteran depth guy important but I haven't looked to see who's out there. Koppen's age scares me but if he playing only a handful of games I'm okay but still might look to draft a guy in 5 or 6 to add depth.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    Teams don't let above average QB just walk away in free agency so I think that crosses Flacco and Schaub off the list. Matt Moore to me is nothing special. One name that seems more then likely to be available is Michael Vick, I will say that I don't like the idea of adding him but he would give this team some buzz if added so he might be a guy we pursue unless we draft someone high.

At LB we we need a WLB and MLB and none of the names you mentioned really intrigued me except for Laurinaitis but as mentioned he's not available.

WR could be a position we could get someone, I know he signed long term but based on his struggles this year Robert Meachem might be available and we liked him last offseason so we might get him on the cheap this offseason. Other names you listed that I think are likely are Brandon Gibson and maybe Greg Jennings yet he's a big time question mark.

CB is an interesting position Brent Grimes name rings bells as know he picks off passes but haven't really studied your list in great detail.

RT, I think we keep things as is as Erik Pears being healthy makes a world of difference. Yet I'm all for drafting an OT in Round 4 or 5 of the draft to shore up more depth.

S, keeping Byrd is vital but I'd be all for getting a depth guy to compete with George Wilson to start at SS.

C, finding a veteran depth guy important but I haven't looked to see who's out there. Koppen's age scares me but if he playing only a handful of games I'm okay but still might look to draft a guy in 5 or 6 to add depth.
                    George Wilson sucks. He needs to be replaced.

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                      I like Grimes. Not the biggest guy, but a battler who can cover. However, he tore his achilles earlier this season, which is a scary injury for a CB. He got Atlanta's franchise tag last year, but I don't think anyone will give him much guaranteed money as a FA. It usually takes half the season back playing to get back to form after an Achilles, if it is to happen. I think he ends up looking for a 1-year deal with incentives to allow him to earn more, so he can prove he will be the same player post-injury. If he can recover, he'll be 30, so he probably lost his chance to get a huge contract.

Comment

• Gibby
                        Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                        • Jun 2006

Schaub, Bowie, Byrd, and one or two of our OL

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

We are not going after a QB in free agency, at least not one of starter quality. And how some of you conclude tha Matt Moore is better than Fitz is comical to say the least.

Bowe would be ideal, and WR is a great place to go with FA, especially considering where we're at right now. DB is another great area to look at in FA. LB would be best addressed through the draft IMO.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                            We are not going after a QB in free agency, at least not one of starter quality. And how some of you conclude tha Matt Moore is better than Fitz is comical to say the least.

Bowe would be ideal, and WR is a great place to go with FA, especially considering where we're at right now. DB is another great area to look at in FA. LB would be best addressed through the draft IMO.
                            Moore would win a fair competition against Fitz every time. NOTHING funny about that.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post

Have you even watched a game this year? Fitzputrid is awful.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by better days View Post
                                Moore would win a fair competition against Fitz every time. NOTHING funny about that.
                                Exactly. This team's current QB situation is so bad that I would choose Matt Moore over the current starter. Just awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍