Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nix Asks the fans for more patience

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nix Asks the fans for more patience

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...6-a7aa4110260f
    ``There's two ways of looking at doing it: You could get your quarterback first and then try to fill the other holes around him,'' Nix said, Wednesday. ``But then you take a chance on injury and a chance on breaking his confidence down.''Instead, he added: ``What we did was we had so many needs to start with that every time there was a high-rated player there, we knew he would fill a spot.''
    I actually agree with this philosophy and I feel a bit relieved to see Nix say it publicly.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

2. Post thanked by:

X-Era (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Nix Asks the fans for more patience

Well he has two choices to handle this.

Hope a guy like Rogers or Flacco falls in the draft or trade picks and move up like the Jets and Jags did with Sanchez and Gabbert.

I personally agree with the approach and would like to take it one step further where the rookie does not play unless we are smoking a team, not even if we are getting blown out. Also I let him play a lot in the preseason.

The only problem is that hopefully we are better team and are not in the top 10 which means in order to get the legit dude you have to trade the farm to get the guy. Now it appears to be working for the skins but not working for the jets or jags, both traded up for sanchez and Gabbert.

The other option is to draft a guy like Dalton or Kap late first or early second and develop them for probably two years till they are ready. The cowboys developed Romo for what two years before he played, Rogers was behind Favre for 3 years.

I am fine with this approach if our defense is a top 10 unit, I believe that Fitz is adequate enough to win 10 games if we have a top 10 defense (assuming the running game stays strong like this year).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post

I actually agree with this philosophy and I feel a bit relieved to see Nix say it publicly.
    If some people think that this is what happened to Trent, then Nix is right.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's the catch... You can't just take a QB for the sake of it (Losman, Gabbert) you need to do your homework and hit on a very high percentage QB.

The catch is it really has to be a first round talent, second round QB's rarely work out. There have been a few but mostly developed later in their career, Brees, Schaub.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry Nix. I don't have patience as you "build through the draft" while missing picks left and right. Besides Mario, he's done nothing significant in free agency. The end result is a wash. Constantly trying to fill holes as new ones open up. It's incredibly frustrating to see other teams improve. Granted other teams have their ups and downs, but it's frustrating that there are never any ups and it's not a lack of patience.

7. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-06-2012),k-oneputt (12-06-2012),Novacane (12-07-2012),OpIv37 (12-06-2012),TrEd FTW (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lets face it. Unless we lose the rest of our games, Gailey isn't going anywhere and Russ Brandon will get us another player to get excited about like TO and Mario to sell tickets.

9. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...6-a7aa4110260f

I don't disagree with the philosophy, per se, but the thing is, with that philosophy, you actually have to get the QB at some time.

The problem is, 2013 doesn't look like a deep year for QB's... I don't follow college football too much, so I don't really know how 2014 looks, but, if Nix doesn't get a QB this year, we'll hear the same **** this time next year. By then, all those players you drafted to build the team up before getting a QB are looking at Free Agency. Levitre and Byrd are up this year, Wood is up after next year... teh year after, Spiller's contract is up.

How many more years is he gonna wait before pulling the trigger? If he waits much longer, he'll have to spend the picks on players to fill holes that are created by players leaving for Free Agency.

-Bill

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    Sorry Nix. I don't have patience as you "build through the draft" while missing picks left and right. Besides Mario, he's done nothing significant in free agency. The end result is a wash. Constantly trying to fill holes as new ones open up. It's incredibly frustrating to see other teams improve. Granted other teams have their ups and downs, but it's frustrating that there are never any ups and it's not a lack of patience.
    Exactly. It'd be one thing if Nix were a great drafter, but he's quite terrible at it. Thus, everything he says in this article is useless - just like his GM tenure. GTFO.

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This year we have Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, and Glennon as more of a project.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This year we have Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, and Glennon as more of a project.
    They'll end up with Tyler Wilson, IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Show me the Baby!!!!

Its been a 3 year pregnancy.

16. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-06-2012),coastal (12-07-2012),jamze132 (12-08-2012),jimmifli (12-06-2012),Night Train (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We have had this discussion here so many times both about draft strategy and free agency. It only makes logical sense that you go get the best players you can and don't waiver from that and end up on the other end with a better team. I am really on board with that thinking. However, the QB position is too damn critical. I see what they are doing in Indy with Luck right now ... and it is very clear to me a big part of that are the systems they built around Peyton Manning. I am tired of the "serviceable QB" analogies. In every single case of a so called serviceable QB being successful that individual performed optimally for their abilities. That is where the whole "servicable" crap starts to break down those guys were consummate professionals who got the job done.

Somewhere in the near future there needs to be a serious upgrade at the QB position. Not just a draft pick...but a real upgrade at the position. Maybe Jackson is an upgrade or they see him as part of the package. We have to trust these guys know more than us they are really in the know and we aren't. All we know is QB seems to tear us apart on a consistent basis I don't care how much talent we have in other positions.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When Nix talks, he always sounds like a "man with a plan."
    But when you look at the results, it looks more like a guy who is completely winging it and has no idea what he's doing.

He talks big in the offseason about building throught the draft and taking the Best Player Available.
    But his drafts have been terrible...yielding almost no impact players and very few legit starters. Three years after taking over, our best players are still the guys that were already here when he arrived.

Every season he tells us that he couldn't see a quarterback worth drafting.
    That sounds good in April. But after the game are played, we've got Aaron Williams and TJ Graham - while Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are starting for other teams.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

19. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-06-2012),Lone Stranger (12-06-2012),malvado78 (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How patient?

I'd be willing to give him until the end of the season.

21. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-07-2012),Lone Stranger (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    lets face it. Unless we lose the rest of our games, Gailey isn't going anywhere and Russ Brandon will get us another player to get excited about like TO and Mario to sell tickets.
    Agreed.

Then 8 games into next year people will be clamoring why did we keep Gailey around. Even those who are backing him now.

It's never-ending.

I just hope that the next HC we get whether that be this offseason or next, we get someone who knows what the hell he is doing and assembles the proper staff. That way, just maybe, we can consistently win football games on Sundays.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Well he has two choices to handle this.

Hope a guy like Rogers or Flacco falls in the draft or trade picks and move up like the Jets and Jags did with Sanchez and Gabbert.

I personally agree with the approach and would like to take it one step further where the rookie does not play unless we are smoking a team, not even if we are getting blown out. Also I let him play a lot in the preseason.

The only problem is that hopefully we are better team and are not in the top 10 which means in order to get the legit dude you have to trade the farm to get the guy. Now it appears to be working for the skins but not working for the jets or jags, both traded up for sanchez and Gabbert.

The other option is to draft a guy like Dalton or Kap late first or early second and develop them for probably two years till they are ready. The cowboys developed Romo for what two years before he played, Rogers was behind Favre for 3 years.

I am fine with this approach if our defense is a top 10 unit, I believe that Fitz is adequate enough to win 10 games if we have a top 10 defense (assuming the running game stays strong like this year).
    Guys like Rodgers and Flacco don't "fall" in drafts. The truth is what Nix is trying to say, what I do, that franchise QBs are more a product of their surrounding cast then talent all by their lonesomes. Look at Josh Freeman last year compared to this year. He's worlds better is it because suddenly he became better and/or more mature or was it through the additional of Vincent Jackson, Dallas Clark or Doug Martin. Most likely it was a combination of both but to me you build as much talent outside of QB and then make your QB the last part and then he's not going to be counted on to do as much which means he has a better chance at suceeding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm sick of hearing Buddy's BS. When he first got the job "we're just a little away". Then his theme was we had a bunch of bums and needed wholesale upgrades. He makes Jauron sound like the greatest coach of all-time considering Buddy's analysis of the personnel in retrospect. Just BS; just BS. You all can fall for it but I've had it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

More patience? Nix can go **** himself. Please resign you dumb old slack jawed hillbilly moron.

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i am patiently waiting for The Old Fart to croak.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've had a lot of patience.

Fans ask Nix to draft quality players!