Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 - Free Agents. Who should the Bills go after?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2013 - Free Agents. Who should the Bills go after?

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Urbik, McMarbles, Levitre and Byrd all resign?

i hope you're right.
    I don't know if they'll want to bring back McKelvin, but there's no reason they can't have these guys back. The Bills can free up money by not bringing back certain players.

It looks like Thigpen and Spencer Johnson's contract are both up, which cost them about 6.5 mil this season.
    Kir Morrison's release saves them about 1.5 mil.
    Cutting Kelsay would save about 4.2 mil.
    Cutting McGee saves another 2.1 mil.
    Cutting George Wilson saves about 3.4 mil.
    Cutting Brad Smith could save about 2.8 mil.

They have options. If Nix wants to keep those guys they can make it work. They're probably not going to be able to make a huge splash like they did last year, but they should have enough flexibility to sign their own and make some moves in free agency.

2. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-07-2012),better days (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like I said I hope you're right.

to me it's more of a question of whether they even want to be here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    The Bills have a number of needs this off season. Some of these needs could be filled through free agency. I am going to list the guys who I think the Bills should go after. I know signing every one of these guys is not realistic. What do you guys think the Bills should do?

I consider each of these positions necessity needs for us, in order of importance.

QB: The only quarterback worth wasting effort on is Joe Flacco and Matt Schuab. I also don't believe the Ravens will let him get to free agency. Houston might go with TJ Yates instead of paying Schaub. Matt Moore is much more consistent and a better option than Fitzputrid, IMO.

Joe Flacco - age 27 - Baltimore
    Matt Schaub - age 31 - Houston
    Matt Moore - 28 - Miami

LB: Some of these are worthy are going after. Most of the guys worth signing come from a 3-4. I don't know how they would translate to the 4-3.

Shaun Philips - age 30 - San Diego
    Bradie James - age 31 - Houston
    Leroy Hill - age 30 - Seattle
    Erin Henderson - age 26 - Minnesota
    Will Witherspoon - age 32 - Tennessee
    Manny Lawson - age 28 - Cincinnati
    Philip Wheeler - age 27 - Oakland
    Daryl Smith - age 30 - Jacksonville
    James Laurinaitis - age 26 - St. Louis

WR: I believe the Bills need a 1b option at the receiver position. Nelson and Jones should be nothing more than slot receivers. They are both RFA in 2013.

Dwayne Bowe - age 28 - Kansas City
    Mike Wallace - age 26 - Pittsburgh
    Greg Jennings - age 29 - Green Bay
    Ramses Barden - age 25 - NYG
    Brandon Gibson - age 25 - St Louis
    Devery Henderson - age 30 - New Orleans

CB: It's clear that don't have a #2 at this point. Ron Brooks might turn out to be that guy. Leodis can handle the nickle positions if the Bills resign him.

Chris Houston - age 28 - Detriot
    Tracy Porter - age 26 - Denver
    Quentin Jammer - age 33 - San Diego - Although aging, he's still very good. Look at what Woodson did for Green Bay at the same age.
    Brent Grimes - 30 - Atlanta
    Jason - McCourty - age 26 - Tennessee

RT:
    Phil Loadholt - age 26 - Minnesota
    Sebastian Vollmer - age 28 - New England
    Jermon Bushrod - age 28 - New Orleans
    Will Svitek - age 30 - Atlanta

S:
    Tanard Jackson - age 27 - Washington
    Kenny Phillips - age 26 - NYG
    Laron Landry - age 28 - NYJ
    Kerry Rhodes - age 30 - Arizona
    Yeremiah Bell - age 34 - NYJ

C (backup): Don't know many quality players or backups even for this position.
    Jeff Faine - age 31 - Cincinnati
    Dan Koppen - age 33 - Denver

Teams don't let above average QB just walk away in free agency so I think that crosses Flacco and Schaub off the list. Matt Moore to me is nothing special. One name that seems more then likely to be available is Michael Vick, I will say that I don't like the idea of adding him but he would give this team some buzz if added so he might be a guy we pursue unless we draft someone high.

At LB we we need a WLB and MLB and none of the names you mentioned really intrigued me except for Laurinaitis but as mentioned he's not available.

WR could be a position we could get someone, I know he signed long term but based on his struggles this year Robert Meachem might be available and we liked him last offseason so we might get him on the cheap this offseason. Other names you listed that I think are likely are Brandon Gibson and maybe Greg Jennings yet he's a big time question mark.

CB is an interesting position Brent Grimes name rings bells as know he picks off passes but haven't really studied your list in great detail.

RT, I think we keep things as is as Erik Pears being healthy makes a world of difference. Yet I'm all for drafting an OT in Round 4 or 5 of the draft to shore up more depth.

S, keeping Byrd is vital but I'd be all for getting a depth guy to compete with George Wilson to start at SS.

C, finding a veteran depth guy important but I haven't looked to see who's out there. Koppen's age scares me but if he playing only a handful of games I'm okay but still might look to draft a guy in 5 or 6 to add depth.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Teams don't let above average QB just walk away in free agency so I think that crosses Flacco and Schaub off the list. Matt Moore to me is nothing special. One name that seems more then likely to be available is Michael Vick, I will say that I don't like the idea of adding him but he would give this team some buzz if added so he might be a guy we pursue unless we draft someone high.

At LB we we need a WLB and MLB and none of the names you mentioned really intrigued me except for Laurinaitis but as mentioned he's not available.

WR could be a position we could get someone, I know he signed long term but based on his struggles this year Robert Meachem might be available and we liked him last offseason so we might get him on the cheap this offseason. Other names you listed that I think are likely are Brandon Gibson and maybe Greg Jennings yet he's a big time question mark.

CB is an interesting position Brent Grimes name rings bells as know he picks off passes but haven't really studied your list in great detail.

RT, I think we keep things as is as Erik Pears being healthy makes a world of difference. Yet I'm all for drafting an OT in Round 4 or 5 of the draft to shore up more depth.

S, keeping Byrd is vital but I'd be all for getting a depth guy to compete with George Wilson to start at SS.

C, finding a veteran depth guy important but I haven't looked to see who's out there. Koppen's age scares me but if he playing only a handful of games I'm okay but still might look to draft a guy in 5 or 6 to add depth.
    George Wilson sucks. He needs to be replaced.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    I like Grimes. Not the biggest guy, but a battler who can cover. However, he tore his achilles earlier this season, which is a scary injury for a CB. He got Atlanta's franchise tag last year, but I don't think anyone will give him much guaranteed money as a FA. It usually takes half the season back playing to get back to form after an Achilles, if it is to happen. I think he ends up looking for a 1-year deal with incentives to allow him to earn more, so he can prove he will be the same player post-injury. If he can recover, he'll be 30, so he probably lost his chance to get a huge contract.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Schaub, Bowie, Byrd, and one or two of our OL

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We are not going after a QB in free agency, at least not one of starter quality. And how some of you conclude tha Matt Moore is better than Fitz is comical to say the least.

Bowe would be ideal, and WR is a great place to go with FA, especially considering where we're at right now. DB is another great area to look at in FA. LB would be best addressed through the draft IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    We are not going after a QB in free agency, at least not one of starter quality. And how some of you conclude tha Matt Moore is better than Fitz is comical to say the least.

Bowe would be ideal, and WR is a great place to go with FA, especially considering where we're at right now. DB is another great area to look at in FA. LB would be best addressed through the draft IMO.
    Moore would win a fair competition against Fitz every time. NOTHING funny about that.

11. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Have you even watched a game this year? Fitzputrid is awful.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Moore would win a fair competition against Fitz every time. NOTHING funny about that.
    Exactly. This team's current QB situation is so bad that I would choose Matt Moore over the current starter. Just awful.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You guys are jaded... it's almost like talking to two PTSD victims. Fitzpatrick may be vanilla, but Moore is garbage.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Schaub and Flacco are pretty much going nowhere. I would take either. Moore I have no interest in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Vick becomes available, I would rather the Bills go into next season with Vick instead Putzputrid. Fitz will never lead this team to anything more than a 6-10 record.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well looks like Chris Brown has crushed my hopes of getting Bowe in his weekly Fan Friday Q&A:

3 – Hi Chris,
    Just looking ahead at the possibilities of the Bills filling in some holes with Free Agency and how active they might be this coming off-season. I would love for them to make upgrades at corner, wide receiver, and linebacker (quarterback too, but that would likely be addressed in the draft). How much cap space do the Bills currently have to work with in the off-season? I know that re-signing Byrd and Levitre will be top priorities for them, but once they’re taken care of, how much room will they likely have to work with, if any at all? Would love to see Dwayne Bowe in a Bills uniform!

As always, love the coverage you provide for us … please keep up the great work!

Paul

CB: Thanks for the kind words. I am not in a position to provide cap space figures, but I can tell you that Buffalo has a lot of young players coming up for contract consideration. You mentioned Byrd and Levitre. They’ve also got Kraig Urbik, Chad Rinehart to consider for their offensive line. Restricted free agents include David Nelson and Donald Jones. Leodis McKelvin is another unrestricted free agent of note. So very quickly just for the Bills to keep their own they’ll be eating into heavily into their cap space if they decide to do some long terms deals with any of the aforementioned players.

One free agent to be that hasn’t garnered much attention is Kyle Moore, who will also be unrestricted at season’s end.

That’s why the thought of Dwayne Bowe in a Bills uniform is a pipe dream. Buffalo is already heavily invested in the wide receiver position with Stevie Johnson. They likely intend to invest more with Nelson and Jones. So to try and add Bowe, who is looking for upwards of $10M a season, it’s just not going to happen.
    Other veteran free agents of note include Bryan Scott, Corey McIntyre and Spencer Johnson.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bryan Scott is beyond terrible, Corey Mcintyre can be replaced by anybody, and Spencer Johnson is equally as terrible as Bryan Scott. I have no idea why the Bills would want to resign these guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Weak FA class.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

quentin jammer = farts.
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You guys are jaded... it's almost like talking to two PTSD victims. Fitzpatrick may be vanilla, but Moore is garbage.
    When given the chance to play this year, Moore has not looked like garbage, Fitz has.