Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

  1. #1
    rodger dorn of predictions Discotrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Native: West Seneca Now: Florida
    Posts
    21,284
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 744 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    56
    ZoneBux
    127,163.68
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    127,163.68
    Donate

    Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    After Bob Costas' halftime anti-gun tirade last week on behalf of the Chiefs, I'm wondering if he'll be railing against cars and alcohol this week so the Cowboys can have something to blame.

    Patti

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked 819 Times in 427 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    16
    ZoneBux
    37,730.22
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    37,730.22
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Jerry Jones is reacting:

    Cowboys | Breath-analyzer device for players possible
    Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:20:22 -0800

    The Dallas Cowboys are looking into using SafeKey, an electronic device that prevents vehicles from starting when a driver is impaired, following the car accident that took the life of LB Jerry Brown.


    Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2Ef4xrwsc

    Personally, I think every car should be manufactured with one of these devices & make it a felony to tamper with it.
    Years ago MADD called me for a contribution & I told them they're not doing enough to stop drunk driving because they've never called for the installation of these on every vehicle.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 12-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.

  3. Post thanked by:

    Valerie (12-12-2012)

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,804
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 238 Times in 153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    17,352.02
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    17,352.02
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    I generally don't like nanny state kind of things, but I wouldn't mind the car starter. When you have too many idiots, it's time to idiot proof things. Especially when the idiocy leads to the deaths of others.



  5. #4
    Registered User MidnightVoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In the sixties
    Posts
    9,458
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30
    ZoneBux
    10,913.11
    Bank
    702,719.26
    Total ZoneBux
    713,632.37
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    Especially when the idiocy leads to the deaths of others.
    We need breath testers on guns
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof ~ Christopher Hitchens

  6. #5
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,567
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 750 Times in 558 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    8
    ZoneBux
    11,993.51
    Bank
    271,782.87
    Total ZoneBux
    283,776.38
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    After Bob Costas' halftime anti-gun tirade last week on behalf of the Chiefs, I'm wondering if he'll be railing against cars and alcohol this week so the Cowboys can have something to blame.

    Patti
    Bob Costas would like to say....F your take and the horse it rode in on!

    http://www.edgeofsports.com/2012-12-06-798/index.html
    "Let me give you some advice, bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you."

    -Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow, "Game of Thrones"

  7. #6
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,567
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 750 Times in 558 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    8
    ZoneBux
    11,993.51
    Bank
    271,782.87
    Total ZoneBux
    283,776.38
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Costas may not have gotten to it, but Jim Rome certainly did on today's show.

    http://www.jimrome.com/take/100-perc...ventable/35031

  8. #7
    Registered User EricStratton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cranford, NJ
    Posts
    18,544
    Thanks
    508
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    67
    ZoneBux
    38,222.88
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    38,222.88
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Was it really a tirade or a rant Patti or did the talking heads tell you it was?

    I said you need to strive to better than everyone else. I didn't say you needed to be better than everyone else. But you gotta try. That's what character is. It's in the try.

  9. #8
    Registered User MikeInRoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    Thanks
    547
    Thanked 969 Times in 498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    37
    ZoneBux
    54,668.87
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    54,668.87
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Personally, I think every car should be manufactured with one of these devices & make it a felony to tamper with it.
    Years ago MADD called me for a contribution & I told them they're not doing enough to stop drunk driving because they've never called for the installation of these on every vehicle.
    Why not just complete the nanny state by outlawing alcohol?
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

    "Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

  10. #9
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    73,741
    Thanks
    3,290
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    208
    ZoneBux
    163,861.45
    Bank
    468,711.37
    Total ZoneBux
    632,572.82
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    Why not just complete the nanny state by outlawing alcohol?
    Because that mentality only applies to guns. I don't know why, but it does.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    2,253
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 344 Times in 205 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    57,916.93
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    57,916.93
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    The difference between Guns and cars, and booze is that Guns sole purpose is to kill. That is why guns are created. They are an efficient way to kill another human being without much effort or without getting dirty. That being said, the gun that killed the Football player and his gf did its job.

    Now we should all ask ourselves do we want a buch of people running around with guns? If guns are okay, why not assault rifles? If guns are suppose to help protect Americans from foreign and domestic threats including potentially our own military than why not allow the average American citizens to buy tanks, fighter jets, high grade explosives, bombs, WMDs, etc... Either go all the way or none at all.
    Please Make Sense

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    2,253
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 344 Times in 205 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    57,916.93
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    57,916.93
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    My two cents: With all of these shootings recently I think this will go in one of two ways:
    1) Dramatic reduction of gun rights or loss of rights
    2) NRA and Conservative groups work one imposing some limitations so that there is a standard. Maybe a physiological profile, background check, etc... Its often easier to buy a gun than it is to get a drivers license, or get a pack of smokes/beer, etc...

  13. #12
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,567
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 750 Times in 558 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    8
    ZoneBux
    11,993.51
    Bank
    271,782.87
    Total ZoneBux
    283,776.38
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    You know, I think Chris Rock was right about it all...

    (WARNING: language is NSFW!)


  14. Post thanked by:

    DraftBoy (12-12-2012)

  15. #13
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    73,741
    Thanks
    3,290
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    208
    ZoneBux
    163,861.45
    Bank
    468,711.37
    Total ZoneBux
    632,572.82
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The difference between Guns and cars, and booze is that Guns sole purpose is to kill. That is why guns are created. They are an efficient way to kill another human being without much effort or without getting dirty. That being said, the gun that killed the Football player and his gf did its job.

    Now we should all ask ourselves do we want a buch of people running around with guns? If guns are okay, why not assault rifles? If guns are suppose to help protect Americans from foreign and domestic threats including potentially our own military than why not allow the average American citizens to buy tanks, fighter jets, high grade explosives, bombs, WMDs, etc... Either go all the way or none at all.
    the problem is that Costas made a false equivalency. This guy would have killed his girl and himself with or without guns. It's a one on one situation where the guy has a clear physical advantage. It was going to happen one way or the other. I guarantee that if there were ZERO handguns in the US right now, this guy and his gf would still be dead. Costas and Wilbon just used a tragedy to make a point.

  16. #14
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    73,741
    Thanks
    3,290
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    208
    ZoneBux
    163,861.45
    Bank
    468,711.37
    Total ZoneBux
    632,572.82
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

    Blame the guns! Take away the guns!

    The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!

  17. Post thanked by:

    pmoon6 (12-12-2012)

  18. #15
    i appear missing JoeMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,057
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5,166 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    26
    ZoneBux
    77,367.92
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    77,367.92
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightVoice View Post
    We need breath testers on guns
    Or failing that, at least a psych eval before unknowingly handing over assault rifles to complete headcases.

    Gun nuts love to scream and yell "Guns don't kill people, people kill people!"

    True, but the guns certainly help!

    I'm all for the right to bear arms, but the frequency of mass shootings has spiked upward in 2012. It's like every other week some nutcup shambles into a public place and blasts a room full of human beings for sport.

    There's got to be a way to weed out psychopaths from getting their shaking, twitchy, trigger-happy fingers on assault rifles.
    Last edited by JoeMama; 12-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.

  19. #16
    i appear missing JoeMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,057
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5,166 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    26
    ZoneBux
    77,367.92
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    77,367.92
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    You know, I think Chris Rock was right about it all...

    (WARNING: language is NSFW!)

    I never get tired of his bullet control routine. Amazing.

  20. #17
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,567
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 750 Times in 558 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    8
    ZoneBux
    11,993.51
    Bank
    271,782.87
    Total ZoneBux
    283,776.38
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

    Blame the guns! Take away the guns!

    The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!
    Nowhere did Costas say that. What he did say is that the CULTURE surrounding it should be addressed. And on that point, he's right.

    Cripes...look at Canada for a minute. They have almost as many guns as Americans do, but they're not offing people left, right and center with guns.

  21. Post thanked by:

    EricStratton (12-12-2012)

  22. #18
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    73,741
    Thanks
    3,290
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    208
    ZoneBux
    163,861.45
    Bank
    468,711.37
    Total ZoneBux
    632,572.82
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Nowhere did Costas say that. What he did say is that the CULTURE surrounding it should be addressed. And on that point, he's right.

    Cripes...look at Canada for a minute. They have almost as many guns as Americans do, but they're not offing people left, right and center with guns.
    Except that this incident STILL had nothing to do with gun culture. It had to do with mental illness and domestic violence. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have grabbed a kitchen knife or just strangled her.

  23. #19
    Registered User EricStratton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cranford, NJ
    Posts
    18,544
    Thanks
    508
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    67
    ZoneBux
    38,222.88
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    38,222.88
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Except that this incident STILL had nothing to do with gun culture. It had to do with mental illness and domestic violence. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have grabbed a kitchen knife or just strangled her.

    That's not true Op. Stabbing or strangling or beating someone to death requires a very personal connection with the person while shooting, even from relatively close range does not.

    To look someone in the eye and squeeze their neck until death or pushing a knife is very different then pulling a trigger on a machine.

    And in terms of culture there is a feeling in many groups that violence is the way to handle a problem and gun violence is an easy way to make your problems go away.

  24. #20
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    73,741
    Thanks
    3,290
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    208
    ZoneBux
    163,861.45
    Bank
    468,711.37
    Total ZoneBux
    632,572.82
    Donate

    Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    That's not true Op. Stabbing or strangling or beating someone to death requires a very personal connection with the person while shooting, even from relatively close range does not.

    To look someone in the eye and squeeze their neck until death or pushing a knife is very different then pulling a trigger on a machine.

    And in terms of culture there is a feeling in many groups that violence is the way to handle a problem and gun violence is an easy way to make your problems go away.
    Except we're not talking about a sane, rational human being here. We are talking about someone who is already mentally ill enough to want to hurt his girlfriend and himself. And I'm not saying there isn't a gun culture- I'm saying this particular case isn't an example of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •