Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

After Bob Costas' halftime anti-gun tirade last week on behalf of the Chiefs, I'm wondering if he'll be railing against cars and alcohol this week so the Cowboys can have something to blame.

Patti

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

Jerry Jones is reacting:

Cowboys | Breath-analyzer device for players possible
    Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:20:22 -0800

The Dallas Cowboys are looking into using SafeKey, an electronic device that prevents vehicles from starting when a driver is impaired, following the car accident that took the life of LB Jerry Brown.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2Ef4xrwsc

Personally, I think every car should be manufactured with one of these devices & make it a felony to tamper with it.
    Years ago MADD called me for a contribution & I told them they're not doing enough to stop drunk driving because they've never called for the installation of these on every vehicle.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 12-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.

3. Post thanked by:

Valerie (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I generally don't like nanny state kind of things, but I wouldn't mind the car starter. When you have too many idiots, it's time to idiot proof things. Especially when the idiocy leads to the deaths of others.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    Especially when the idiocy leads to the deaths of others.
    We need breath testers on guns

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,487 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    After Bob Costas' halftime anti-gun tirade last week on behalf of the Chiefs, I'm wondering if he'll be railing against cars and alcohol this week so the Cowboys can have something to blame.

Patti
    Bob Costas would like to say....F your take and the horse it rode in on!

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2012-12-06-798/index.html
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Costas may not have gotten to it, but Jim Rome certainly did on today's show.

http://www.jimrome.com/take/100-perc...ventable/35031

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Was it really a tirade or a rant Patti or did the talking heads tell you it was?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Personally, I think every car should be manufactured with one of these devices & make it a felony to tamper with it.
    Years ago MADD called me for a contribution & I told them they're not doing enough to stop drunk driving because they've never called for the installation of these on every vehicle.
    Why not just complete the nanny state by outlawing alcohol?
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Thanks
    Thanked 26,213 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    Why not just complete the nanny state by outlawing alcohol?
    Because that mentality only applies to guns. I don't know why, but it does.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The difference between Guns and cars, and booze is that Guns sole purpose is to kill. That is why guns are created. They are an efficient way to kill another human being without much effort or without getting dirty. That being said, the gun that killed the Football player and his gf did its job.

Now we should all ask ourselves do we want a buch of people running around with guns? If guns are okay, why not assault rifles? If guns are suppose to help protect Americans from foreign and domestic threats including potentially our own military than why not allow the average American citizens to buy tanks, fighter jets, high grade explosives, bombs, WMDs, etc... Either go all the way or none at all.
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My two cents: With all of these shootings recently I think this will go in one of two ways:
    1) Dramatic reduction of gun rights or loss of rights
    2) NRA and Conservative groups work one imposing some limitations so that there is a standard. Maybe a physiological profile, background check, etc... Its often easier to buy a gun than it is to get a drivers license, or get a pack of smokes/beer, etc...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You know, I think Chris Rock was right about it all...

(WARNING: language is NSFW!)

14. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The difference between Guns and cars, and booze is that Guns sole purpose is to kill. That is why guns are created. They are an efficient way to kill another human being without much effort or without getting dirty. That being said, the gun that killed the Football player and his gf did its job.

Now we should all ask ourselves do we want a buch of people running around with guns? If guns are okay, why not assault rifles? If guns are suppose to help protect Americans from foreign and domestic threats including potentially our own military than why not allow the average American citizens to buy tanks, fighter jets, high grade explosives, bombs, WMDs, etc... Either go all the way or none at all.
    the problem is that Costas made a false equivalency. This guy would have killed his girl and himself with or without guns. It's a one on one situation where the guy has a clear physical advantage. It was going to happen one way or the other. I guarantee that if there were ZERO handguns in the US right now, this guy and his gf would still be dead. Costas and Wilbon just used a tragedy to make a point.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

Blame the guns! Take away the guns!

The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!

17. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightVoice View Post
    We need breath testers on guns
    Or failing that, at least a psych eval before unknowingly handing over assault rifles to complete headcases.

Gun nuts love to scream and yell "Guns don't kill people, people kill people!"

True, but the guns certainly help!

I'm all for the right to bear arms, but the frequency of mass shootings has spiked upward in 2012. It's like every other week some nutcup shambles into a public place and blasts a room full of human beings for sport.

There's got to be a way to weed out psychopaths from getting their shaking, twitchy, trigger-happy fingers on assault rifles.
    Last edited by JoeMama; 12-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    You know, I think Chris Rock was right about it all...

(WARNING: language is NSFW!)

I never get tired of his bullet control routine. Amazing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

Blame the guns! Take away the guns!

The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!
    Nowhere did Costas say that. What he did say is that the CULTURE surrounding it should be addressed. And on that point, he's right.

Cripes...look at Canada for a minute. They have almost as many guns as Americans do, but they're not offing people left, right and center with guns.

21. Post thanked by:

EricStratton (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Nowhere did Costas say that. What he did say is that the CULTURE surrounding it should be addressed. And on that point, he's right.

Cripes...look at Canada for a minute. They have almost as many guns as Americans do, but they're not offing people left, right and center with guns.
    Except that this incident STILL had nothing to do with gun culture. It had to do with mental illness and domestic violence. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have grabbed a kitchen knife or just strangled her.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Except that this incident STILL had nothing to do with gun culture. It had to do with mental illness and domestic violence. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have grabbed a kitchen knife or just strangled her.

That's not true Op. Stabbing or strangling or beating someone to death requires a very personal connection with the person while shooting, even from relatively close range does not.

To look someone in the eye and squeeze their neck until death or pushing a knife is very different then pulling a trigger on a machine.

And in terms of culture there is a feeling in many groups that violence is the way to handle a problem and gun violence is an easy way to make your problems go away.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    That's not true Op. Stabbing or strangling or beating someone to death requires a very personal connection with the person while shooting, even from relatively close range does not.

To look someone in the eye and squeeze their neck until death or pushing a knife is very different then pulling a trigger on a machine.

And in terms of culture there is a feeling in many groups that violence is the way to handle a problem and gun violence is an easy way to make your problems go away.
    Except we're not talking about a sane, rational human being here. We are talking about someone who is already mentally ill enough to want to hurt his girlfriend and himself. And I'm not saying there isn't a gun culture- I'm saying this particular case isn't an example of it.