• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
    You know, I think Chris Rock was right about it all...

(WARNING: language is NSFW!)

I never get tired of his bullet control routine. Amazing.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• ckg927
      Not quite Best in the World....
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

Blame the guns! Take away the guns!

The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!
      Nowhere did Costas say that. What he did say is that the CULTURE surrounding it should be addressed. And on that point, he's right.

Cripes...look at Canada for a minute. They have almost as many guns as Americans do, but they're not offing people left, right and center with guns.
      "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
        Nowhere did Costas say that. What he did say is that the CULTURE surrounding it should be addressed. And on that point, he's right.

Cripes...look at Canada for a minute. They have almost as many guns as Americans do, but they're not offing people left, right and center with guns.
        Except that this incident STILL had nothing to do with gun culture. It had to do with mental illness and domestic violence. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have grabbed a kitchen knife or just strangled her.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• EricStratton
          • Jul 2002

Except that this incident STILL had nothing to do with gun culture. It had to do with mental illness and domestic violence. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have grabbed a kitchen knife or just strangled her.

That's not true Op. Stabbing or strangling or beating someone to death requires a very personal connection with the person while shooting, even from relatively close range does not.

To look someone in the eye and squeeze their neck until death or pushing a knife is very different then pulling a trigger on a machine.

And in terms of culture there is a feeling in many groups that violence is the way to handle a problem and gun violence is an easy way to make your problems go away.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by EricStratton View Post
            That's not true Op. Stabbing or strangling or beating someone to death requires a very personal connection with the person while shooting, even from relatively close range does not.

To look someone in the eye and squeeze their neck until death or pushing a knife is very different then pulling a trigger on a machine.

And in terms of culture there is a feeling in many groups that violence is the way to handle a problem and gun violence is an easy way to make your problems go away.
            Except we're not talking about a sane, rational human being here. We are talking about someone who is already mentally ill enough to want to hurt his girlfriend and himself. And I'm not saying there isn't a gun culture- I'm saying this particular case isn't an example of it.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Except we're not talking about a sane, rational human being here. We are talking about someone who is already mentally ill enough to want to hurt his girlfriend and himself. And I'm not saying there isn't a gun culture- I'm saying this particular case isn't an example of it.
              Studies have shown that a lack of access to a gun significantly decreases the chances of somebody being killed. So no they won't just grab a knife or strangle somebody.

On a similar but somewhat off topic topic, I find the way some in the MSM and fans have categorizes Belcher's rumored mental illness to be both digusting and horribly ignorant of facts. Being depressed or even dealing with a disorder (ex Bipolar) does not make somebody irrational or even crazy.
              Last edited by DraftBoy; 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                Studies have shown that a lack of access to a gun significantly decreases the chances of somebody being killed. So no they won't just grab a knife or strangle somebody. Sane or not.
                I'd like to see the methodology behind those studies and how "access" is defined. Correlation is not necessarily causality.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I'd like to see the methodology behind those studies and how "access" is defined. Correlation is not necessarily causality.
                  Ill see what I can dig up when I get home.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• pmoon6
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                    Or failing that, at least a psych eval before unknowingly handing over assault rifles to complete headcases.

Gun nuts love to scream and yell "Guns don't kill people, people kill people!"

True, but the guns certainly help!

I'm all for the right to bear arms, but the frequency of mass shootings has spiked upward in 2012. It's like every other week some nutcup shambles into a public place and blasts a room full of human beings for sport.

There's got to be a way to weed out psychopaths from getting their shaking, twitchy, trigger-happy fingers on assault rifles.
                    If that's the case, you should be glad that they have shaky, twitchy fingers. Guarantee's they probably won't hit anything.

Comment

• pmoon6
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Dec 2002

"I have no problem with what Costas said or the issues that he raised" ~ Pmoon6, lifetime NRA member, Concealed Carry permit holder and marksman extraordinaire.

Comment

• EricStratton
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                        "I have no problem with what Costas said or the issues that he raised" ~ Pmoon6, lifetime NRA member, Concealed Carry permit holder and marksman extraordinaire.

And still very humble I see.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                          I think the important thing is that Costas got people talking about the issue again. And to a certain extent thinking more critically about it.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

And still very humble I see.
                            Well, you do get an ego boost when you hit a moving elk in the heart at 400 yards. I still can't believe I made that shot and I would be a liar if I said I wasn't immeasurably proud of it.

Comment

• EricStratton
                              • Jul 2002

Even a blind dog can lick his balls from time to time.

Comment

• pmoon6
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Dec 2002

Even a blind dog can lick his balls from time to time.
                                Wow, I didn't think it possible, but there seems to be one person with a modicum of intelligence living in New Jersey. What wit!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍