Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bob Costas' Anti-Gun Rant

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Except we're not talking about a sane, rational human being here. We are talking about someone who is already mentally ill enough to want to hurt his girlfriend and himself. And I'm not saying there isn't a gun culture- I'm saying this particular case isn't an example of it.
    Studies have shown that a lack of access to a gun significantly decreases the chances of somebody being killed. So no they won't just grab a knife or strangle somebody.

On a similar but somewhat off topic topic, I find the way some in the MSM and fans have categorizes Belcher's rumored mental illness to be both digusting and horribly ignorant of facts. Being depressed or even dealing with a disorder (ex Bipolar) does not make somebody irrational or even crazy.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 12-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Studies have shown that a lack of access to a gun significantly decreases the chances of somebody being killed. So no they won't just grab a knife or strangle somebody. Sane or not.
    I'd like to see the methodology behind those studies and how "access" is defined. Correlation is not necessarily causality.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like to see the methodology behind those studies and how "access" is defined. Correlation is not necessarily causality.
    Ill see what I can dig up when I get home.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    Or failing that, at least a psych eval before unknowingly handing over assault rifles to complete headcases.

Gun nuts love to scream and yell "Guns don't kill people, people kill people!"

True, but the guns certainly help!

I'm all for the right to bear arms, but the frequency of mass shootings has spiked upward in 2012. It's like every other week some nutcup shambles into a public place and blasts a room full of human beings for sport.

There's got to be a way to weed out psychopaths from getting their shaking, twitchy, trigger-happy fingers on assault rifles.
    If that's the case, you should be glad that they have shaky, twitchy fingers. Guarantee's they probably won't hit anything.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"I have no problem with what Costas said or the issues that he raised" ~ Pmoon6, lifetime NRA member, Concealed Carry permit holder and marksman extraordinaire.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    "I have no problem with what Costas said or the issues that he raised" ~ Pmoon6, lifetime NRA member, Concealed Carry permit holder and marksman extraordinaire.

And still very humble I see.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    I think the important thing is that Costas got people talking about the issue again. And to a certain extent thinking more critically about it.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    And still very humble I see.
    Well, you do get an ego boost when you hit a moving elk in the heart at 400 yards. I still can't believe I made that shot and I would be a liar if I said I wasn't immeasurably proud of it.

10. Post thanked by:

EricStratton (12-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even a blind dog can lick his balls from time to time.

12. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (12-13-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    Even a blind dog can lick his balls from time to time.
    Wow, I didn't think it possible, but there seems to be one person with a modicum of intelligence living in New Jersey. What wit!!!

14. Post thanked by:

EricStratton (12-13-2012)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Gun Control Act of 1968 eliminated mail order sale. As a lad, I ordered a .410 shotgun from Sears Guns were far more available then. My local drugstore sold ammunition, not an uncommon thing. And shootings were far less than today. What happened was the liberal cultural revolution of the '60's. Express yourself. I gotta be me.

The ties that bound, the unity of shared values were replaced with mocking. See that cruel person, David Letterman any night of the week - he's emblematic.

I could cite numerous incidents in my own locality, where the presence of firearms in the hands of responsible folks have prevented tragedy.

Let me ask you gun haters a hypothetical: you are on the sidewalk outside my house. I hear a ruckus, open the door, and see a perp threatening you and your family. When I get out my shotgun to protect you, do you dig your heels in, and tell me to go away? Answer that, please.

The problem isn't firearms, it's a destruction of values largely perpetrated by one of the major political parties in the craven interest of fatting themselves by keeping themselves in control. So corrupt. And the Yutes of America champion them. A Weimer Republic, Gulags, camps are around the corner. You bleeding sods, you are going to reap the consequences. I'm glad my days are short.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    The problem isn't firearms, it's a destruction of values largely perpetrated by one of the major political parties in the craven interest of fatting themselves by keeping themselves in control. So corrupt.
    I absolutely agree. We HAVE to abolish the Republican Party, and if we can't, then a 2nd Amendment solution might be required.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

Registered User YankeeInRaleigh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

Blame the guns! Take away the guns!

The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!

Dude, since i've been here I think i've agreed with about 99.9% of the posts you've made. Good stuff!

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-26-2012)

Registered User YankeeInRaleigh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm glad my days are short.
    Hear Hear!

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeInRaleigh View Post
    Hear Hear!
    Thanks! $43,000 increased debt every second of every hour of every day, 16T deficit, 100T plus debt, a Treasury printing press manufacturing 100 billion+ of worthless greenbacks a month based on nothing, a SS fund loaded with IOUs that get converted into phony government revenues, union-controlled colleges far outstripping the general rate of inflation, same for medical doctors, and so on.

We will probably be able to outrun the fall before me and wife croak. No expectation of (lousy) health care unless we burn our house down, toss a lifetime of frugality away and stick the cost on the backs of others. Those in their 20's through 50's are so, so, stupid. They are ***** themselves beyond belief. But that's the hope and change they voted for.

So we are glad that we lived in a time when one's efforts, the fruits of one's labor actually mattered. Our last act will be to give our meager holdings over to some foreign charity, so this government can't grab it to further insinuate themselves.

The young has lost the support of the old, and that's a critical thing.

Bon apetit!
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 12-14-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the problem is that Costas made a false equivalency.

I don't remember the comment so I have nothing to say regarding this statement.

This guy would have killed his girl and himself with or without guns. It's a one on one situation where the guy has a clear physical advantage. It was going to happen one way or the other. I guarantee that if there were ZERO handguns in the US right now, this guy and his gf would still be dead.

I can't argue with this because I have no way of knowing what would have happened otherwise but I can say the following:
    1) this was a crime of passion where he exploded into a rage and shot her a number of times. Guns & Anger are not a good mix. It seems to me that he was very angry, acted impulsively, and killed her. This does not seem like a premeditated crime. There was not attempt at cover up, etc... The suicided was a natural progressions from the realization that he would've been caught and imprisoned.
    2) if he was so capable to achieve such a level of anger with this women there is a good chance he would of or could of used a knife. Knife murders are far less common than gun murders. It's far easier to accidentally kill someone with a gun but nearly impossible to do so with a knife.

Costa's and Wilbon just used a tragedy to make a point.
    - - - Updated - - -

The school shooting will further add to the debate. A debate that must be had.
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And here's the other thing: as usual, gun control advocates are taking the easy way out.

The real issues here are mental health and domestic violence, but those aren't physical items that can potentially just be taken away. They are much more complicated problems. Never mind that there are millions of guns and gun owners in this country, and the overwhelming majority never hurt or kill anyone. Never mind that the places with the strictest gun control laws have some of the worst rates of gun-related crime while the places with the loosest gun laws have the lowest amount of gun crime. Let's blame the guns and ignore the real issues!
    Having Guns in a civilized society is a paradox.

If the society is really civilized (which were not by the way) then there would be no need for guns. (Disputes would be solved amicably)

If the society is not civilized, not mature enough to handle the responsibility, then allowing guns would be even more disastrous.

We live in a social mindset that is about 50- 100 years out of date! This is often referred to as Cultural Lag which is one of the major threats to human survival. Simply put, our technological ability to destroy ourselves and our planet has outgrown our ability to get along. As a result we live in a world where we fear a nuclear/biological attack from some nut job that lives in caves a few thousand miles away. We fear attack from other countries and competition from other states. We are afraid of the less fortunate and from those that society has shunned. We are even afraid from our neighbors, friends and sometimes loved ones. After all most murders are not random acts of violence, rather they are perpetrated by those we know.

*There is a reason why no American can go out and buy tanks, helicopters, high grade explosives, fighter jets, WMDs, etc.. If we are mature enough, trusted enough, and have a constitutional right to bear arms why does that right stop at guns?
    Last edited by Mike; 12-19-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Studies have shown that a lack of access to a gun significantly decreases the chances of somebody being killed. So no they won't just grab a knife or strangle somebody.
    In fact, when the assault weapons ban was in effect, firearms deaths were about half of what they were (are are again).

Gun deaths to surpass deaths in traffic accidents by 2015: report

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2G9s9FTCV

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Gun Control Act of 1968 eliminated mail order sale. As a lad, I ordered a .410 shotgun from Sears Guns were far more available then. My local drugstore sold ammunition, not an uncommon thing. And shootings were far less than today. What happened was the liberal cultural revolution of the '60's. Express yourself. I gotta be me.

The ties that bound, the unity of shared values were replaced with mocking. See that cruel person, David Letterman any night of the week - he's emblematic.

I could cite numerous incidents in my own locality, where the presence of firearms in the hands of responsible folks have prevented tragedy.

Let me ask you gun haters a hypothetical: you are on the sidewalk outside my house. I hear a ruckus, open the door, and see a perp threatening you and your family. When I get out my shotgun to protect you, do you dig your heels in, and tell me to go away? Answer that, please.

The problem isn't firearms, it's a destruction of values largely perpetrated by one of the major political parties in the craven interest of fatting themselves by keeping themselves in control. So corrupt. And the Yutes of America champion them. A Weimer Republic, Gulags, camps are around the corner. You bleeding sods, you are going to reap the consequences. I'm glad my days are short.

Me too.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,487 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Op: Those are part of the issue, but the bigger picture is that the United States uses violence as official policy; we're using drones in at least half a dozen other countries, killing civilians more often than not. At least half of the states have some form of the death penalty(which puts us in some unique company with North Korea, China and Saudi Arabia; they have it as well). Also, we don't seem to have the "we're all in this together" mindset that is seen in so many other countries; here, it's almost a "I've got mine so F you!" attitude.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21