Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A thing about NE I never see in Buffalo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A thing about NE I never see in Buffalo

Even though there is some team continuity, in the NFL every season a coach gets a new team, it's never the team he had the year before.

In New England, Belichick takes that team from training camp & builds up as the season progresses. The best time to play NE is the 1st month of the season because Belichick is still working the bugs out, but as the weeks go on NE just keeps getting better & better, building to peak as the season gets to it's latter stages. That's why the Bills could beat the Pats last year & Arizona could this year in September. Even back in 2003, the Bills were able to win 31-0 on opening day, but in the last game the score was reversed. Most injuries don't matter because by the time the season is ending Belichick has either coached up the new backups to be able to come right in and play, or cut the deadwood & replaced them with a veteran who can step right in.

In Buffalo we get worse as the season goes on. Injuries always pile up & every year by the end of the season we get the excuses that next year all the injured players will be back & we can't possibly have that many injuries because this year is an obvious aberration. Yet every year by this time, we have guys in there starting who won't be in the league next year. We're not seeing rookies on the rise getting plugged in in December. Well coached teams get better the longer the season gets. Poorly coached teams get worse & get injured.

Also, we need a good strength & conditioning program, something we haven't had since the Super Bowl years. Ever notice how just about all the key players were in there for the playoffs during the Bills Super Bowl years? Yes, Kelly and others missed a game or 2 but virtually none of them were ever out for the season in January.

2. Post thanked by:

cookie G (12-11-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (12-11-2012),imbondz (12-11-2012),Mike (12-12-2012)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A thing about NE I never see in Buffalo

I don't agree. The Bills started out like garbage this year. They have improved, but not by much.

Your point about NE is noted though and I concur.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

4. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-11-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Even though there is some team continuity, in the NFL every season a coach gets a new team, it's never the team he had the year before.

In New England, Belichick takes that team from training camp & builds up as the season progresses. The best time to play NE is the 1st month of the season because Belichick is still working the bugs out, but as the weeks go on NE just keeps getting better & better, building to peak as the season gets to it's latter stages. That's why the Bills could beat the Pats last year & Arizona could this year in September. Even back in 2003, the Bills were able to win 31-0 on opening day, but in the last game the score was reversed. Most injuries don't matter because by the time the season is ending Belichick has either coached up the new backups to be able to come right in and play, or cut the deadwood & replaced them with a veteran who can step right in.

In Buffalo we get worse as the season goes on. Injuries always pile up & every year by the end of the season we get the excuses that next year all the injured players will be back & we can't possibly have that many injuries because this year is an obvious aberration. Yet every year by this time, we have guys in there starting who won't be in the league next year. We're not seeing rookies on the rise getting plugged in in December. Well coached teams get better the longer the season gets. Poorly coached teams get worse & get injured.

Also, we need a good strength & conditioning program, something we haven't had since the Super Bowl years. Ever notice how just about all the key players were in there for the playoffs during the Bills Super Bowl years? Yes, Kelly and others missed a game or 2 but virtually none of them were ever out for the season in January.
    Every team has strength and conditioning programs, but even the best can't prevent sprained or torn ligament. Neither can it prevent broken bones. I see a lot of fans point to that when injuries rear their ugly head. I guess they have to blame something other than bad luck.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    I don't agree. The Bills started out like garbage this year. They have improved, but not by much.

Your point about NE is noted though and I concur.
    You can't use the blowout on opening day as the sole reason you say they started out like garbage. They were 2-1 after 3 games & have been 3-7 since. I don't consider that improvement. In fact, the 5 wins were against some of the worst teams in football: Kansas City(2-11), Cleveland (5-8, they are a lot better now than they were in September), Arizona (4-9), Miami (5-8, probably the best team we've beaten this year) & Jacksonville (2-11). That's a combined 18-47 (.277).
    None of these teams is even close to .500. The bottom line-if we play a horrendous team like KC or Jax at home, we're going to win easily. Same result in week 2 as week 13. If we beat Seattle, then we can talk improvement, but if we win only one more time or lose out, I can't see any improvement.

7. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (12-11-2012),Lone Stranger (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the patriots get more data from their methods of cheating with Ernie Adams. As a result, they get better at stealing other people's signals and continuously send them down to the sidelines to brady's helmet after the 15 second cut off.

it goes unchecked. they also get the most timely ugly calls that totally kill any momentum a team has. Houston watches 2 or 3 very questionable calls go up in the first two/three drives and they are down 21-0. Then in the 3rd and 4th quarter there are some make up calls to go the otherway to make it look like it was called the other way. it's a travesty.

9. Post thanked by:

colin (12-11-2012),DynaPaul (12-11-2012),Fixxxer (12-12-2012),Lone Stranger (12-11-2012),Oldbillsfan (12-11-2012),pmoon6 (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Every team has strength and conditioning programs, but even the best can't prevent sprained or torn ligament. Neither can it prevent broken bones. I see a lot of fans point to that when injuries rear their ugly head. I guess they have to blame something other than bad luck.
    The bottom line is the good teams have weeded out the deadwood & coached up the young players so they can go in & win. We have the same guys we brought to camp & they're still not ready to play in the NFL in December. I guarantee that unless they're both on the Bills bench next year because of a lack of depth, that at least one of the Snow, Young OL duo is out of the league & neither one will ever be a capable starter.

11. Post thanked by:

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    the patriots get more data from their methods of cheating with Ernie Adams. As a result, they get better at stealing other people's signals and continuously send them down to the sidelines to brady's helmet after the 15 second cut off.

it goes unchecked. they also get the most timely ugly calls that totally kill any momentum a team has. Houston watches 2 or 3 very questionable calls go up in the first two/three drives and they are down 21-0. Then in the 3rd and 4th quarter there are some make up calls to go the otherway to make it look like it was called the other way. it's a travesty.
    Totally true IMO. I see so many games where the flags fly against one team when the game is in doubt and then when it's out of reach, they call it the other way. The league can say "Look at the stat sheet, penalties were even". That doesn't come close to the real story. I will add that the propaganda arm of the NFL (NFL Network, ESPN and even the network game broadcasters) never say much about the dismal officiated. They have a gag order and are afraid to lose their jobs. They're all part of the same hypocricy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I find it interesting that of the 4 hardest teams they had on the schedule, Hou, SF, DEnver, Baltimore, they played 3 of the 4 at home.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Or is it that they don't look like they're moving in slow motion when their receivers are running routes or Brady is throwing the ball? Or that instead of 3 yard cut in routes their receivers can go 5 and, dare I say, 8 yard routes to loosen the coverage and set up the run, while also completing passes of those distances to get first downs?! On defense, they put their hands in the air to bat balls and get physical with the receiver after reception to knock balls loose?

They are a different level. Two freak of nature Tight Ends who can block, unbelievable depth at WR, a line that can pave the way for a cripple in a wheelchair, Running Backs that can run, catch, and block, a defense littered with LB and DL talent that makes up for the below-average (now looking above average/good) talent... That's how you build a franchise. It's disgusting what that team can do.
    Bye Bye Brady...

15. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Seriously Albany NY, what are you thinking? You can't compare anyone to New England precisely because of what trapezeus posted. You have to compare them to a real team.

17. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (12-11-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The bottom line is the good teams have weeded out the deadwood & coached up the young players so they can go in & win. We have the same guys we brought to camp & they're still not ready to play in the NFL in December. I guarantee that unless they're both on the Bills bench next year because of a lack of depth, that at least one of the Snow, Young OL duo is out of the league & neither one will ever be a capable starter.
    That's a question of depth and coaching, not conditioning. The single biggest problem I see is the lack of passion, especially on the offense. That comes down to the coaching staff and trickles down to the leaders of the team. A change is certainly needed, we need some fire, some attitude. The defense has come around in my view and something to build on. What I was worried at the beginning of the season and it has come to fruition. How can you run a spread offense with only one good receiver?

Unfortunately, I also see the FO just promoting Wannstedt to HC. That has been their MO. I will throw out some names and tell me what you think for head coach. Steve Spagnola, Mike Nolan, Jack Del Rio, Jim Haslett. I think most of those guys could put a fire under some of our players. Dave Wannstedt, not so much.
    Last edited by pmoon6; 12-11-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can't use the blowout on opening day as the sole reason you say they started out like garbage. They were 2-1 after 3 games & have been 3-7 since.
    Hold on a second. Those two wins were against even worse garbage than the Bills. I see some improvement in the Bills defense. In that win against KC, they gave up 400+ yards to a team that has done that twice all year. From the Bills perspective, they gave up 400+ yards and 40+ points in three of the first five weeks (and nearly 400 against the Jets). Since then, they have not given up 400+ or 40+ points and have held the opposition to under 300 yards three times.

The Bills suck. Overall, I would say it's a wash. They are what they are. Mediocre.
    Last edited by gebobs; 12-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.

20. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,905 Times in 4,025 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At least as far it goes with the Bills vs. the Pats, it isn't hard to understand why the 2nd game is usually a blowout, (as it has been for the past 10 years or so.)

He watches the tape of the first game;
    He figures out what they are doing;
    He does something else.

A simple matter of adjustments. They have a coach smart enough to understand that, as well as a QB smart enough to implement it.

A relatively uncomplicated concept that gets lost on many people, including coaches in the NFL.

Kyle Williams said it the best after the first game...

They don't force things, they take what a defense gives them. But for them, they are smart enough to know what a defense is giving them.

Of course, our defense gave them everything this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think your argument has some merit on some points. I agree with gebob in that the Bills have improved during the season in some areas. The defense, statistically speaking, is quite a bit better, though they are still unable to stop opponents in critical situations. The continuity in New England is a powerful factor in their continued success. We can't know exactly what happens during New England's practice routine during the week, but speculating, it may be that with a strong core of veteran starting players, Belichick is able to reduce somewhat the reps that they get during practice so that young backups get more reps than a typical team. That makes for less dropoff and fewer mistakes when they enter games. It helps that Tom Brady is a very talented QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick needs every practice rep he can get during the week. That's why Tarvares Jackson can't get a sniff of activation. He just has so little opportunity to practice, he still doesn't know what he's doing.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water! THE END OF ALL DAYS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's all about the freaking quarterback! Brady is unbelievably good and that is why this team is good year after year. Everything revolves around the quarterback and until we get a great one we will be just another ugly little sister.
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Why so Serious? View Post
    It's all about the freaking quarterback! Brady is unbelievably good and that is why this team is good year after year. Everything revolves around the quarterback and until we get a great one we will be just another ugly little sister.
    But to the OP's point, NE seems to progress as the year goes on. This year is a great example. They lose 2 of 3, including the hapless Cardinals, but are 9 of their last 10. The previous two seasons, they went a combined 16-0 in the second half of the season.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,482 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll say it again " KILLER INSTINCT". Pats have it bills don't.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I'll say it again " KILLER INSTINCT". Pats have it bills don't.
    Pats should be flagged every play for too many men on the field. Their 11 and the six in stripped shirts.

27. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-11-2012),Fixxxer (12-12-2012),trapezeus (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,482 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Pats should be flagged every play for too many men on the field. Their 11 and the six in stripped shirts.
    I agree. But still, they just step on your throat while the zebra's hold you down.

29. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Players believe in the hoodie...........because what he teaches them produces results on the field. Why would anyone follow Gailey when he consistently puts out a gameplan that doesn't work on sundays?
    You can call me streetkings