Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

  1. #1
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    72,780
    Thanks
    2,991
    Thanked 5,315 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    205
    ZoneBux
    146,394.78
    Bank
    245,480.04
    Total ZoneBux
    391,874.82
    Donate

    The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    Or, OpIv37's ultimate "I told you so" thread:

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...270637790.html

  2. Post thanked by:

    Historian (12-12-2012)

  3. #2
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    49,744
    Thanks
    547
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    200
    ZoneBux
    86,293.91
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    86,293.91
    Donate

    Re: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    That should work for soldiers. Not.

    The only time you should never think positive , is when taking a medical exam like an aids test.

  4. #3
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    72,780
    Thanks
    2,991
    Thanked 5,315 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    205
    ZoneBux
    146,394.78
    Bank
    245,480.04
    Total ZoneBux
    391,874.82
    Donate

    Re: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    That should work for soldiers. Not.

    The only time you should never think positive , is when taking a medical exam like an aids test.
    Most of us aren't soldiers. Most of us aren't at war, unless you buy into the conservative "war on drugs" "war on Christmas" nonsense.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,793
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 232 Times in 149 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    16,532.66
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    16,532.66
    Donate

    Re: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    Weird article. I understand contemplating a worse case scenario. I think a true unhappy pessimist EXPECTS the worst, not only just thinks about it. I found that gratitude is a good indicator of happiness. A good quote "happiness is not having what your want, it's wanting what you have."



  6. Post thanked by:

    sukie (12-12-2012)

  7. #5
    i appear missing JoeMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,653
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4,643 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25
    ZoneBux
    68,920.19
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    68,920.19
    Donate

    Re: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    You gotta figure that people who intentionally try to conjure up nothing but positive thoughts, are probably clinically depressed in the first place -- or else they wouldn't feel the need to take part in such a kooky mental exercise.

    Plus, seasonal depression can be a factor in the winter.

    I don't know how much I agree with their conclusions. I have no shortage of racing negative thoughts, and I don't find it particularly enjoyable.

  8. Post thanked by:

    mercyrule (12-12-2012)

  9. #6
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,221
    Thanks
    670
    Thanked 835 Times in 560 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    8
    ZoneBux
    48,978.01
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    48,978.01
    Donate

    Re: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    Weird article. I understand contemplating a worse case scenario. I think a true unhappy pessimist EXPECTS the worst, not only just thinks about it. I found that gratitude is a good indicator of happiness. A good quote "happiness is not having what your want, it's wanting what you have."
    Awesome post

  10. #7
    Negavite Sammich OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    72,780
    Thanks
    2,991
    Thanked 5,315 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    205
    ZoneBux
    146,394.78
    Bank
    245,480.04
    Total ZoneBux
    391,874.82
    Donate

    Re: The Power of NEGATIVE Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    You gotta figure that people who intentionally try to conjure up nothing but positive thoughts, are probably clinically depressed in the first place -- or else they wouldn't feel the need to take part in such a kooky mental exercise.

    Plus, seasonal depression can be a factor in the winter.

    I don't know how much I agree with their conclusions. I have no shortage of racing negative thoughts, and I don't find it particularly enjoyable.
    I think this applies to a good portion of the BZ. Every year before the season starts, no matter how bleak things look, all they want to hear about are positive things. It's like they are mentally incapable of handling the thought that the Bills will be bad again, even after so many years of being bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •