Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nix: “Time’s now” to trade up for a QB

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nix: “Time’s now” to trade up for a QB

From PFT:

“Let me say this: I think there’s a time that in the era that you’re in and the development of your team, there’s a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback,” Nix said on WGR, unsolicited (via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News). “And I think the time’s now for us.

“I mean, if a guy’s there — I keep saying that, and there’ll be one out there — if the guy’s there, then I think we’ll target — as I’ve said before — drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we’re going to do our best to get him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-up-for-a-qb/

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Nix: “Time’s now” to trade up for a QB

He knows. And he's not hiding his cards, because everyone knows.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The old soothe-sayer, Buddy Nix, is at it again.

Just when we're ready to bang our heads against a wall over Fitz, Nix saves the day and tells us what we want to hear. He's ready to get a QB.

Unfortunately for us, this is a terrible year for QBs.

The only guy I can envision being worthy of an upward trade is Geno Smith.

Luck and RGIII are any indication, you can win now with a rookie phenom.

We do have some weapons on this team, so it's not a situation where we'll be throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i just want an accurate passer who can get the ball to the sidelines without a huge wind-up.

i need to see more on geno smith, but the way he couldn't win any of the tougher games has me very concerned.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    The old soothe-sayer, Buddy Nix, is at it again.

Just when we're ready to bang our heads against a wall over Fitz, Nix saves the day and tells us what we want to hear. He's ready to get a QB.

Unfortunately for us, this is a terrible year for QBs.

The only guy I can envision being worthy of an upward trade is Geno Smith.

Luck and RGIII are any indication, you can win now with a rookie phenom.

We do have some weapons on this team, so it's not a situation where we'll be throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.
    Well, just based on Nix's quote, it sounds more like they are talking about trading back into the 1st to get a QB....not necessarily making an RGIII like trade to get into the top 3.

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-14-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like everything I have read on Smith's studying. And I really want to avoid a SOCal boy. So I am hoping for Smith or Wilson if he falls.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nix either has something in mind and is trying to get his fans accustomed to the idea of making a big move, or he’s been swayed by the marketing department to keep the 5-8 Bills pertinent by talking about a bold plan.

We'll go with the latter.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

To be honest losing out would put us in a place where trading up would be moot.

Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker Throne Logic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow. If we give up something like what Washington did for the sake of drafting Gino Smith (or any other QB in this draft), this franchise will set itself up for yet another 5+ years of mediocrity.

That said, at least it might be a bit more of an entertaining mediocrity than we'd see on the current path. . .
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Of course he said that. Hope is the only thing they have to sell.

12. Post thanked by:

Billz_fan (12-14-2012),DynaPaul (12-14-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post

i need to see more on geno smith, but the way he couldn't win any of the tougher games has me very concerned.
    Many of his tougher games were shoot outs. I find it tough to blame a loss on a QB when they score 49 points, like he did against Oklahoma.

Kansas St. and Texas Tech did their best to take away the deep ball on him. Kansas St. did a great job of giving him the 5 yard throw, but using their open field tackling skills to keep the gain at 5 yards. Still, in that game, they would show a replay and it looked like the deep throw was there but he was tentative. His deep throws before that were when a guy had 5 yards on a DB. The window wasn't quit there as it had in the past, but it seemed to be there.

He throws a good ball and is VERY accurate.

Against Texas, he was very good about recognizing the blitz pre-snap and audibling.

I just don't see him getting past KC anyways. They're desperate for a QB, everyone knows it, and I don't think their fans would be happy with them trading away the ability to get him.

Same with Arizona.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With all the talk about this being a bad draft for qb's, is it too far fetched to think that there could be a Dalton , Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson from amongst the litter?

15. Post thanked by:

ThunderGun (12-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After seeing 3-5 starting NFL QBs that have been available when the Bills have drafted since Nix came here and he passed on, including 2nd & 3rd rounders, I have serious doubts about Nix's and the Bills scouts QB evaluation skills to make the right choice & trade up for the right guy.

17. Post thanked by:

Billz_fan (12-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    With all the talk about this being a bad draft for qb's, is it too far fetched to think that there could be a Dalton , Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson from amongst the litter?
    No, but considering how Buddy picked Aaron Williams & T.J. Graham instead of any of these 3 (2 of them the next 2 picks after Williams), what makes you think Buddy is competent enough to pick the guys equivalent to one of them & not do something stupid like last year when the Vikings saw a run on QBs & reached for Christian Ponder at 12 when both Dalton & Kaepernick were there for either a trade down in the 1st or a trade up in the 2nd? Buddy is more likely to mirror the Vikings than the 49ers who were originally drafting 2 spots behind the Vikings in the 2nd round & traded up 9 spots for Kaepernick. Minnesota would have been better off not reaching in the 1st & then doing what SF did in the 2nd, trading their 2nd & a 4th to move up for Kaepernick. Once again, it comes down to the quality of your scouting & board & I can't trust the Bills based on what they've done when QBs have been available in recent drafts.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    No, but considering how Buddy picked Aaron Williams & T.J. Graham instead of any of these 3 (2 of them the next 2 picks after Williams), what makes you think Buddy is competent enough to pick the guys equivalent to one of them & not do something stupid like last year when the Vikings saw a run on QBs & reached for Christian Ponder at 12 when both Dalton & Kaepernick were there for either a trade down in the 1st or a trade up in the 2nd? Buddy is more likely to mirror the Vikings than the 49ers who were originally drafting 2 spots behind the Vikings in the 2nd round & traded up 9 spots for Kaepernick. Minnesota would have been better off not reaching in the 1st & then doing what SF did in the 2nd, trading their 2nd & a
    4th to move up for Kaepernick. Once again, it comes down to the quality of your scouting & board & I can't trust the Bills based on what they've done when QBs have been available in recent drafts.
    I was baffled about the Graham pick but Williams was considered a steal at the time and no one was complaining back then.

Nix may pull the trigger this time.

20. Post thanked by:

ThunderGun (12-14-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Nope. It'll just take a more work to find the right one, unless you just want to throw darts.

A cursory review at the Senior Bowl and combine won't be enough.

Miles and miles of tape study and dozens and dozens of interviews.

And what makes it tough is that it won't be narrowed down to 2-3 prospects, you're talking a dozen or more.

I said before, I'd outsource the job to Polian. I'm pretty sure he'd put in the time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    After seeing 3-5 starting NFL QBs that have been available when the Bills have drafted since Nix came here and he passed on, including 2nd & 3rd rounders, I have serious doubts about Nix's and the Bills scouts QB evaluation skills to make the right choice & trade up for the right guy.
    Maybe he didn't want to draft a raw QB and throw him behind our crappy OLine. He finally has the OLine looking good, so it's time to get a QB.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderGun View Post
    Maybe he didn't want to draft a raw QB and throw him behind our crappy OLine. He finally has the OLine looking good, so it's time to get a QB.

That's kinda backward. If your OL is crap, don't let that stop you from grabbing a good qb prospect. You let him sit until you work on that OL as you see fit.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    That's kinda backward. If your OL is crap, don't let that stop you from grabbing a good qb prospect. You let him sit until you work on that OL as you see fit.
    Easier said than done. With the crap play of Fitz at QB, if there was a Rookie QB with potential sitting on the bench, fans would be SCREAMING for Fitz to be benched & start the Rookie. MANY young QBs have had their careers ruined that way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Easier said than done. With the crap play of Fitz at QB, if there was a Rookie QB with potential sitting on the bench, fans would be SCREAMING for Fitz to be benched & start the Rookie. MANY young QBs have had their careers ruined that way.
    Right. And, when these rookies are signed to 4 or 5 year deal, the pressure is high to get them on the field in year 1. If we draft a QB and he is signed for 4 years, do we really want him riding the bench for 1/4 of his time with the team?

Build the lines first, then plug in your QB.

26. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-14-2012)