Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunatic packing heat pulls off yet another mass killing... in an elementary school!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: Lunatic packing heat pulls off yet another mass killing... in an elementary schoo

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    I forgot, we need to close the gun show loophole and require the same conditions on private owner sales as well.

It's against the law in NJ to resell baby furniture (cribs, high chairs etc) because it severs the link for recall notices yet there are massive loopholes to resell firearms.

You also need to file paperwork when you resell a car, boat or camper.

Something doesn't make sense here.

2. Post thanked by:

Blondie (12-16-2012),Historian (12-16-2012),Mouldsie (12-17-2012),MST3KBillsfan (12-16-2012),SpikedLemonade (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: Lunatic packing heat pulls off yet another mass killing... in an elementary schoo

It sounds like the mom was a prepper according to her sister.

4. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    The sad part is a lot of you will wish you owned a gun once the government runs out of money to pay the police. (or better yet, they are still paying them, but only to "protect the government")

One of the reasons the media are still asking questions of law enforcement re: the guns used, is there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. One gun remained behind in the car (why?) then suddenly "all the guns" were found in the building. And who is the guy from the woods?

The "news media" encouraging people to pray? Interesting! Since they normally do so much to encourage that prayer is ELIMINTATED from public life. Now suddenly they are going to have credibility as they ask people to pray?

Now schools are going to be ever more vigilant with their new safety features. However, what metal detector stops a gunman from firing his way into a building? What locked door prevents this?

Patti

Most likely patti a lot of the conflicting stories are because the media was reporting anything they heard without checking facts because the story was unfloding so fast and the police weren't releasing information.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

6. Post thanked by:

Blondie (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

8. Post thanked by:

jdaltroy5 (12-18-2012)

rodger dorn of predictions Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

We are a nation awash in guns. After the assault weapon ban expired in 2004, I gather there has been no federal legislation to replace it? So I imagine restrictions on automatic or semi-automatic weapons would be strictly based on state laws concerning them. It will be interesting to see whether anything is done at the federal level, at least with respect to banning automatic or semi-automatic weapons. I think it would be difficult to barricade schools enough to keep a shooter from getting in, but perhaps it could be done. (schools without windows? Doors that cannot be shot open? metal detectors for employees and students?)

In Israel teachers are permitted to carry guns, this has been the case since 1974 when a Palestinian militant group attacked a class and killed 16 students. However that is a highly militarized state, where seeing guns in public is commonplace. Perhaps that is where we are headed as a society if we can't get a handle of the gun problem.

Patti

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 2,218 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    It's against the law in NJ to resell baby furniture (cribs, high chairs etc) because it severs the link for recall notices yet there are massive loopholes to resell firearms.

You also need to file paperwork when you resell a car, boat or camper.

Something doesn't make sense here.
    In NYS, paperwork needs to be filed with any resale of a handgun. Not with shotguns and rifles, though, as those aren't required to be registered.

Fire Depts in my area have latched on to gun raffles as a fund-raiser, and they net a helluva lot more $$ in one afternoon than they did with a year's worth of Bingo nights. I honestly don't know exact details of the process, but there is some kind of a background check involved before any firearms are turned over, and the Fire Dept can get in a heap of **** for not having their paperwork in order or turning over a gun to an individual who shouldn't be eligible.

Long you live and high you fly And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry And all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I can't imagine a situation where a school can be locked up enough to protect it from someone intent on carnage. I guess if a school had a police officer inside who wasn't close enough to the door to get shot first may help but schools are just open by design.

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 2,218 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I can't imagine a situation where a school can be locked up enough to protect it from someone intent on carnage.
    Because one doesn't exist.

13. Post thanked by:

EricStratton (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

As long as we're flinging the bans around, this kid was addicted to violent video games.

Patti

15. Post thanked by:

imbondz (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

As long as we're flinging the bans around, this kid was addicted to violent video games.

Patti

They do seem to desensitize people.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,817 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

One of the reasons the media are still asking questions of law enforcement re: the guns used, is there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. One gun remained behind in the car (why?) then suddenly "all the guns" were found in the building. And who is the guy from the woods?
    What I read was he had a .223 Bushmaster (basically an AR-15, but they can't call it that because Colt owns that name), a Glock 9mm, and a Sig Sauer, but they didn't give a caliber. All were semi-auto. The weapon found in the car was a semi auto Russian shotgun which is pretty expensive. It really doesn't matter what the calibers are, even if the Sig was a 9mm, .40, .45. it makes little difference. I would assume he didn't bring the shotgun because he already had enough firepower and it would encumber his movements by carry two bigger weapons. The handguns were in the pockets of his cargo pants.
    One Shot, One Kill

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

We are a nation awash in guns. After the assault weapon ban expired in 2004, I gather there has been no federal legislation to replace it? So I imagine restrictions on automatic or semi-automatic weapons would be strictly based on state laws concerning them. It will be interesting to see whether anything is done at the federal level, at least with respect to banning automatic or semi-automatic weapons. I think it would be difficult to barricade schools enough to keep a shooter from getting in, but perhaps it could be done. (schools without windows? Doors that cannot be shot open? metal detectors for employees and students?)

In Israel teachers are permitted to carry guns, this has been the case since 1974 when a Palestinian militant group attacked a class and killed 16 students. However that is a highly militarized state, where seeing guns in public is commonplace. Perhaps that is where we are headed as a society if we can't get a handle of the gun problem.

Patti
    There have been 4 attempts by Congress to get the Clinton gun ban reinstituted and expanded. None have made it out of committee. The Whitehouse didn't make a big push because it would have hurt Obama's re-election chances. I fully expected, two years ago, that Obama would put his weight behind new gun legislation when he won another term. He already started by supporting the UN ban.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 998 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Patti
    Cool - that means compulsory military service for men and women! That should go down well.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof ~ Christopher Hitchens

Dumber than the average blonde :-) Blondie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

We live in a world where we cant make everyone happy.

As much as one might want the right to own a gun the other has the right to ask that not be allowed.

If safety is the common ground then we need to with banning all guns. Don't care who that pisses off. Guns are made for one purpose. To kill. Ban them .
    Fabulous 40 .. my next decade begins :-)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    We live in a world where we cant make everyone happy.

As much as one might want the right to own a gun the other has the right to ask that not be allowed.

If safety is the common ground then we need to with banning all guns. Don't care who that pisses off. Guns are made for one purpose. To kill. Ban them .
    See, this is why the discussion goes nowhere and nothing gets done. People on once side take an extreme position and then the other side reacts with an equal extreme position. Common sense arguments and solutions go out the window in favor of the noise which rises to mega decibel levels.

When I hear crap like this, it makes even reasonable gun owners just throw up their hands and say "If that's how you feel and what you want, *** you. Come and take them if you can".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    See, this is why the discussion goes nowhere and nothing gets done. People on once side take an extreme position and then the other side reacts with an equal extreme position. Common sense arguments and solutions go out the window in favor of the noise which rises to mega decibel levels.

When I hear crap like this, it makes even reasonable gun owners just throw up their hands and say "If that's how you feel and what you want, *** you. Come and take them if you can".
    C'mon Moon there's gonna be extremists on both sides! What we need to do is appeal to the more rational, people willing to talk, like you for instance. We can get something done if we want, we just have to have the will, and not pay attention to the extremists.

23. Post thanked by:

Blondie (12-16-2012),pmoon6 (12-16-2012)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

It sounds like the mom was a prepper according to her sister.
    OK, I'm not up on the terminology...what's a prepper?

I should also note the front page of the NY Post noted that the mom was a grade A gun nut.
    "Let me give you some advice, bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you."

-Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow, "Game of Thrones"

25. Post thanked by:

Blondie (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post

I should also note the front page of the NY Post noted that the mom was a grade A gun nut.
    A prepper is someone preparing for some type of apocalypse, you know like Pete used to talk about! :)

27. Post thanked by:

Blondie (12-16-2012),ckg927 (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post

I don't know if three guns makes a "gun nut."

There are more gun suicides in this country than homicides.

Patti

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I can't imagine a situation where a school can be locked up enough to protect it from someone intent on carnage. I guess if a school had a police officer inside who wasn't close enough to the door to get shot first may help but schools are just open by design.
    Every school should have a checkpoint at the entrance from the main road, where an armed guard sits, with the same license plate technology that they have at the Canadian border, when school is in session.

If you have kids in the district, you get a sticker for your car window.

Then, once you're buzzed in, you pass through a discopatty style full body scanner.

Our district already has a police officer on site full time, which we found out after my daughter's ipod was stolen.