Thread: Good luck in the offseason

Thanks
    Thanked 5,843 Times in 3,496 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good luck in the offseason

No way in hell that ANY self respecting free agent is going to sign with Buffalo if Gailey is running the team and Fitz is the QB.

I haven't seen this kind of ineptitude since, well... Last week.

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-16-2012),Novacane (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Good luck in the offseason

Money talks. Ask Mario Williams.

He left a tea that was on the rise for this because...of the almighty dollar.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post

In a sick twisted way I actually like that we can finally say that.

5. Post thanked by:

ThunderGun (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,843 Times in 3,496 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wanted to mention that but I figured the Bills are done handing out big contracts so they can save done money.

The only way the FOR is going to sell tickets next season is to fire Nix and Gailey and bring in a HC with a nice résumé, but we know that's not happening.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,888 Times in 4,014 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, that's basically the type of guy you're going to get.

I watched him in the first half.

You put him against anyone who isn't a below average tackle...he's terrible. Less than mediocre.

TO's looking for money, I think we can get him again.

8. Post thanked by:

kingJofNYC (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

You put him against anyone who isn't a below average tackle...he's terrible. Less than mediocre.

Not entirely true on the type of player you'll get.

Pierre Garcon, when healthy, has played very well for Washington this year. Actually when healthy isn't even accurate, he's put up nice games the last few weeks and is nowhere near 100%.

They overpaid him to get him. Garcon himself even admitted he was shocked by how much money they offered.

It's not all about going out every year and signing the best guy or second best guy available in FA. You grab a couple of the top 20-25 guys and guarantee them a few more million than their perceived "value." Not everyone is persuaded by the almighty dollar, but there are plenty of players in the NFL who are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nailed it. More often than not a guy in Mario's situation is a loser. At least with Garcon he was looking at rebuild with the Colts or Skins, and he was always going to be second to Wayne in Indy, went somewhere else for a fresh start and piles of money. He wasn't leaving a winner, decided to go to a team that looked at him as a number, and also play in a vertical offense.

Mario's motivation was purely financial, dude went from a contender to perennial loser for a barrel full of money. Guy is a loser, is fine with it, as long as his bank account it full.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fools gold.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Texans didn't want to resign him. They thought they didn't need to pay him with the other guys they had and I think Wade wasn't convinced of him at OLB. They were right for letting him go. He was coming off injury and really didn't fit their defense. It really wasn't his choice, he had to hit the market.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    The Texans didn't want to resign him. They thought they didn't need to pay him with the other guys they had and I think Wade wasn't convinced of him at OLB. They were right for letting him go. He was coming off injury and really didn't fit their defense. It really wasn't his choice, he had to hit the market.
    Simply untrue. http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...-group-intact/

“We want Mario,” McNair said. “We’d like to have him. Unfortunately, other people would like to have him, too, and it depends on how much they’re willing to pay. We have limitations that constrain us, and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to keep him here. We’ve got Chris Myers. We want to keep him. We’ve got [Mike] Brisiel, we’ve got [Joel] Dreessen, we’ve got a lot of guys that we would like to keep, and so we’re trying to keep that core group together as best we can, and that’s our focus.”

And even if you want to regard the above as spin, smoke and mirrors or what have you...Mario still picked here. It's not like the Bills were the only franchise that wanted to sign him. The Bears were in the discussion and are a much closer team than we are to the ultimate goal. He went to where the money was the greatest.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Simply untrue. http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...-group-intact/

“We want Mario,” McNair said. “We’d like to have him. Unfortunately, other people would like to have him, too, and it depends on how much they’re willing to pay. We have limitations that constrain us, and we’re going to do everything we possibly can to keep him here. We’ve got Chris Myers. We want to keep him. We’ve got [Mike] Brisiel, we’ve got [Joel] Dreessen, we’ve got a lot of guys that we would like to keep, and so we’re trying to keep that core group together as best we can, and that’s our focus.”

And even if you want to regard the above as spin, smoke and mirrors or what have you...Mario still picked here. It's not like the Bills were the only franchise that wanted to sign him. The Bears were in the discussion and are a much closer team than we are to the ultimate goal. He went to where the money was the greatest.
    So did Bruce Smith until he was cut. He constantly *****ed after he signed a contract and then a couple years later someone got more money and he wanted a redo. "There is a pecking order here" I don't blame players for maximizing their earnings, they may be out of football on the next play. He also has 10.5 sacks and the defense has played 5 good games until today.

Mario Williams is nowhere near the player Smith was, but you also have to factor in how much the game has changed. They had to double or triple Bruce, but now the OL can hold a ridiculous amount and get away with it. I think Mario will have some really good seasons in Buffalo. I also question fans that ***** about signing Williams, but *****ed about the FO NOT signing free agents in the past. Buffalo has to overpay for players to even think about coming here. The organization and the city itself dictate that.

15. Post thanked by:

ThunderGun (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Nailed it. More often than not a guy in Mario's situation is a loser. At least with Garcon he was looking at rebuild with the Colts or Skins, and he was always going to be second to Wayne in Indy, went somewhere else for a fresh start and piles of money. He wasn't leaving a winner, decided to go to a team that looked at him as a number, and also play in a vertical offense.

Mario's motivation was purely financial, dude went from a contender to perennial loser for a barrel full of money. Guy is a loser, is fine with it, as long as his bank account it full.
    So what. Only an idiot would turn down 20 million just to be on a winning team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So did Bruce Smith until he was cut. He constantly *****ed after he signed a contract and then a couple years later someone got more money and he wanted a redo. "There is a pecking order here" I don't blame players for maximizing their earnings, they may be out of football on the next play. He also has 10.5 sacks and the defense has played 5 good games until today.

Mario Williams is nowhere near the player Smith was, but you also have to factor in how much the game has changed. They had to double or triple Bruce, but now the OL can hold a ridiculous amount and get away with it. I think Mario will have some really good seasons in Buffalo. I also question fans that ***** about signing Williams, but *****ed about the FO NOT signing free agents in the past. Buffalo has to overpay for players to even think about coming here. The organization and the city itself dictate that.
    You don't see me *****ing about signing him. Did they overpay him? Of course. But that's the nature of NFL free agency, combine that with the fact we're not a highly attractive place to come play for, you need to overpay to get or retain quality players here. But when you overpay for these guys you need to make sure that they're all hits. You can't afford to overpay guys like Dockery and Langston Walker.

My point is and will always be if you show these guys the money, they'll sign to play for you. It may not be every single guy that comes available but the majority of these guys care about their bottom line and providing for their family for years if not generations to come. If they didn't care most about the almighty dollar more and more guys would sign for less to stay in their current situation. Which is something Mario could have done.

I can't stand the defeatist mentality some people have thinking "well we suck, so we can never get anyone of value to come here."

18. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (12-16-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't see me *****ing about signing him. Did they overpay him? Of course. But that's the nature of NFL free agency, combine that with the fact we're not a highly attractive place to come play for, you need to overpay to get or retain quality players here. But when you overpay for these guys you need to make sure that they're all hits. You can't afford to overpay guys like Dockery and Langston Walker.

My point is and will always be if you show these guys the money, they'll sign to play for you. It may not be every single guy that comes available but the majority of these guys care about their bottom line and providing for their family for years if not generations to come. If they didn't care most about the almighty dollar more and more guys would sign for less to stay in their current situation. Which is something Mario could have done.

I can't stand the defeatist mentality some people have thinking "well we suck, so we can never get anyone of value to come here."
    Imo, free agency has hurt every sport. I get the right to work where you want thing and being compensated fairly. You can't do that without having competing offers. However, it gives a competitive advantage to the marquee teams and the glamor cities.

I'm not being defeatist thinking Buffalo has to pay top dollar for free agents. I believe that's just reality. Buffalo's national reputation is not one of the best.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Imo, free agency has hurt every sport. I get the right to work where you want thing and being compensated fairly. You can't do that without having competing offers. However, it gives a competitive advantage to the marquee teams and the glamor cities.

I'm not being defeatist thinking Buffalo has to pay top dollar for free agents. I believe that's just reality. Buffalo's national reputation is not one of the best.
    I wasn't saying you were one of those people with that mentality, to be clear.

I agree that we need to overpay people to get them here but I, unlike others, think we can do it.

How others disagree I don't know since Mario Williams is proof of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bring in Cowher. **** spending big money on big name free agents. Spend big money on Cowher. If Russ flew to his house with a case of 10,000,000 in cash he would sign right there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    Bring in Cowher. **** spending big money on big name free agents. Spend big money on Cowher. If Russ flew to his house with a case of 10,000,000 in cash he would sign right there.
    Well we all know why he wasn't realistically in play last time around, his wife and her health. That situation doesn't exist now, sadly for him.

Show him the money.