Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets

Re: High Draft Pick vs Winning Out

Division rivals.....beat them. We drafted 4th and got Mike Williams........could care less about draft position. Make better choices where ever you draft

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

I won't ever root for the Bills to lose, per se... But, it isn't going to break my heart if they do.

The problem with draft picks is, it's not where you pick that's important, it's who you pick. The Bills have had a hard time getting the right "who," regardless of the "where."

-Bill

Comment

• TrEd FTW
        • Sep 2008

I couldn't care less about the draft pick. I want the Bills to lose out so there's less justification for bringing back Nix, Gailey and Fitzpatrick. If they win out and finish 7-9, that could pass as "progress" to the idiots running the organization. 5-11, please.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
          I won't ever root for the Bills to lose, per se... But, it isn't going to break my heart if they do.

The problem with draft picks is, it's not where you pick that's important, it's who you pick. The Bills have had a hard time getting the right "who," regardless of the "where."

-Bill
          It matters where you pick if a superstar falls into your lap like both Manning & Luck did with Indy when they had the #1 pick. The higher you pick, the better chance that a superstar is available. What really matters is your timing on when you suck. Suck in a bad draft year like 2001 (2002 draft)and you get stuck with bums even with a top 5 pick (4 of the 1st 6 players were busts, a real aberration) Suck in 2011 & you have a shot at Luck or RGIII, possibly the 2 best 1-2 QBs ever to come out in the same draft.
          This year it will really depend on what the draft class looks like after all underclassmen have declared. It may matter, it may not. The best Bills related example is missing out on Roethlisberger & settling on a trade up for Losman. Hard to tell in December, but where we draft could be the difference between being a contender or another 2-3 years of futility.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

I'll root for a win but won't care if they lose. I hate the Dolphins and Jets more than I hate Gailey.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Superstar players can be found in any round...........Brees (2nd), Montana (3rd), Brady (6th)..........do not need the #1 overall

Comment

• Mike
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                This draft in particular, I don't think the Bills gain a lot from a top five pick other than the obligation to pay a top five salary. This draft is notable for the lack of consensus elite talent at the top, not just at the QB position, but in most positions. Geno Smith would not be a top five pick most years. Jarvis Jones has short arms and observers question whether he is a can't miss prospect. Star Lotulelei is good, but I saw a mock today suggesting Sheldon Richardson might be moving into consideration as the top DT (and Buffalo doesn't need one very badly anyway). Buffalo doesn't need Luke Joeckel at the left tackle spot. The odds are good that Buffalo can find talent that will help them anywhere in the top 10 as much as a top five pick. That might not be so in every draft, but I think that's true next year.
                Thats what makes the question more perplexing. This year the talent on the top is weaker and the benefit of having that pick is not what it would have been in the past few drafts.
                Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by THRILLHO View Post
                  My stance on the subject is well known. Its been my signature since last year. Only losers want to lose.
                  In sports, like in life, there are paradoxes. Sometimes in order to win your first must lose.
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                    It matters where you pick if a superstar falls into your lap like both Manning & Luck did with Indy when they had the #1 pick. The higher you pick, the better chance that a superstar is available. What really matters is your timing on when you suck. Suck in a bad draft year like 2001 (2002 draft)and you get stuck with bums even with a top 5 pick (4 of the 1st 6 players were busts, a real aberration) Suck in 2011 & you have a shot at Luck or RGIII, possibly the 2 best 1-2 QBs ever to come out in the same draft.
                    This year it will really depend on what the draft class looks like after all underclassmen have declared. It may matter, it may not. The best Bills related example is missing out on Roethlisberger & settling on a trade up for Losman. Hard to tell in December, but where we draft could be the difference between being a contender or another 2-3 years of futility.
                    Exactly. As great as the Steelers organization has been, they have only had 2 different QBs win a SB. All those other winning seasons weren't even a warm up, they were a tease. What really helped them win in the end was sucking at the right time for 1 year which lead to the drafting of Big Ben.
                    Please Make Sense

Comment

• kishoph
                      • Jun 2003

I can never root for the Bills to lose and on Sunday, I'm sure it will be the same, but at this point, I see more benefits in losing out, then I do winning out. I'm not going to say the draft position isn't important, because I believe it is, but what is more important to me is that the higher ups realize the team can not progress with Fitzpatrick at QB and Gailey as the head coach. If I had to choose between the two, I would want Fitz gone. The team has no chance of success if the QB can't make the most routine throws and continues to turn the ball over at crucial times.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

I voted losing out...not that I won't be rooting for a win but I think the Bills have the look of a team that has quit and will lose both games on their own.

I also don't want any reason to keep Chan and Fitz around.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ThunderGun
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by THRILLHO View Post
                          My stance on the subject is well known. Its been my signature since last year. Only losers want to lose.
                          Yeah, I bet all those loser Colts fans who wanted to suck-for-Luck last year feel really crappy right now.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets View Post
                            Division rivals.....beat them. We drafted 4th and got Mike Williams........could care less about draft position. Make better choices where ever you draft
                            this
                            Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                            and this
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SABURZFAN View Post
                              as a Bills fan, i always want them to win. the draft position doesn't seem to matter because it seems they always find a way to louse that up.
                              Normally I would agree with you. I hate to lose.
                              But this year, let's just say I wouldn't try to hard the next 2 games.
                              i don't see how the wins will help at this point. I would usually go for the win to help attitude.
                              This year was so disappointing I don't think it will matter.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                                Buffalo Bills Fan
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                                This draft in particular, I don't think the Bills gain a lot from a top five pick other than the obligation to pay a top five salary. This draft is notable for the lack of consensus elite talent at the top, not just at the QB position, but in most positions. Geno Smith would not be a top five pick most years. Jarvis Jones has short arms and observers question whether he is a can't miss prospect. Star Lotulelei is good, but I saw a mock today suggesting Sheldon Richardson might be moving into consideration as the top DT (and Buffalo doesn't need one very badly anyway). Buffalo doesn't need Luke Joeckel at the left tackle spot. The odds are good that Buffalo can find talent that will help them anywhere in the top 10 as much as a top five pick. That might not be so in every draft, but I think that's true next year.
                                Yep.

However, moving up the ladder extends past the 1st round. You rotate among the clubs with the same W-L loss record subject to a coin toss IIRC, so you have that leg up, so to speak, through the 7 rounds.
                                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                                X