Thanks
    Thanked 4,571 Times in 2,658 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Morning or Evening Runs?

So next October Im doing the Southern Oddessy race which is basically a relay race where you run from Atlanta, GA to Chattanooga, TN and then back to Atlanta. Its roughly 200 total miles and you have a team of 6-12 runners. At best each runner only has to 16.6 miles, at worst each runner has to 33.3. We figure to have 8-10 guys, so we know that for this race we all need to be in basic marathon shape.

Now Ive been trying to run in the evenings after work but its dark, cold (yes I know I live in the south), and frankly Im exhausted after spending 8-10 hours working. So my thought was maybe I should get up earlier and go for runs, but it will still be dark, and cold, and Ill still be tired.

So I have to convince myself of which way is better and just commit to it. So those of you who run which have you found to be more enjoyable? Morning Runs or Evening Runs?

I should add I have a rather demanding job so I can't be in a situation where Im so tired from my morning run that Im falling asleep in my office.

Im confident I can get the miles put in, I just need to figure which way is better.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,576 Times in 3,252 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Re: Morning or Evening Runs?

I really think it depends on the individual, but I prefer evening workouts.

I'm terrible about getting up in the mornings, so when I've tried to do morning workouts, I find it too easy to just stay in bed and skip it. I'm much more disciplined about working out in the evenings. Also, in the evenings, if I'm feeling energetic and want to get some extra work in, I usually have the time to extend the workout a little. In the mornings, I'm limited by having to get to work on time so I usually don't have the luxury to extend the workout.

The only thing I would consider in your situation: you said the race is in October, so presumably you will still be training in the summer. The mornings will probably be slightly less oppressively hot than the evenings once July and August roll around.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I really think it depends on the individual, but I prefer evening workouts.

I'm terrible about getting up in the mornings, so when I've tried to do morning workouts, I find it too easy to just stay in bed and skip it. I'm much more disciplined about working out in the evenings. Also, in the evenings, if I'm feeling energetic and want to get some extra work in, I usually have the time to extend the workout a little. In the mornings, I'm limited by having to get to work on time so I usually don't have the luxury to extend the workout.

The only thing I would consider in your situation: you said the race is in October, so presumably you will still be training in the summer. The mornings will probably be slightly less oppressively hot than the evenings once July and August roll around.
    True, Im trying to figure it all out. Best part about running is that Ill have a plan so I wont have the ability to extend workouts or at least I wont be tempted.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,984 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

When I was training for a marathon many moons ago, it was suggested that you train at the same time of day when the race is. Do you know when your particular "shift" will be, roughly?
    "I love both Dan and Wendy. I love those guys. They work so hard. The center-quarterback relationship is a pretty special one. I've got my hands on their butts probably more than their wives, so it's a pretty unique trust and relationship you have."
    -
    Tom Brady

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I love long relay races! (I've done a couple Ragnars)

I prefer to run in the morning, the day usually gets insanely busy for me and then by the time evening rolls around - I'm exhausted. When I run early morning, I don't fully "wake" up until a couple miles into the run LOL. My early morning runs in the summer are usually before work at 0300. Then winter time, I have to suck it up and squeeze runs in either in the afternoon or evening. I don't want to risk slipping on any black ice and getting hurt before the majority of people are "out and about".
    Congratulations to the following winners of the 2013 Official BZ Predictions Contest!!!
    1st: IlluminatusUIUC (12 games correctly predicted)
    2nd: elltrain22, MST3KBillsfan, SabreEleven, and The Natrix (10 games correctly predicted)
    3rd: Night Train (Ending record correctly predicted)

2013 Predictions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Morning, but only after sleeping on a heavy diet of beer and burrito's. I hate the runs, anytime.

Long you live and high you fly And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry And all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    When I was training for a marathon many moons ago, it was suggested that you train at the same time of day when the race is. Do you know when your particular "shift" will be, roughly?
    All over unfortunately. We'll try and time it out but everybody runs at different paces.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    All over unfortunately. We'll try and time it out but everybody runs at different paces.
    I've found that trying to time training around approximate relay times not all that helpful. It was more of a PITA than anything. So, I just focused more on my distances and threw in a couple twice a days when I was able too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

I hate doing anything before noon.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    I hate doing anything before noon.
    I don't ming doing things early as long as its after 4:30am. Anything after that Im usually pretty good to go.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    ZoneBux
    Bank
    Total ZoneBux
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I don't ming doing things early as long as its after 4:30am. Anything after that Im usually pretty good to go.
    Soooooo, you're saying that the odds of us doing a "summer run" are pretty slim......