Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Keep Gailey

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keep Gailey

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post

Gailey will not have a choice. Its the GM's job to build the team. Gailey to coach it. And I for one, maybe only one, think Gailey should get a shot with a young talented QB and a couple more impact players on O and D.
    It's NIx's job to build the team but it's Gailey's job to put things together and get them ready on gameday. After 3 years he hasn't PROVEN to be able to make the team AT LEAST competitive.

2. Post thanked by:

better days (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And with regards to Fitz. EVERYONE was fooled. The only difference is that everyone was fooled to a certain degree, some more than others. Some felt Fitz was a franchise QB for us for the next few years, some felt he was a good fill in until we get a true top ten guy and some felt he was a decent starter that would get us to the playoffs.

There was definitely a point where all Bills fans were in consensus that Fitz was the right option for that time. It turns out Fitz was never the answer and we should have been actively looking for a replacement.
    I would argue most Bills fans knew from day one that Fitz was a back-up that in the best of times was a stop-gap/journeyman starter. Only people who know nothing about football thought he was anything more.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And with regards to Fitz. EVERYONE was fooled. The only difference is that everyone was fooled to a certain degree, some more than others. Some felt Fitz was a franchise QB for us for the next few years, some felt he was a good fill in until we get a true top ten guy and some felt he was a decent starter that would get us to the playoffs.

There was definitely a point where all Bills fans were in consensus that Fitz was the right option for that time. It turns out Fitz was never the answer and we should have been actively looking for a replacement.
    There was never a consensus on Fitz. In fact, as bad as the Bills have been, the only time I remember a true consensus on this website was that Tim Anderson sucks. He was the ultimate uniter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Who said any of those guys were a true #2? The point is they have made up for the lack of #2 with a committee approach.

- - - Updated - - -

Bull**** and you know that.
    Yer saying you never had any hope or any positive feel that Fitz could take us to the playoffs? If not then congrats to you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am confident the issues will be fixed because Nix has commented on the very things that we feel need to be changed. Nix has already come out and been aggressive with his comments about a new QB and also about getting an impact LB.

Gailey will not have a choice. Its the GM's job to build the team. Gailey to coach it. And I for one, maybe only one, think Gailey should get a shot with a young talented QB and a couple more impact players on O and D.
    Except the issues with coaching don't have to do with getting new players. Yeah, that will help, but getting better players helps every coach. Like I said, good coaching shows no matter what the talent level is. Gailey misuses good players now, why is that going to change with more good players?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yer saying you never had any hope or any positive feel that Fitz could take us to the playoffs? If not then congrats to you.
    Even Fitz said this was his make or break year. He broke and Gailey couldn't fix him like Harbaugh was able to fix Smith.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Even Fitz said this was his make or break year. He broke and Gailey couldn't fix him like Harbaugh was able to fix Smith.
    Smith is actually talented. He's a big mobile QB with a good arm. He has been tossed from OC to OC his whole career though. He didn't need fixing he needed stability.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Smith is actually talented. He's a big mobile QB with a good arm. He has been tossed from OC to OC his whole career though. He didn't need fixing he needed stability.
    I don't care. Gailey had 3 years to fix his anointed qb. And here we are today with a broken qb who is not any better than he was last year under Gailey. IMO, Gailey wouldn't have made Smith what he is today.

I gave Gailey 3 years just like Jauron. After 3 years, the team isn't better. Time to move on. We are risking having to start over with a new HC, but I'll take a risk with the unknown than stay with the KNOWN which is a team that isn't better after 3 years despite having better players.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You know, it's funny.

Three years ago, after Gailey was hired, I wrote that it was a bad hire because he was a proven loser, and at best, a decent o coordinator.

And everybody threw bottles at me. (except OP)

Now everybody wants his scalp, and all it took was three more wasted seasons for most of you to come around.

Understand this, the dysfunction of this franchise goes way deeper than the current coach who is in over his head, and the current QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I've been following this team for 45 years, and I am convinced that we are doomed to failure until an entire new regime owns the team.

keep him...fire him...neither really matters much anymore.

12. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (12-27-2012),coastal (12-27-2012),OpIv37 (12-27-2012),pmoon6 (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

It'll be Russ Brandon's call because it comes down to ticket sales. Which will be easier for the fans to stomach? Staying the course rather than introducing more uncertainty and starting the resources over, or fresh blood to try to turn this thing around? Whichever one Brandon thinks is easier to market will be the way they go.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You know, it's funny.

Three years ago, after Gailey was hired, I wrote that it was a bad hire because he was a proven loser, and at best, a decent o coordinator.

Now everybody wants his scalp, and all it took was three more wasted seasons for most of you to come around.

Understand this, the dysfunction of this franchise goes way deeper than the current coach who is in over his head, and the current QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I've been following this team for 45 years, and I am convinced that we are doomed to failure until an entire new regime owns the team.

Ya know, it's gotten really bad when 45 and 50 year supporters don't care anymore. At the beginning of the year, I didn't have any excitement at all. I looked at the games with interest, but little optimism. For people that suffered through the '70's (oh wait..we had O.J. SIMPSON), the excitement and then disappointment of the Super Bowl years, a glimmer of hope with Wade, a great defense and Flutie, then the debacle of the last 12 years, they just can't take it anymore. Thank you Ralph, you finally beat us into submission. I hope your grandkids enjoy all the money we poured into your pockets.

15. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (12-27-2012),coastal (12-27-2012),Historian (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You know, it's funny.

My argument was that everyone deserved a second chance. Just like Levy, Bellicheat and Caroll. Now Dick , Wanny and Chan had their second chances and should never be a HC anymore.

17. Post thanked by:

better days (12-27-2012),Historian (12-27-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (12-27-2012)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Ya know, it's gotten really bad when 45 and 50 year supporters don't care anymore.
    The period from 67-72 was rough, but this last 12 years has been unprecedented. Sadder still, given we now have free agancy to help build a winning program quicker.

Even though we only had three winning seasons in the 70s, (73, 74, and 75) at least RW seemed engaged in the process.

Bottom out in 76 and 77? Go hire Knox.

Tank in 84 and 85? Promote Polian, bring in Levy, and throw money at the QB you drafted three years ago.

I don't see that anymore. Just a revolving door of second rate coaches, and high draft picks that didn't pan out for us.

Its a shame too. I've lived in several places, and this town is as loyal as it gets.

19. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (12-27-2012),coastal (12-27-2012),pmoon6 (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

nah

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Funny thread.

15-32 overall. 3-14 against the AFC East. 5-19 on the road. One victory against a team with a winning record.

Anyone who wants that back deserves these horrific results.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TrEd FTW View Post
    Funny thread.

15-32 overall. 3-14 against the AFC East. 5-19 on the road. One victory against a team with a winning record.

Anyone who wants that back deserves these horrific results.
    I'm not surprised with the reaction really. Cinci fans were probably screaming for a new coach for 5 years. Marvin was crappy too, apparently he is good now.

I don't doubt that Gailey should have done some things differently, but I also don't doubt that no matter what he did differently this season, we were always going to lose because you just don't win in this league without a QB unless you have the 2000 Ravens D or the 2010 Jets.

I get that our record has been horrible with Gailey but I think we are putting way too much stock in the impact a coach has vs the impact a QB has.

Just look at Denver. Manning made that team a 13-3 team. Not John Fox.

If Gailey had either of the Mannings or even Schaub or Flacco we would not be in this position. Didn't everyone run Kevin Gilbride out of town because he was the worst OC ever? What now he is a genius suddenly?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not surprised with the reaction really. Cinci fans were probably screaming for a new coach for 5 years. Marvin was crappy too, apparently he is good now.

I don't doubt that Gailey should have done some things differently, but I also don't doubt that no matter what he did differently this season, we were always going to lose because you just don't win in this league without a QB unless you have the 2000 Ravens D or the 2010 Jets.

I get that our record has been horrible with Gailey but I think we are putting way too much stock in the impact a coach has vs the impact a QB has.

Just look at Denver. Manning made that team a 13-3 team. Not John Fox.

If Gailey had either of the Mannings or even Schaub or Flacco we would not be in this position. Didn't everyone run Kevin Gilbride out of town because he was the worst OC ever? What now he is a genius suddenly?
    If the absence of a QB is the real problem shouldn't Nix get fired for not addressing the position? Buddy has not even tried to upgrade the position - which was an obvious problem spot from the day he rejoined the organization as a scout.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    If the absence of a QB is the real problem shouldn't Nix get fired for not addressing the position? Buddy has not even tried to upgrade the position - which was an obvious problem spot from the day he rejoined the organization as a scout.
    Well its not like Buddy passed on a QB that was an obvious choice. Obviously he missed out on some diamonds in the rough like Dalton and Wilson and Kaepernick but those are toss up type players that had lots of question marks.

Nix has made some encouraging comments though about how he plans to address it and I am interested to see what he comes up with.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My view was always that Fitz was at best a journeyman backup. I was relying entirely upon what I thought I was seeing. After seeing the Jets game a couple of years ago at the Rogers Centre I wad absolutely convinced that he was not a starting NFL QB. I could not believe how inaccurate his throws were.
    But you know what? You are right. I did have (faint) hope that he could prove me wrong. I was prepared to defer judgement. The reason was that two people who have forgotten more football than I will ever know kept saying that he could get it done.
    Well they were wrong, completely off base in their evaluation. This is one reason why I think Chan especially should leave (I suspect that Chan sold Fitz to Buddy and Ralph). What I thought I saw was obvious, but it was not obvious to Chan. I know nothing, and Chan apparently knows less. Buddy too should probably fold his tent.