Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Keep Gailey

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keep Gailey

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I thought about that too. At least with Jauron we could have had the 1st pick every year and had a chance with Luck without trying to tank the season , then I remembered the maybin pick.
    Oddly enough, this year if Jauron was still here, I think we might actually be playing a meaningful football game this Sunday.

I do know we wouldn't be sitting at 5-10 right now as his offense wouldn't have been tailored around Fitzsuck and throwing the ball constantly.

We'd be better defensively and would be running the ball a heck of a lot more with him in charge and that combined with our weak schedule, us sitting at 8-7 today or even 9-6 isn't too much of a stretch.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Oddly enough, this year if Jauron was still here, I think we might actually be playing a meaningful football game this Sunday.
    I doubt the bills would have gone 6-10 the year he was fired.
    I do know we wouldn't be sitting at 5-10 right now as his offense wouldn't have been tailored around Fitzsuck and throwing the ball constantly.
    trent would still be throwing 5 yard bombs for this team.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.

3. Post thanked by:

better days (12-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We'd be better defensively and would be running the ball a heck of a lot more with him in charge and that combined with our weak schedule, us sitting at 8-7 today or even 9-6 isn't too much of a stretch.
    If Jauron were still in Buffalo, he would have drafted 3 more Aaron Maybins & the Bills would still be 7-9. NO THANKS

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The thought of Sheppard trying to play Tampa 2 MLB makes me cringe.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

6. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (12-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I doubt the bills would have gone 6-10 the year he was fired.
    trent would still be throwing 5 yard bombs for this team.
    Because Ryan Fitzpatrick is so much better?

Also this years schedule opened itself up for an outside playoff shot with almost anyone...plus Jauron lucked out in one season for the Bears so it could have happened for him here too.

Trent wouldn't be here anymore regardless of HC.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Also this years schedule opened itself up for an outside playoff shot with almost anyone...plus Jauron lucked out in one season for the Bears so it could have happened for him here too.

Why do you think Trent would not be the QB if Jauron were still here? Dick stuck by Trent until the bitter end. That is the reason Dick is no longer in Buffalo. Just as Chan will be gone because he stuck with Fitz when he should have cut the cord on him.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As bad as Fitz is ,he's better than Trent for sure. Don't know about that, Trent was his anointed qb and stuck with him til he got fired. Besides, who would Jauron picked as a qb after the Maybin debacle? Even if he picked Luck, he would have turned Luck into a dink and dunk qb. It's his philosophy.

Jauron coulnd't beat the browns, don't think he could have beaten them this year either.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-28-2012 at 12:18 PM.

10. Post thanked by:

better days (12-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    The thought of Sheppard trying to play Tampa 2 MLB makes me cringe.
    Well nobody would complain about all his down field tackles, since he wouldn't be close enough to the receiver he was assigned to to actually make the tackle.

I'd still rather have Poz, even at his ****ty contract than Sheppard at is cheap contract. And I thought Poz sucked. Quite the double standard in fans criticism.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, this is really sad isn't it.

We had Trent for the Jauron era and Trent's backup for the Gailey era. Its no surprise both coaches failed. Gailey I blame less because Fitz showed hope and promise.

I'm very curious to know how Gailey feels about Fitz right now...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    Wow, this is really sad isn't it.

We had Trent for the Jauron era and Trent's backup for the Gailey era. Its no surprise both coaches failed. Gailey I blame less because Fitz showed hope and promise.

I'm very curious to know how Gailey feels about Fitz right now...
    Trent showed hope and promise at the beginning too. Then he got beat up due to poor offensive line play and he never was the same again.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

First, and please pay close attention to my standing on this, I am indifferent as to whether they should fire Gailey or keep him. Do not accuse me of wanting to keep him. That simply isn't true.

But, for the sake of argument, riddle me this:

Who exactly is WILLING to take this job that is an obvious upgrade?

Brian Shottenheimer turned down the chance to interview. If ANY marquee name is willing to take the job we should pounce.

Does anyone seriously think we can land a marquee HC? Even a highly touted college coach?

If not, we should be thinking about what exactly we accomplish by simply getting another Gailey type. Replacing a cheap knock-off HC with another cheap knock-off HC doesn't really do anything unless that new HC overachieves. It could happen but that's not a clear route to success.

And look, I understand anyone wanting to spew hate on the guy. His record is what it is. But, how many games did Gailey himself lose for us? Because it could be argued that the defensive scheme and crappy QB were the main culprits... Not Gailey. Even when he chose not to kick the question is whether he played percentages and knew the chance Lindell could hit a long kick was small.

Yes, Gailey has a part in starting Fitz and claiming he's just fine (which he could simply be doing just because he's supposed to as the HC), and starting Freddy too long. But that's less about coaching and more about loyalty to your starters or even talent evaluation. The loyalty should be expected from a HC; I can't really fault him for what he says publicly about Fitz. I can fault him for playing Freddy so much. And the eval part isn't primarily his job. It's a part of his job but not his primary one. He has to cook with the ingredients he has more than he gets to shop for the groceries. That's the way it is.

I can fault him for not playing CJ enough. But, I can't point to many glaring game day blunders that cost us games... I think a crappy DC and crappy QB cost us much more than Gailey did.

Will he stick with Wanny? I'm not so sure. Especially is he gets told he has to can him or be canned.

It would be easier for me to run him out of town is he had a whole bunch of game day blunders. He had some and some were poor play call choices on critical downs. There were some but not a huge number. And again, Fitz blew a ton of throws and plays.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Who exactly is WILLING to take this job that is an obvious upgrade?
    No one knows the answer to that, though it'd be hard to not find an upgrade over Gailey. Besides, three years ago ≠ right now. The Bills have some better talent and they're a more stable franchise with their new lease. Plus, in 2010, M. Schottenheimer, one of the winningest coaches ever, and Billick, who's well above .500 with a Super Bowl ring, both wanted the job if you're to believe Tim Graham (which I do). Who knows who else did?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But, to argue the other side, here's a few things too:

He had a 8 win roster IMO. He only won 5 (to date). He did call plays that asked Fitz to make critical throws. He can't be trusted and many of us in many of those game sat there and said to ourselves: "watch Fitz throw an INT to lose the game". If we can see it, you're telling me the coaches can't? If they truly can't then they can't put us in the best position to win.

He had two years of get-out-of-jail-free-cards with an inadequate roster. This roster is good enough for at least two more wins. His choice of a new DC and his choice to put the teams fortunes in Fitz's hands too often cost us as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But, to argue the other side, here's a few things too:

He had a 8 win roster IMO. He only won 5 (to date). He did call plays that asked Fitz to make critical throws. He can't be trusted and many of us in many of those game sat there and said to ourselves: "watch Fitz throw an INT to lose the game". If we can see it, you're telling me the coaches can't? If they truly can't then they can't put us in the best position to win.

He had two years of get-out-of-jail-free-cards with an inadequate roster. This roster is good enough for at least two more wins. His choice of a new DC and his choice to put the teams fortunes in Fitz's hands too often cost us as well.
    Have you looked at the Bills schedule this season? Bills played five games against teams with rookie starting QBs and an additional five games against teams with AWFUL QBs (KC, Jets, Titans, Arizona and jacksonville), with one more game to go against Sanchez.

How can Chan not win even half his games against this pathetic lot? Think of it, the Jets and Dolphins are both terrible and they still have managed at least as many wins as the Bills

And by the way, Chan gets the blame for hiring Wannstadt which was an awful choice from day one and reeks of cronyism even more now that we see the results.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Have you looked at the Bills schedule this season? Bills played five games against teams with rookie starting QBs and an additional five games against teams with AWFUL QBs (KC, Jets, Titans, Arizona and jacksonville), with one more game to go against Sanchez.

How can Chan not win even half his games against this pathetic lot? Think of it, the Jets and Dolphins are both terrible and they still have managed at least as many wins as the Bills

And by the way, Chan gets the blame for hiring Wannstadt which was an awful choice from day one and reeks of cronyism even more now that we see the results.
    Again, I'm looking at Fitz and the defense led by Wanny as the main culprit.

Gailey does take blame for hiring Wanny. I agree.

KC, Ari, and Jax were all wins.
    Titans I lay a lot of blame on Fitz.
    The first Jets outing I blame the Wanny led defense along with Fitz

Titans loss:

"And quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to raise questions about his inconsistencies. Though he finished 27 of 35 for 225 and three scores, he had two costly turnovers that led to Titans touchdowns. That included his ill-advised pass on third-and-6 that was intercepted by Jason McCourty at midfield with 2:57 to set up the decisive score.

Fitzpatrick blamed himself."I got greedy in a situation where I didn't have any business being greedy in," Fitzpatrick said, referring to his attempt to force a pass to Donald Jones at the right sideline. "It was a dumb throw and dumb decision by me. Third down, and game on the line, (coach) Chan (Gailey) put the ball in my hands, and I throw an interception. That one hurts.""

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321021002

First Jets game:

"Fitzpatrick was 18 of 32 for 195 yards and three touchdowns -- to Chandler, Stevie Johnson, Donald Jones -- and the three interceptions."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320909020

“To summarize it they were running too wide open and we didn’t get enough pressure on the passer,” said Gailey. “We stopped the run pretty good until they ran it some late. We stopped the run for the most part. We’ve just got too many people running too wide open right now and we’re not getting enough pressure on the passer and that’s something we’re going to address.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...1-948cf10d8837
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-28-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Titans I lay a lot of blame on Fitz.
    I realize Fitz had a couple of bad turnovers, but the Bills scored 34 points in that game and had 382 yards of offense. That wins most games.

Of course, the Bills defense allowed 35 points, 390 yards of offense and allowed 9-of-14 3rd down conversions. I'd say "a lot" of the blame lies there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    I realize Fitz had a couple of bad turnovers, but the Bills scored 34 points in that game and had 382 yards of offense. That wins most games.

Of course, the Bills defense allowed 35 points, 390 yards of offense and allowed 9-of-14 3rd down conversions. I'd say "a lot" of the blame lies there.
    Defense was also to blame; I agree.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It would be easier for me to run him out of town is he had a whole bunch of game day blunders. He had some and some were poor play call choices on critical downs. There were some but not a huge number. And again, Fitz blew a ton of throws and plays.

The list would be too long to post. it doesn't have to be something obvious to be a blunder, just the failure to adjust accordingly during the game is a major blunder and that's something that Gailey did throughout the season.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    There are lots of valid points here, no question about that. But I still feel that Gailey can improve and has an inside track on the team that will help him to fix what needs to be fixed.

You also have to take Nix into the equation. Nix has a good feel for what we all know needs to be fixed. I am fairly certain that he will ensure the issues are addressed.

Gailey, despite all his errors, can do better with better talent at key positions.

You guys forget that the Colts threw their OC in to the HC job and still did well. Luck is the reason for that. No one can tell me that Bruce Arians is such a special coach and the Colts have a super roster. Luck is the difference between us and them. And you can definitely argue that we have way more talent than they do on both sides of the ball.

Gailey made some errors this year, but with a talented QB he can have the Bills in the playoffs too.
    What part of reality are you in up there? Get a ****ing clue.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All of the idiots saying Fitz cost the games are right but who was the idiot that continued to start the bum? Chan ****ing Gailey. You're fired you stinking worthless waste of dna in a sperm.