• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrEd FTW
    • Sep 2008

Re: Keep Gailey

Funny thread.

15-32 overall. 3-14 against the AFC East. 5-19 on the road. One victory against a team with a winning record.

Anyone who wants that back deserves these horrific results.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TrEd FTW View Post
      Funny thread.

15-32 overall. 3-14 against the AFC East. 5-19 on the road. One victory against a team with a winning record.

Anyone who wants that back deserves these horrific results.
      I'm not surprised with the reaction really. Cinci fans were probably screaming for a new coach for 5 years. Marvin was crappy too, apparently he is good now.

I don't doubt that Gailey should have done some things differently, but I also don't doubt that no matter what he did differently this season, we were always going to lose because you just don't win in this league without a QB unless you have the 2000 Ravens D or the 2010 Jets.

I get that our record has been horrible with Gailey but I think we are putting way too much stock in the impact a coach has vs the impact a QB has.

Just look at Denver. Manning made that team a 13-3 team. Not John Fox.

If Gailey had either of the Mannings or even Schaub or Flacco we would not be in this position. Didn't everyone run Kevin Gilbride out of town because he was the worst OC ever? What now he is a genius suddenly?

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
        I'm not surprised with the reaction really. Cinci fans were probably screaming for a new coach for 5 years. Marvin was crappy too, apparently he is good now.

I don't doubt that Gailey should have done some things differently, but I also don't doubt that no matter what he did differently this season, we were always going to lose because you just don't win in this league without a QB unless you have the 2000 Ravens D or the 2010 Jets.

I get that our record has been horrible with Gailey but I think we are putting way too much stock in the impact a coach has vs the impact a QB has.

If Gailey had either of the Mannings or even Schaub or Flacco we would not be in this position. Didn't everyone run Kevin Gilbride out of town because he was the worst OC ever? What now he is a genius suddenly?
        If the absence of a QB is the real problem shouldn't Nix get fired for not addressing the position? Buddy has not even tried to upgrade the position - which was an obvious problem spot from the day he rejoined the organization as a scout.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by EDS View Post
          If the absence of a QB is the real problem shouldn't Nix get fired for not addressing the position? Buddy has not even tried to upgrade the position - which was an obvious problem spot from the day he rejoined the organization as a scout.
          Well its not like Buddy passed on a QB that was an obvious choice. Obviously he missed out on some diamonds in the rough like Dalton and Wilson and Kaepernick but those are toss up type players that had lots of question marks.

Nix has made some encouraging comments though about how he plans to address it and I am interested to see what he comes up with.

Comment

• starrymessenger
            • Oct 2009

Yer saying you never had any hope or any positive feel that Fitz could take us to the playoffs? If not then congrats to you.
            My view was always that Fitz was at best a journeyman backup. I was relying entirely upon what I thought I was seeing. After seeing the Jets game a couple of years ago at the Rogers Centre I wad absolutely convinced that he was not a starting NFL QB. I could not believe how inaccurate his throws were.
            But you know what? You are right. I did have (faint) hope that he could prove me wrong. I was prepared to defer judgement. The reason was that two people who have forgotten more football than I will ever know kept saying that he could get it done.
            Well they were wrong, completely off base in their evaluation. This is one reason why I think Chan especially should leave (I suspect that Chan sold Fitz to Buddy and Ralph). What I thought I saw was obvious, but it was not obvious to Chan. I know nothing, and Chan apparently knows less. Buddy too should probably fold his tent.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

I should add that Marvin Lewis took the Bengals to the playoffs in his third season with the team with an 11-5 record. Add that to the fact that he did not have a losing record in his first two seasons with the team (8-8 both seasons) after taking over a team that was 2-14 the prior season.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Yer saying you never had any hope or any positive feel that Fitz could take us to the playoffs? If not then congrats to you.
                Well, I HAD hope & a positive feel Fitz could take us to the playoffs, but that is LONG gone.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Well its not like Buddy passed on a QB that was an obvious choice. Obviously he missed out on some diamonds in the rough like Dalton and Wilson and Kaepernick but those are toss up type players that had lots of question marks.

Nix has made some encouraging comments though about how he plans to address it and I am interested to see what he comes up with.
                  Doing nothing is an indictment of Buddy's enture tenure as GM. You have to take a chance to win and he has failed to even roll the dice. The fact that there now appear to be multiple non-first round QBs drafted in the past two seasons with starting potential are the nails in his coffin.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Marvin Lewis went 8-8 his first year with Cincinnati. That's top-notch compared to the crap we've got. Also went 11-5 his third year. How on earth is Gailey at all comparable to Lewis?

Again, this whole idea that if Gailey has the right players, he'll be a great coach. No. Nearly every coach looks good with great players. Good coaching is different and you can see it even with bad players. Gailey is not a good coach.

Good grief, your post is beyond ridiculous.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Doing nothing is an indictment of Buddy's enture tenure as GM. You have to take a chance to win and he has failed to even roll the dice. The fact that there now appear to be multiple non-first round QBs drafted in the past two seasons with starting potential are the nails in his coffin.
                      It is not that Buddy did nothing these past 3 years. He has added many good players & kept good players from leaving. I think at least a couple QB's he had his eye on were drafted before he anticipated they would be & I expect him to draft one high this year. If he fails to do that, I will be on board with getting rid of him.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

I should add that Marvin Lewis took the Bengals to the playoffs in his third season with the team with an 11-5 record. Add that to the fact that he did not have a losing record in his first two seasons with the team (8-8 both seasons) after taking over a team that was 2-14 the prior season.
                        Didn't he have an in form Carson Palmer? Chad, Housh etc?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Marvin is not good now. Folks still scream.

He still can't tell time - ran them out of timeouts early in 2 close games this year.

His record of successful challenges is 29 out of 66.

He still believes that if a rookie doesn't look "good" in practice, he won't play. Finally started rookie Mohamed Sanu in game #10...garnered 4 tds in 3 games before breaking his foot in practice.

Lately, he decided to start C Kyle Cook, returning from 8-game IR. Sat down rookie C Trevor Robinson. Result: Dalton sacked 12 times in 2 games, 14 yards team rushing against PIT.

Gailey...
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
                            Marvin Lewis went 8-8 his first year with Cincinnati. That's top-notch compared to the crap we've got. Also went 11-5 his third year. How on earth is Gailey at all comparable to Lewis?

Again, this whole idea that if Gailey has the right players, he'll be a great coach. No. Nearly every coach looks good with great players. Good coaching is different and you can see it even with bad players. Gailey is not a good coach.

Good grief, your post is beyond ridiculous.
                            So a good coach takes bad players to the playoffs? When?

Also, I believe Gailey brought along Johnson, Jackson, Spiller, Chandler, entire OL, Nelson and Jones. Of those players ONE is a first rounder. The rest are 7th round or undrafted.

Is that not progressing and good coaching? When was the last time we had that many good players on offense?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Also, I believe Gailey brought along Johnson, Jackson, Spiller, Chandler, entire OL, Nelson and Jones. Of those players ONE is a first rounder. The rest are 7th round or undrafted.

Is that not progressing and good coaching? When was the last time we had that many good players on offense?
                              Progress is only measured in one way: wins.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                                • Sep 2012

Jackson, Levitre, Wood, and Johnson were already on the team when Gailey arrived. Jackson already had a 1000 yard season under his belt.

And let's be clear here, we aren't talking about a dominant unit here. He's taken past "average" once, and that was in the lockout season.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

Working...
                                X