X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Re: Keep Gailey

Ultimately, I'd like to see Gailey stick around as a consultant to the new OC. He can scheme. He can draw up plays. He can find matchups and exploit them. He gets production out of a bunch of cast offs. From Monday to Saturday he's a pretty solid OC.

But as a coach he's awful. He can't motivate. He has no interest in defense. He hasn't developed any younger coaches. And as a play caller he's awful. He brings very little to the organization.

Ideally, he could contribute in a role like Dick Lebeau filled for us years ago on defense. He seems like a nice enough guy and the players like him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Mahdi you'd have an argument if Gailey at least beat the teams he should've beaten . He didn't . He lost to the titans, Colts, fins. Teams that are in their first year and 2nd year of rebuilding and made Sanchez look like a franchise qb.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
        It is not that Buddy did nothing these past 3 years. He has added many good players & kept good players from leaving. I think at least a couple QB's he had his eye on were drafted before he anticipated they would be & I expect him to draft one high this year. If he fails to do that, I will be on board with getting rid of him.
        He did nothing to improve the most important position on the field that also happened to be one of the teams biggest weaknesses the day he took the GM job!!!!!!!! How is that not a complete fail given he has had three years to act? Look at the QBs who have come into the league in that time! Look at the impact of free agent signings like Payton Manning! Why not role the dice on a Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins? Both will be much better than Fitz and both could have easily been drafted, let alone Wilson, Dalton and Kaepernick. Neither Foles nor Cousins may end up as a long term answer but based on limited playing time they are likely to end up no worse then Fitz with more upside.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
          Marvin Lewis went 8-8 his first year with Cincinnati. That's top-notch compared to the crap we've got. Also went 11-5 his third year. How on earth is Gailey at all comparable to Lewis?

Again, this whole idea that if Gailey has the right players, he'll be a great coach. No. Nearly every coach looks good with great players. Good coaching is different and you can see it even with bad players. Gailey is not a good coach.

Good grief, your post is beyond ridiculous.
          Lewis had better quarterbacking which always helps. And Kubiak is another one who was kept until the quarterback situation became good enough to win. He did not have a winning season in his first 3 years.
          Last edited by X-Era; 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EDS View Post
            He did nothing to improve the most important position on the field that also happened to be one of the teams biggest weaknesses the day he took the GM job!!!!!!!! How is that not a complete fail given he has had three years to act? Look at the QBs who have come into the league in that time! Look at the impact of free agent signings like Payton Manning! Why not role the dice on a Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins? Both will be much better than Fitz and both could have easily been drafted, let alone Wilson, Dalton and Kaepernick. Neither Foles nor Cousins may end up as a long term answer but based on limited playing time they are likely to end up no worse then Fitz with more upside.
            Like I said, some QB's were drafted EARLIER than Gailey & most everyone else thought they would be. That list includeds Wilson, Dalton, Kaepernick, Cousins & Foles. Guys like Manning, Luck, RGIII, the Bills had no chance of getting. Like I said, if he fails to get us a GOOD QB this year, I will be on board with him being fired, but I expect him to get that QB this year, my hope is Mike Glennon.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
              So a good coach takes bad players to the playoffs? When?

Also, I believe Gailey brought along Johnson, Jackson, Spiller, Chandler, entire OL, Nelson and Jones. Of those players ONE is a first rounder. The rest are 7th round or undrafted.

Is that not progressing and good coaching? When was the last time we had that many good players on offense?
              That's a nice little straw man you created. I said you can see good coaching even with bad players. Don't remember saying anything about playoffs.

Chandler was a 4th rounder. Are you really giving Gailey credit for Fred Jackson? Levitre? Wood? These guys were all pretty good before Gailey even sniffed Buffalo air.

You seem to have a different definition of "good player" than I do. You've named 11 players on our offense and called them all good. But our offense blows, and apparently the ONLY reason is Fitzpatrick? Yeah, OK. Maybe it's just me, but if Fitzpatrick is so bad, why is he even here? You can talk about him fooling people all you want - Gailey saw him in practices, training camp, games, etc. At some point a good coach would have figured out this wasn't the guy. Or at least helped him improve. Why has neither of these things happened?

Talent is a lame excuse. The talent has been upgraded over the last three years. Not nearly as much as you seem to think it has been, but we've got two stars on the team that can be built around. Yet Gailey can only manage to eke out one more win than he did in 2010? Like I said, good coaching can be seen even despite poor talent. I don't see good coaching from Gailey with or without talent.

By the way, you gave Peyton Manning as an example of a QB making the difference. He improved Denver from 8 wins to 12 or 13. Jim Harbaugh went to San Fran and improved them from 6 wins to 13 without a QB change. I don't think that using singular examples proves anything (especially when you pick out one of the best QB's to ever play the game), but since that's how you wanted to play, there's a piece of evidence for coaching.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                Lewis had better quarterbacking which always helps. And Kubiak is another one who was kept until the quarterback situation became good enough to win. He did not have a winning season in his first 3 years.
                The quarterbacking excuse is still a lame one. If Fitz isn't good, then either help him improve or find someone who is good. I know finding a QB isn't easy, but consider that they didn't even actually try to find someone. And Fitz has certainly not improved.

Kubiak actually showed improvement. And coincidentally, Houston started doing well when they hired a really good defensive coach. Gailey simply hires his old buddies who suck. That doesn't exactly scream good coach to me. Kubiak's worst season was 6-10. Gailey's best season is 6-10. Again, not really comparable, IMO.

I think people are over-analyzing. I watch the games and the team is just not coached well. Yes, I've seen some player development. Yes, I've seen one or two good games by Gailey. But unfortunately, you can't play the Chiefs every week. I've seen a lot, lot more bad than good. As much as I wish otherwise, Gailey is a bad coach. I gave him a chance and I don't see any reason why he should stay in Buffalo past next Monday.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• warsawbassman
                  • Oct 2006

Marvin Lewis has had two really bad years in Cincy...........08, and 10' . Guess who his QB was for most of 08.....Fitz. You can't win with this guy. Probably unless you have an all time great head coach, and a team loaded with top notch talent on both sides of the ball, it's now been proven beyond a doubt that no team with out that will win with him, he is the biggest problem. Give Gailey a good QB and we would be better. How much better??? Who knows? I feel confident in saying probably at least .500 for the last two years........which is still not good enough. So IMHO they both should go.
                  Last edited by warsawbassman; 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

I'm not even going to bother going back and reading the entire thread, but Gailey has made more than enough mistakes in every facet of his responsibilities with zero positive results on the W-L record that cutting ties with him is the only answer at this point.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

He too indecisive in crunch time and hasn't a clue about Defense.

Plus we all missed the commitment ceremony where he married Fitz for life.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsFever21
                        • Aug 2004

Anybody who really thinks that Gailey can turn this team into a good consistent winner are probably the same type of fans who thought that we should've kept Jauron around too.

I'm so sick of seeing these posts and debating about this worthless pile of junk that we call a HC that's it not even worth anymore of my time.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Chan still has one believer left.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            Like I said, some QB's were drafted EARLIER than Gailey & most everyone else thought they would be. That list includeds Wilson, Dalton, Kaepernick, Cousins & Foles. Guys like Manning, Luck, RGIII, the Bills had no chance of getting. Like I said, if he fails to get us a GOOD QB this year, I will be on board with him being fired, but I expect him to get that QB this year, my hope is Mike Glennon.
                            If this statement doesn't prove how incompetent Nix & Gailey are nothing else does. It's Nix's & Gailey's friggin jobs not to be outsmarted in the draft. The list you stated has 5 guys where other teams OUTSMARTED Nix & or Gailey. A good draft rule is that after the 1st round, if you feel a player, and this goes 10x for a QB, has starting potential & you are high on him, you don't get cute & try to project when he will be available because if you think he has potential & your name is Buddy Nix, either he has no potential or there are about a dozen or more GMs who think he has potential & at least one of them will make damn sure he drafts him before you.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                              If this statement doesn't prove how incompetent Nix & Gailey are nothing else does. It's Nix's & Gailey's friggin jobs not to be outsmarted in the draft. The list you stated has 5 guys where other teams OUTSMARTED Nix & or Gailey. A good draft rule is that after the 1st round, if you feel a player, and this goes 10x for a QB, has starting potential & you are high on him, you don't get cute & try to project when he will be available because if you think he has potential & your name is Buddy Nix, either he has no potential or there are about a dozen or more GMs who think he has potential & at least one of them will make damn sure he drafts him before you.
                              Well, Nix has had 3 drafts. I doubt he wanted to even draft a QB in the first 2 drafts unless one fell in his lap because there were so many holes to fill. I was really disappointed he did not draft a QB in this last draft. Like I said I will see how this next draft goes. If he drafts a GOOD QB, all is GOOD. If not, then I am on board with his going.

Comment

• JoeMama
                                Emotion Sickness
                                • Oct 2002

Lolz @ Nix.

Why draft good players when there are so many bad DB's to draft???
                                Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                                X